Author Topic: couple quick OS X questions  (Read 4140 times)

Offline daisy55

couple quick OS X questions
after some poking around online, i've found myself here, which seems to be the place to be for questions/help.

starting from a thread on macrumors, i got the version of fs2_open from versiontracker installed and the game runs just fine.  also, after coming here, i noticed some more recent build, so i currently have the binaries that came with the VT version, as well as the 3.6.9RC7 builds.

what i'm a little iffy on is how to enable all the extra stuff.  so far what i've done is this:
got mv_core, mv_effects, mv_models, mv_music, and mv_textures, put them in a folder called "mediavps" in my freespace2 directory. (got them from this thread - http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,37272.0.html)

i've created the file "cmdlin_fso.cfg" in ~/Library/FS2_Open/data  inside it is "-mod mediavps" (which i got after reading a thread on ars.technica, that said it would load those vps like any other mod if i did it this way.

so far, i've been able to see the upgrade herc model in the tech room (and it looks great) and the nebula (in the first training mission, in the distance) looks a bit better (i think) but i still have the feeling i'm not doing something quite right.

i'm wondering if i have the right versions of the binary/vp files, and i have a sneaking suspicion i need to add some extra arguments to my cmdline file.  but most forums i've read all suggest different things, and often for different versions, so i'm at a bit of a loss.  any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: couple quick OS X questions
Most stuff is disabled by default, even with the MediaVPs installed, so it's not all that strange that you think that you're missing something.  I don't know what sort of hardware you have, so I'll go a bit safe with these options, but also add "-glow -spec -img2dds -mipmap -2d_poof -env -alpha_env" to your cmdline_fso.cfg file (remember that all options have to be on the first line of the file).  That should enable most of the good stuff if you have some half-decent hardware.

You do also need to make sure that you have the correct MediaVPs installed when using 3.6.9RC7 however.  You need to get the "Zeta" VPs, plus the so-called "710" patches too.  You can grab all of that from here.

Those newer MediaVPs will NOT be compatible with the version of the binaries that came with the VT download though, so be careful about trying to use the old build still.

Offline daisy55

hey taylor,

thanks for the quick reply.  you're mrt from the macforums thread, if i've been following this all correctly?  i appreciate all the work that went into this, and your support as well.

i'm on a powerbook g4, 1.5ghz, 1gb RAM.  those settings you mentioned, i'll add them into my conf file, thanks.  i assume it's safe to just add them right after the -mod mediavps part then?  do i need commas, or just the - flags?  i'll fiddle with some trial and error of course, it'd just be nice to have some definite answers.

i believe i downloaded the zeta VPs, but i will double check.  the 710 patches, i assume i just place these in my mediavp folder, along with the zeta VPs?

thanks in advance:)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
you're mrt from the macforums thread, if i've been following this all correctly?
Well, "mtr" (my initials), but yeah. ;)

i assume it's safe to just add them right after the -mod mediavps part then?  do i need commas, or just the - flags?
Correct, and just the - flags.  They don't have to be in any particular order, just so long as all options are listed on the first line and are separated by spaces. 

i believe i downloaded the zeta VPs, but i will double check.  the 710 patches, i assume i just place these in my mediavp folder, along with the zeta VPs?
The link that you gave was to the older set of VPs, so I just wanted to be sure.  And yes, just put the 710 patches in the same folder as the rest of the MediaVPs and the game will do the rest.

Offline daisy55

fantastic:)  did as you said, with all the files you linked, and it can definitely see a difference.  think i might head out today and pick up a joystick to enjoy this game again.

sorry about mixing up your initials! 

again, thanks for all the help.  this'll be a blast.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
might also want to try -ambient_factor .75 :nervous:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
might also want to try -ambient_factor .75 :nervous:
Actually just something like -ambient_factor 75 (no intial dot).  I don't know when/why people started doing that crap, but it's wrong.  The value is supposed to be an integer percentage, not a float.  Doing it wrong won't work with the new launcher (it would just see this as 0, not .75) so you might as well get the values right now rather than having to worry about it not working at all for you later. :)

Offline daisy55

so far, all is well:)

i'll try throwing that ambient factor in there too.

one thing - i've noticed that i seem to be getting a lot of crashes, and i think i can pinpoint where.

whenever i'm fighting a capital ship, and get in close (for example, fighting the tiamat in the stealth squadron misson, or the blockade running ones), the sound will cut out, and it crashes to the desktop a few seconds later.

i'm thinking it might have to do with all the flak/explosions/beams/big ships on screen so close, as if i stay >1500m or so, i'm okay.

just wondering if there was any way to fix this.

i'm on a powerbook g4, 1.5 ghz, 1gb am.  my cmdline file is exactly what was posted up here earlier.

thanks for all the help guys:)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
whenever i'm fighting a capital ship, and get in close (for example, fighting the tiamat in the stealth squadron misson, or the blockade running ones), the sound will cut out, and it crashes to the desktop a few seconds later.

i'm thinking it might have to do with all the flak/explosions/beams/big ships on screen so close, as if i stay >1500m or so, i'm okay.

just wondering if there was any way to fix this.
It's been reported a couple of times, and is in Mantis, but I have no idea why it happens.  I can't reproduce it either which makes it rather difficult to fix.  If you don't mind posting your crash log somewhere that I can get at it, I'll take a look and see if there is anything new which might help find and fix this problem.

And I know it will take a bit of the fun out of the game, but you can run with -nosound in cmdline_fso.cfg and it will disable all sounds.  It won't be as interesting to play, but it won't crash due to sound related issues either.  This would probably be a good thing to do for a game or two anyway since it will tell us for sure that the crash is deffinitely related to sound and not something more general.

Offline daisy55

sure thing, i can post a crash log

does it just get output to the console?  or does the crash dialog give me an option to display it?

i'll try it with and without sound, too

thanks again

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Crash Reporter should keep track of it for you.  Just look in your user folder for Library/Logs/CrashReporter/FS2_Open.crash.log (or FS2_Open-debug.crash.log if you were running the debug build) and that should be all that I need.  Whatever this crash is it seems to be partially system related, so the normal game debug logs won't have much in the way of useful info in them.  The Crash Reporter logs have tons of detail though, so that's the most help.

Offline daisy55

you got it.

when i get home from work i'll try that out.

Offline daisy55

hey there, just happened - on the mission where you need to destroy the sathanas' forward beam turrets

also, i added some stuff to my cmdline file, it reads like this now:

-mod mediavps -glow -spec -img2dds -mipmap -2d_poof -env -alpha_env -ambient_factor 75 -fps -missile_lighting -dualscanlines -decals -ballistic_gauge

also, my crash log is too big to post - is this a specific part you need, or should i email/upload it somewhere?

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
COMMAND: INCOMING JUMP SIGNATURE! NEW USER CONFIGURATION!

Helm! Ready all beam cannons!
Lock Beam Cannons and fire on my command!
FIRE!

NO, YOU IDIOT! USE THE BIG BEAM CANNON!
FIRE!
:welcome:

Welcome to HLP! Exits are to the right and left. In the event of a landing of any kind, you can and will be used as a flotation device. Flamethrowers are conviniently located under your seats, however, due to the recent funding cuts, a $3.5 million donation is required to obtain a flamethrower with a full load of napalm in it. If you do not wish to make a donation, your flamethrower will remain filled with water. If you don't wish to donate and still want a working weapon, you'd have to try the weapons locker. However, only HLP Admins, a :v: God, or a Hyperintelligent shade of Blue can open the lock, so you'd have to break in. If you find yourself inside a ventilation shaft and you catch a glimpse of a Shivan, you don't need to worry... much. It's just Carl, and you have two choices with how you want to deal with him:
    1. The first possible course of action is getting one of the weapons from the afore-mentioned weapons locker, and trying to ward off Carl by threatening him with the weapon. Be advised that many of the weapons in the weapons locker are covered with the blood of people who thought it a good idea to break into the weapons locker and use the procured weapon to ward off Carl. So, please, if you decide you want to choose this course of action, choose one of the already-bloody weapons, so you don't get blood all over one of the clean ones.
   2. Your second course of action when you see Carl is to throw your lunch to him and hope he isn't hungry. This is the better option.
   As a final note, please remember that any attempt to use the ASCII characters 0046h, 0053h, and 0033h in sequential order will result in you being trampled by Freespace Fanboys. Your trampled remains will be fed to Carl so that the rest of us don't have to carry around so much food for lunch.

normally you SHOULD be able to click the words "Additional Options" right below the reply text box and add the file. However, the admins need to clean out the older uploads to make more room, as we have run out.

In the meantime, just zip it and upload it to someplace like www.file-front.com or something. whatever site you like.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline daisy55

righto, then, thanks

i tried the mission again, this time removing my cmdline_fso.cfg file, to see if disabling everything would have any effect

i got a bit further this time (sathanas jumped out) but a new warship arrived, and when i got too close and it opened up it's beam turrets, i crashed back to the desktop.

i uploaded the crash log at http://www.thescot.net/incoming

i posted the normal file, and a zipped version, both are the same

this crash was the one after i disable all the addons, i thought i'd saved the other one, but i did not

let me know what else i can do

Offline daisy55

just tried running with -nosound on, did the mission (bearbaiting) without a hitch.

i'm starting to notice this crash more frequently now, it also cropped up while trying out the Dues Ex Machina campaign.

as you suggested, it sounds (no pun intended) like it might be a sound issue.

-nosound isn't so bad, it's pretty cool to be fighting in the void, everything silent (hearing chatter would be cool, but i can manage).  also, i find myself making my own engine and gun noises, i feel like a little kid.

as always, anything i can do to help, i'm more than willing :)

edit:  the more i fiddle, the more it definitely seems like a sound issue.  i uploaded another crash log to http://www.thescot.net/incoming (i just stuck a "2" at the end of the file)

runs file with sound off, about 50/50 with it on at this point
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:47:03 pm by daisy55 »