Poll

Should we get a project together to give Derelict an Alternative Voice track ?

Yes.
3 (15.8%)
No.
6 (31.6%)
Maybe some parts only, but keep some existing work.
3 (15.8%)
Just improve the technical aspects but keep the voices the same.
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: March 03, 2007, 09:44:35 pm

Author Topic: Alternate Voice Acting for Derelict  (Read 9464 times)

Offline AlexG

Re: Alternate Voice Acting for Derelict
I've just started playing Derelict and I wouldn't change the voices now, if for no other reason than I feel attached to the characterizations that go along with the voice action that has been done so far. It would be like... changing who these characters are. I don't see that there is anything wrong with them.

Now, what I WOULD like to see done would be for someone (and sure, I'll volunteer) to go in and maximize the volume without clipping and apply a full dynamic range filter. I've got a fair bit of sound editing skills, as some friends and I are making a Star Wars Fan Audio production. So, if people are interested in the sounds staying the same, but becoming fuller and louder... just say the word.

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Yes. Also, I would love to know how.

maybe use the compression thingy that I don't fully understand to make the voices louder.

All I did was turn music and efx down, and voices all the way up, then played with my computer's overall volume control.  That made it so I could hear them.  But it did somewhat destroy the higher frequencies of the voices, I.E. they all sounded muffled.  The voices themselves aren't superb by a professional standpoint, but they're nothing terrible, and they're just fine for a fan-based mod.  One guy was kinda whispery, but it's not like they all spoke in monotone or anything.  I think it's better than some of you are giving it credit for, all things considered.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Anyone try Audacity?  (Open Source)  That, plus remember even with a decent mic, a bad sound card will ruin it.

I use Audacity and Compress my files... it does pretty good.  IIRC, you can even export to .OGG .

BTW, I think the original crew did a good job... but I think they should redo it with better mics, progs, sound cards, or whatever the problem was...
Of course, that would cost $$$, wouldn't it?  Shoot. 

Most of the voices were well done but only two I think need some improvement:

- Lt. Tom Faulkner: The main beef is that his briefing voices are unfiltered with a lot of noise and as a result sound very sloppy.  I have no objections to having him reprise the voice, but if he could redo these with a better mic then it would be ok.  Better yet to have someone clean up his voice files and repackage them.

- Terran Command (not to be confused with Tau Sigma command):  This voice is definitely that of a kid.  Anyone doing Terran Command needs to have a voice of authority.  Mongoose did a good job with Tau Sigma command, just find someone like him.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:32:16 pm by Tahna Los »

Offline AlexG

I could get a noise print and remove some of the BG noise on Faulkner. I downloaded VPVIEW... do I need anything else in order to be able to get at the voice files? I'll re-master a few of these and upload them to Filefront for your approval. If we like them... how hard would it be to create a patch for the original? I don't want to screw up the missions for people. Are there any specific sound formats I need to use in order for use in-game? I know some of the old games I used to mod, you had to use a very specific sampling rate and all that. Let me know.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Nope, all you need is VPView. Just select all the voice files in "special", right click and click extract. :)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

The voice files are separate from the missions.  The Mission briefings are located in the second Derelict VP while debriefing files are in the fourth.

Offline AlexG

OK, I will try a few samples and have a link for you, probably by tomorrow night or Thursday afternoon.