Author Topic: Orion Style Mainhalls [Original Dev Thread]  (Read 115828 times)

Nice use of 1Pt Perspective, really gives the Bastion hangar a sense of scale. Awesome. ;)

Edit: Oh wait, the original did so also (but not as precisely? hmm). Still, it's good work.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:18:00 pm by Lukeskywalkie »
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Gents. Here is the Bastion WIP I promised. Just need to finish the walls, ceiling, and floor. After that I add the two carts and missile rack.

One thing I want to say that pertains to both Bastion and Galatea mainhalls I'm making. Consider them more like upgrades than simple remakes. There are things that I have deliberately changed and some things that I've improved. Simply put, I'm really trying to capture the *FEEL* of the originals rather than recreate them vertex for vertex.

You could add struts or some sort of support under those bombers. It always bothered me that the Medusa was laying on its weapon pod. Granted it's a sturdy design but I doubt it should hold up like that.

I wonder if you and Water could share resources to improve each other's work. He's created a cool "hanger"/"strut" system, I wonder if you could adapt it for the Bastion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 03:48:24 pm by Flaser »
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Yeah, my question is - what do they do with the Herc 2's?  Most of the other ships look like they could support themselves if necessary, or would have the room for a small landing strut (X-wing/Y-Wing style), but the Valkerie and the Herc 2 have some serious 'vertical' to contend with.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They get supported in special docking cradles similar to the ones used for the Herc 1, I guess.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This is beyond awesome.  I have an intense desire to stroll around those hangars now. :D

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
****! that looks great.
el hombre vicio...

Offline T-LoW

• Planet Earth is blue and theres nothing left to do
    • German Freespace-Galaxy
I second that.

But I have one general question:

How do the hangar crews manage not to die in vacuum because of the big open gate back there?
Okay, then you could say: Shield systems! But they had no shield systems before the shivans arrived and there is nobody with a spacesuit running around. Even with shield systems you have to shut them down to a very low level so ships could get past through it. Has this been discussed before?

Despite that small fact: It's great ;)
The german Freespace-Galaxy

"There was a time before we were born. If someone asks this is where I'll be."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
It was never explained, though in the original render, there does seem to be some film of crap over the opening, even though it's transparent for the most part.

Either way, we've seen what Terrans look like in vacuum Zero-G, and we've seen what they wear in pressurized hangar chambers.

Explanation doesn't matter when we already know the supposed behavior. All it takes is simply emulating it and coming up with whatever explanation you want for it.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i'm just going to assume they had a "vacuum shield".  not good enough for weapons but somehow keeps the air in. :)
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
there was discussion of shield systems in the tech description of whatever the heat seeker was called, and it was in service before the shivans showed up, so the GTA had SOME shielding tech of some sort before the Shivans showed up, it would make sence if it was of a level that would allow air preserving shields.

also I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Styx had a completed GTA Marine model that would probably be useful here.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yeah, a "deflector array" at Ross 128, against which the MX-50 was ineffective.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
i'm just going to assume they had a "vacuum shield".  not good enough for weapons but somehow keeps the air in. :)
Just substitute the comparable Star Trek/Wars tech.  I'm sure that's what :v: did. :p

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
also I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Styx had a completed GTA Marine model that would probably be useful here.

Eh? How detailed? Because the Marine I create/use I want to be the same one that I will use for the cutscenes (Hall fight anybody?)

Anyone have this model?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it was intended for such animations. you should try to contact him about it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Ya, the Terrans having some sort of shielding tech would only make sense, because otherwise, you wouldn't expect them to be able to reverse engineer Shivan shields that quickly.  IMHO anyways.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't disagree with the shielding stuff, but from my studies of the reference images, I'm pretty sure that open area in Bastion is a window and not a launch tunnel. If it were the launch tunnel, the doors on the right lead outside the ship... not to mention the lack of seeing the runway outside. Also, the hi-res render shows a light gradient over the open area, suggesting refraction of light from some sort of transparent material. I have concluded that the Bastion mainhall is located on some sort of fighter storage deck or something.

If we consider this a window...

http://imagebin.org/index.php?mode=image&id=113113

it could fit quite nicely.

With all that said... we are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole canonically speaking. The Orion model and the Bastion mainhall were clearly not designed with each other in mind...

Offline Kolgena

That'd be a huge-ass window. Just sayin.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
...it's probably an emergency landing slot, to bring in damaged craft and scramble fighters in case the main launch facilities are taken out.

If I were to design the ship, I'd put a retractable armor over it, and in case the it really hit the fan, the flight officer could retract the armor, blow the "glass" (evacuate all non-suited personal before) and convert the whole staging area into a zero-G vacuum area, so ships can just fly out on their own power.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
All the modelling (aside from characters) is completed for Bastion! Now on to texturing.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:59:01 am by mjn.mixael »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Wow, that was fast.