Author Topic: Big Installer Problems Thread  (Read 2261 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Big Installer Problems Thread
Note that I've only verified two out of three of these.

1. The installer's opening text still refers to 3.6.10. This is confusing users, even experienced ones. Needs to be updated to make it explicit that it installs 3.6.12.

2. The installer will crash and burn and install nothing if you don't select 'The Works'. This was true last time I tried to run it and several users have verified it. I'm not sure if this 100% reproducible.

3. (is this actually an issue?) The Installer takes hours (like 10+) to download all its content. Question is, is this a problem we can do something about, or just an issue with the enormous filesize?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Big Installer Problems Thread
Any way to make it use www.gameupdates.org (yeah, server-backed legal files only torrent site.. no original assets I suppose, but maybe you could put the MVPs + mods on it?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Any way to make it use www.gameupdates.org (yeah, server-backed legal files only torrent site.. no original assets I suppose, but maybe you could put the MVPs + mods on it?

Not to my admittedly limited understanding of torrents. The installer must be easy to update and having a bunch of seeds for an old torrent out there is bad, right?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Not necessarily, you can can delete an old torrent. (I've done it before.)  Let me check on that...

EDIT: from the FAQ:

Downloading

Why did an active torrent suddenly disappear?

There may be three reasons for this:
(1) The torrent may have been out-of-sync with the site rules.
(2) The uploader may have deleted it because it was a bad release. A replacement will probably be uploaded to take its place.
(3) Torrents may be deleted when the get obsolete.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I find that the installer will bugger up if it can't connect to Sectorgame.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
As mentioned previously, the installer is in the process of being updated.  This has suffered some delays but I hopefully should have a beta version done this weekend.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
With the coming surge of new visitors wanting to download FS Open due to the PC Gamer article, it is now more important than ever to keep the installer working properly.  :eek:
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Well, the thing I'm worried about is if you get a surge and they can't download it or it takes too long or has too many problems.  People will just give up.  :(

So, hopefully I can have this stuff uploaded to gameupdates.org, then at least people will be able to get it no matter what.