Author Topic: RELEASE: Machina Terra - model dump  (Read 75138 times)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Re: RELEASE: Machina Terra - model dump
missions, but was there ever anything prepared for the rest?  And is there any documentation for the main campaign proper?

There are 2 documents for campaign 1 is the Master one that has every detail plot details, cutscene stuff for the 7 that were planned and stuff like that.. and another is has more detailed on missions what supposed to be there etc.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
mongoose if you want to discuss things on this nature feel free to pm me.  it may take me afew days to get back with you, between work and school my time is very limitted right now.  but I will get back with you.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think I'll do that. :)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
It's a shame that it was never finished, but it's good that you guys decided to release the files. I can't even count how many hours of work I've put into this, from models to textures to missions to weapon animations (if it wasn't lost or changed, mission 4 is by yours truly, and it was one hell of a confusing mess but I loved playing it). We've also had some of the greatest people from the modding community putting effort into this, all the way back to Dark, who created the Charon and designed the textures for the Terran Forces ships way back in 2001, I think. Anyone remember him?

There was a time, back when the VBB was still active, when MT was the project to go for groundbreaking stuff in FS2. It all became commonplace, and the project's ambition ended up becoming its downfall. But it was a good effort, and I hope everyone enjoyed working on it, and whoever downloads the released content enjoys it as well.

Edit: Also, check the cutscenes! I loved working on them. I'll see if I still have some unreleased ones at home and post them.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
MT was one of the early, now-dead projects that inspired me to get into FreeSpace modding.

I definitely remember Dark. I recently learned that he worked on a FreeSpace campaign with a man (Chris L'Etoile) who ended up designing the Mass Effect setting for BioWare and writing the in-game codex.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Sweet, the old guard.  Good to see you Styxx. :)

Just looking back up this thread, I'd almost forgotten about getting in touch with ShadowWolf to see what could be done with the unfinished material.  Note to self: get on that again.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
For those who don't want to bother downloading the whole pack to check the cutscenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca4GOPAaSpY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiyGtHwo_IU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8qnRBMSFDI

Offline starlord

that's not helping, sir! Now my curiosity is even more piqued!

Speaking of which, might anyone say more regarding the warhammer destroyer?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:17:40 am by starlord »

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
that's not helping, sir! How my curiosity is even more piqued!

Speaking of which, might anyone say more regarding the warhammer destroyer?

What do you want to know? I assume you saw the pictures:

I don't think it was ever textured... The original version was simpler and used the Hecate textures.

There was a lot more work done on the cutscenes, but none in "done" status as those... Including some work on the one I tought would be the most awesome moment in the campaign, showing the Shivans jumping from their own ships to board the Apocalypse. Never could get their motion quite right, though, and the surface of the Apocalypse always looked wonky; even with all the details from the texture actually modeled and with a ton of added small-scale detail, it was too bland a landscape. Of course, that was early on, and I never really got back to it - if I had put in the effort on that one that I put on the Demogorge main hall scene it would have ended up much better.

I got to remember to check for this when I'm at home to see if there's anything else worth posting.

Offline starlord

I personnally see a lot of awesome in there, and who knows, they may be reused by shadowwolf or moongoose should they stir MT back up!

as far as the warhammer goes, it strikes me as small for a destroyer...

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
I personnally see a lot of awesome in there, and who knows, they may be reused by shadowwolf or moongoose should they stir MT back up!

as far as the warhammer goes, it strikes me as small for a destroyer...

It is smaller; between a corvette and a destroyer. There should be an explanation for it on the tech room description, I think, but somehow it got switched by "A big ship, yes." :p

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
I like the cutscenes... I would also like to know how difficult it is to make something like that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like the cutscenes... I would also like to know how difficult it is to make something like that.

Very! You'll need to pick up 3D modeling as a start.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
I've already been trying to make ships in Blender... I assume cutscenes are more difficult.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Rendering is a different but related skillset - not necessarily any more or less difficult, but difficult in a different way.

That said, if you don't know how to model, you're going to have a harder time rendering, because you will inevitably come up against situations where the assets you want to render (often more complex than just ships) aren't available to you, and have to be made from scratch.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Man, the whole weekend went by and I didn't find the time to upload the other stuff I wanted to. Crap.

Offline Legate Damar

• Hail Cardassia!
Rendering is a different but related skillset - not necessarily any more or less difficult, but difficult in a different way.

That said, if you don't know how to model, you're going to have a harder time rendering, because you will inevitably come up against situations where the assets you want to render (often more complex than just ships) aren't available to you, and have to be made from scratch.

How hard is it to make one of those green swirly subspace vortex things?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken