Author Topic: Problem with FSport  (Read 5648 times)

Worked like a charm, thank you very much for the fix and quick reply!

I had the same issue with the Typhon and with the patched model and cache things seem to be working now.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:yes: Good to hear.  With any luck we'll have a patched version of FSPort released within the week.

Hey everybody, I am having the same problem Maddox described, even though I'm running 3.6.18, which I suppose should have sorted this kind of problems. I reinstalled FS2, FS2_Open FSPort only this night :-/.
I cannot even view the Typhon entry in the Techroom in FSPort, it works fine in regular FS2_Open, though. I copied the patch linked in the release thread into fsport-mediavps, but it didn't help.
I also tried putting the files Yarn posted both into the fsport-mediavps folder and the regular data folder (not at the same time, of course), but the problem persists. Where exactly do I have to put these files, and how - in their folders or just the "naked" file? I'm afraid this is an awfully stupid question, but nothing I tried worked so far.

Here is my logfile - however, I can't get a logfile since I installed the patch for whatever reason.

IBX: Safety Check Failure!  The file doesn't contain enough data, deleting 'Typhon.bx'

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
KERNEL32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
KERNEL32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! SCP_DumpStack + 354 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! Warning + 416 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! interp_configure_vertex_buffers + 962 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! create_vertex_buffer + 814 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! model_load + 1753 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! techroom_select_new_entry + 450 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! techroom_do_frame + 759 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! game_do_state + 333 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! gameseq_process_events + 237 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! game_main + 782 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! WinMain + 330 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! __tmainCRTStartup + 358 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_18_DEBUG_NO-SSE.exe! WinMainCRTStartup + 15 bytes
KERNEL32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 03:48:03 am by Stormcrow »
Ride! Ride now! Ride for death, ride for ruin!
And the world's ending!

Offline Yarn

I also tried putting the files Yarn posted both into the fsport-mediavps folder and the regular data folder (not at the same time, of course), but the problem persists. Where exactly do I have to put these files, and how - in their folders or just the "naked" file? I'm afraid this is an awfully stupid question, but nothing I tried worked so far.
You're supposed to extract the zip file to fsport-mediavps and keep the zip file's folder structure. In effect, Typhon.pof should be in fsport-mediavps\data\models, and Typhon.bx should be in fsport-mediavps\data\cache.

Even better, grab the Typhon patch from the FSPort release thread, which is a VP containing exactly the same files (look for the yellow text near the beginning of the thread).
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Thanks for the clarification - however, I tried both this and putting the Patch vp into the fsport folders (both together and separately), and the problem is still there. One I click the Typhon in the Tech Room, the game freezes and I have to ctrl-alt-del to get out, without getting a debug log (even though I activated the debug exe in the launcher).
And the world's ending!

Offline Yarn

The patch VP is supposed to go in fsport-mediavps, not fsport or any "data" folder. And there's no reason to use the patch VP together with my package; both contain identical files.

The most likely reason the game appears to be frozen in your case is that it's rebuilding the cache file for the Typhon (because the cache file in the FSPort MediaVP is apparently broken), and because FSPort's Typhon model is very complex, this can take several minutes or longer to complete. You should still install the patch correctly because it fixes a number of major problems with that model.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Okay, I think that was it - it took some two minutes, but is working fine now. Thanks again! :)
And the world's ending!