Author Topic: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY  (Read 31635 times)

Re: A complete FS ship tutorial -- EXTREMELY IMAGE HEAVY
Thank ou very much for this tutorial. I aprechiate it very much.
Btw I think that one point which would be nice to include in the future is how to create those ship icons in the HUD.
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
You are welcome, it was actually fun to do, up til the end.  I was actually thinking that onpce this tut is completely finished (advanced section),  that I might go ahead and do a tut on Icons.
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Very very good job! Far better than any video tutorials I could find on youtube (not made by peaple of HLP's forum anyway)! I easily learnt just what I needed to model spaceships and now I'm having very good times with blender! Thank you very much!

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Thank you and you are very welcome.  I'm just glad that people are using it.

Casualties of War

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sorry I haven't made more progress on this so far, as well as not having checked that issue you wanted me to check yet. I will probably set aside some time to do so this weekend. :)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
no problem, I left you a message earlier in the thread, the size was messed up.  I fixed it in the tutorial.

Casualties of War

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
You should use projections for insignia instead of positioning manually; it's much easier.

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
I don't know how but if you want to shoot me a PM and explain it I'll be more than happy to change the tutorial to reflect that

Casualties of War

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Turret Section Uploaded to chapter 9.  Both Single part and Multi part.

Remember, links to each chapter are in Green at the beginning of the first post. 

Casualties of War

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Is it a good idea to use Blender 2.67a's "Smart UV Project" feature [UV window/select model/press U/menu] to unwrap a model rather than unwrapping it manually? It seems like it would do the unwrapping job a lot quicker, but I just want to make sure it would produce an acceptable result.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
I find that smart UV project is usefull for AO bakes while modelling, but once the model is set you want to make your UVs manually before texturing. I tend to choose "project from view" for mostly plain surfaces, "unwrap" for more curvy ones and "follow active quads" for some specific cases like weapons barrels. It improves the workflow while texturing, but no automated mapping can understand this. Also, I scale UV island according to their importance (detailed parts get upscaled, poorly visible or plain parts get downscaled. Finally, cramping your UV islands manually let's you get bigger UVs which in turns means more details. And lately I've been putting debris textures into the main texture, which means I have to reserve the space up beforehand.
So, I don't think there's an alternative to the manual process, except for some very simple models.

This tutorial is absolutely amazing. It's what I used to create my first ship from start to finish and a handy reference guide for those times when you've gotta open the Blendernomicon - so thank you so much to everyone involved.

However, (most) of the images are dead because of photobucket. Kinda difficult to use it because of that.

I'm not sure if anyone has the tutorial saved, but if so, would they consider uploading them to a different host, such as Imgur? I'd like to refer this to somebody and it's difficult for them to follow it in its current state.