Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177376 times)

Offline UndyingNephalim

Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Is there a way to get the game to read the mod.ini file while also being standalone?

No, the mod.ini is designed for mods only.  I think here you'll need to extract the assets you're using from mediavps_3612 into your standalone data/(etc) directories.

I have the mediavps_3612 files and folder in my mod's data folder, I still get the crash. I remember getting this crash before and using this version of mediavps solved the problem.

Here's the error I'm getting just in case it's something else:

Code: [Select]
Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3.exe! <no symbol>
fs2_open_3_7_2_RC3.exe! <no symbol>

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
If you're just using the media3612 .vp files, then they need to go in your standalone "root" folder.  If you're using files extracted from the VPs then they need to go into their correct folders like <root>/data/tables, <root>/data/models, etc.  If you try that stuff and it doesn't work, please post a fs2_open.log file.

(as an aside, the mod system exists to provide a simple way to change data which is in the root game dir, and let players switch what the changes are without copying files around. As you're releasing a "base game" / standalone, you don't need to worry about overriding anything.  You want all the data in the root dir to be exactly what you want to exist in the game.  No need to override anything)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline UndyingNephalim

If you're using files extracted from the VPs then they need to go into their correct folders like <root>/data/tables, <root>/data/models, etc. 

Putting the .vp file in the root folder solved the problem. Many thanks.  :yes:

Hopefully I'll have  demo ready in the next day or so.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well I've run into another problem. Every time I install the mod as a Standalone on another PC the sound does not work at all. No music, no sound effects, nothing, even though it all works completely fine on the host PC and I have all the music and sound files in the right folders. Any idea what would cause this?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well I've run into another problem. Every time I install the mod as a Standalone on another PC the sound does not work at all. No music, no sound effects, nothing, even though it all works completely fine on the host PC and I have all the music and sound files in the right folders. Any idea what would cause this?
Having a debug log from both computers (for comparison) would be helpful.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

I've determined that the problem is being unable to select "Generic Software" in the Audio/Joystick tab of the Launcher. Is there any reason that the Generic Software option would not show up under Preferred Playback Device ?

EDIT: I'm an idiot, I forgot to install OpenAL on the other PC's. I'll just have to inform players to install OpenAL before starting the mod.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:22:37 pm by UndyingNephalim »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Open AL.

Edit ninja'd.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Just poping in to say that this is super fun to play. :)

I've had a few crashes though, but no time to do a proper debug analysis yet.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Highlight added. I used a cropped part of the ModDB banner for the highlight image. I hope that's all right. if you want it changed, contact me. :)
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline CT27

Looks awesome.  How many missions are in this demo?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
This is a splendid piece of work, and you must've put a LOT of effort into it. Props for simplifying some of the features of FS gameplay.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Quality of this mod is stunning. I'm not familiar with the universe, but it's just awesome how much work You put into this. Kudos :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Liking the demo missions so far, although, it's difficult what to tell the objectives are and who's the current player character amongst the dialog.

Things appear to be fairly crashy with the large number of ships spawned individually, I suggest grouping them into wings/flights and spawn them that way rather than have the events spawn the craft individually. This also has the benefit of a cleaner Hotkey selection screen.

The hotkey screen is where the players can assign ships and wings to the F5~F12 keys, Very useful to quickly select a large group of fighter wings or the group of carriers you're supposed to be blowing up.

Naturally, Fredder's can assign wings and ships to hotkey selection as well. This'll result in a set of hotkey selections made for the mission, so that the player saves a minute or two of setting it up themselves. Additionally, you can send the hotkey setting over the objectives screen, or over the radio messages.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Random Question time yet again:

1) Is it possible to create either a primary or secondary weapon that charges like beams, but fires a single projectile like a laser or missile? I'll like to create a long ranged artillery weapon that requires the player to hold and charge but it fires a single giant blast rather than a beam.

2) Is there a proper Minelayer weapon? I think I have a workaround by giving a missile an extremely slow velocity and high radius detonation that spawns a moving missile when an enemy is too close, but if there is a cleaner way to make mines that would be great.

3) I have noticed beam weapons do not seem to work on my capital ship turrets, even with a 360 degree fire arc. Is there something else beam weapons need to work on Capital Ships?

Things appear to be fairly crashy with the large number of ships spawned individually, I suggest grouping them into wings/flights and spawn them that way rather than have the events spawn the craft individually. This also has the benefit of a cleaner Hotkey selection screen.

That does sound like it would probably be a better method. I'm still learning my way around Fred and was only using sample scripts, I've not really messed with Wings at all yet.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Random Question time yet again:

1) Is it possible to create either a primary or secondary weapon that charges like beams, but fires a single projectile like a laser or missile? I'll like to create a long ranged artillery weapon that requires the player to hold and charge but it fires a single giant blast rather than a beam.

I'm not aware of any hold-to-charge primary mechanics in the FSO engine (I'm thinking like the Charging Mass Driver from Wing Commander Prophecy).  You  can certainly add a delay between trigger pull and the 1st "round" leaving the weapon; see this weapon property (it's obviously intended for gatling style weapons that need to spin up the barrels before they start firing, but I think it would work in this case as well)

2) Is there a proper Minelayer weapon? I think I have a workaround by giving a missile an extremely slow velocity and high radius detonation that spawns a moving missile when an enemy is too close, but if there is a cleaner way to make mines that would be great.

Again, I don't believe there's any support in the FSO engine for this style of mine; just sentry gun style mines.  Your current workaround sounds pretty good though :)

3) I have noticed beam weapons do not seem to work on my capital ship turrets, even with a 360 degree fire arc. Is there something else beam weapons need to work on Capital Ships?

Beams should work just fine on capital ship turrets, e.g. the Orion chin beam from FS2 retail.  Could you post your beam table entry and your ship table entry and maybe someone will be able to spot something?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Not at the moment, although there is interest by several mod developers for this feature. If I can ever get around to getting necessary stuff done, I would like to work on this feature myself.

Not by player craft, but there is a script somewhere that spawns laser mines that shoot at passerby craft. You might be able to modify a coutermeasure weapon and use that as the mine delevery mechanic, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Alternatively, you could make a secondary weapon type that moves at a reasonable speed, then spawns a stationary mine that has some reasonable life (such as a minute or so). Experiment :)

IIRC, beam turrets are disabled until a beam-free sexp is run, or otherwise an opening mission flag is set. One of the regular Fredder's should know more :)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Again, I don't believe there's any support in the FSO engine for this style of mine; just sentry gun style mines.  Your current workaround sounds pretty good though :)
Is there an example of a Sentry Turret weapon floating around? There does not seem to be any info about them on the wiki.

IIRC, beam turrets are disabled until a beam-free sexp is run, or otherwise an opening mission flag is set. One of the regular Fredder's should know more :)
I'll look through FRED mission settings and see if I can find anything beam related.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is there an example of a Sentry Turret weapon floating around? There does not seem to be any info about them on the wiki.

The sentry turret weapons are just standard primaries, like the Subach HL-7 attached to this sentry gun. (i.e. X-wing / TIE Fighter style "mines")
----
----

Offline UndyingNephalim

The sentry turret weapons are just standard primaries, like the Subach HL-7 attached to this sentry gun. (i.e. X-wing / TIE Fighter style "mines")

I meant to specify a weapon that actually deploys the turrets from your craft, not the weapon the turret itself uses.

Another question, are cloaking devices possible in Freespace 2? It seems like they are just a special effect you can set in FRED, not an actual ability.