Author Topic: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO  (Read 177346 times)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Star Fox: Event Horizon for FSO
Are you happy to post the EFF files you are using, as well as your game_settings.tbl file?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline UndyingNephalim

Attached the files in a zip (not all the frames are there because of file size). My game_settings.tbl is in the tables folder and all my effs are in HUD if that's of any importance.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Try converting your .dds files into .png for headani's. I'm fairly positive that's the issue here.
No wait, its not. Since they do appear properly colored on my screen.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If they work for Spoon... UndyingNephalim, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline UndyingNephalim

If they work for Spoon... UndyingNephalim, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

I can't even get the game to run in Debug mode without this lovely error shutting the game down at the main menu:
Spoiler:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Blah.. I've seen that before. I can't remember exactly what it means though. The only thing that comes to mind is to just re-convert the animations.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Blah.. I've seen that before. I can't remember exactly what it means though. The only thing that comes to mind is to just re-convert the animations.

What animations and how?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

I can't even get the game to run in Debug mode without this lovely error shutting the game down at the main menu:
Spoiler:

Well, I strongly, STRONGLY recommend you ditch that 3.6.14 build (which is a staggering 3 versions and god knows how many revisions behind the current standard), and use 3.7.2 RC3.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well, I strongly, STRONGLY recommend you ditch that 3.6.14 build (which is a staggering 3 versions and god knows how many revisions behind the current standard), and use 3.7.2 RC3.

Using the updated version has caused tons of crashes, even without Debug mode on:
Code: [Select]

ships.tbl(line 1312):
Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:], [$Name], or [$Template], found [; fixed until wing problem can be solved, 10, 0.0].

ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fred2_open_3_7_2_RC3.exe! <no symbol>

Here's the line in question:
Code: [Select]
$Subsystem:       Rwinga,           100, 0.0 ; fixed until wing problem can be solved, 10, 0.0
   $Flags:        (  "untargetable" )
   $animation: triggered
   $type: afterburner
   +delay:0
   +relative_angle:0,-25,0
   +velocity:0,600,0
   +acceleration:0,400,0
   +time:200
Worked completely fine in the older version and I have at least 10 copies of it in other craft that precede it in the ships.tbl file.

Seems like this is becoming over complicated for something as simple as colored talking portraits. Maybe there's some setting in the launcher that needs to be ticked?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Seems like this is becoming over complicated for something as simple as colored talking portraits. Maybe there's some setting in the launcher that needs to be ticked?
3.6.14 is staggeringly out of date (and was fairly buggy, as far as FSO releases go). As for that specific crash, there were some changes made to comment parsing recently, although if it's that kind of problem, it means there's an unclosed quote somewhere above the line that's actually throwing the error.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
3.7.2 may throw more errors, but it looks like it's the good kind. Take a day, work through the errors and your mod will be much, much more stable.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline UndyingNephalim

3.6.14 is staggeringly out of date (and was fairly buggy, as far as FSO releases go). As for that specific crash, there were some changes made to comment parsing recently, although if it's that kind of problem, it means there's an unclosed quote somewhere above the line that's actually throwing the error.

Yup I found a missing quote and now it's starting up... even better talking color portraits are working!  :yes:

I'm guessing 3.6.14 did not have support for colored portraits.  :lol:

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Also, might I recommend #freespace on EsperNet's IRC for further realtime debugging?  Probably a bit more responsive than a forum can be (and it'll quiet my inbox a bit ;) )

Or, at the top of the page, HLP -> IRC -> Mibbet Links -> #Freespace will get you there too.

And yeah, pretty sure those were added after 3.6.14.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline UndyingNephalim

Well, got some more gameplay footage:

There are some instances where the talking portraits cut out or skip more than half their frames in the video though. Anyone know what would cause that problem? It's not too big of a deal, but I'm sort of a perfectionist and would like to fix it if possible.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yup I found a missing quote and now it's starting up... even better talking color portraits are working!  :yes:

I'm guessing 3.6.14 did not have support for colored portraits.  :lol:
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you would at least be working with 3.7.0 or something... So I wasn't going to ask the obvious question of "are you using a recent build?"

Serves you right Spoon, assuming the best from people.  :banghead:
Urutorahappī!!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
There are some instances where the talking portraits cut out or skip more than half their frames in the video though. Anyone know what would cause that problem?
I believe the length of time the talking head animation plays for is cut short if it has a short audio file assigned, or if the message text isn't very long (although I think this only matters if there is no audio file assigned to that message, so I think you can just assign a long audio file to make the full animation play).

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Are you guys replacing the afterburner sounds? The stock FS2 ones don't seems to fit IMHO.

Offline UndyingNephalim

Are you guys replacing the afterburner sounds? The stock FS2 ones don't seems to fit IMHO.
Yup there will be a custom afterburner sound effect. I'm wondering if it's possible to assign individual afterburner sounds to craft? It seems like there's only one in the sound.tbl file.

Other random questions...
- Is there a list of file names for menu backgrounds such as loading and mission briefing screens? I'd like to make my own instead of using the FS2 ones.
- I do have the name for the main menu, however my DDS file shows up blank black. I'm guessing I need to save my DDS under certain settings? Mine is Indexed Color, 8-bit, and DXT5. I've tried RGB and DXT3 but it still shows up blank black.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
For one thing, there is no point in using DXT5 or 3 if your texture doesn't have transparency. It just makes the texture needlessly larger.
Second off, for menu's you might as well use .png's
Third, fairly sure you can only assign a single afterburner sound, unforunately.
Fourth'd, if you wanna replace the whole interface relatively easily, use this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67991.msg1342479#msg1342479
Urutorahappī!!

Offline UndyingNephalim

Fourth'd, if you wanna replace the whole interface relatively easily, use this: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=67991.msg1342479#msg1342479

Gotta love how the only Windows instructions are "extract the archive to the desired directory." What directory? The data folder? the mod folder? Interface? the Recycle bin...? Pardon my sarcasm, I'm just not a fan of vague instructions.  :blah: