Author Topic: What are you working on?  (Read 308260 times)

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: What are you working on?
You may have just expanded my horizons and saved me a lot of time, depending on if I ever have time to mod again.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I just posted it on the BtA board.. but since not a whole lot of people visit it, I'll post it here too. This is my current project. I'm pretty thrilled with how it's turning out.

Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
That background music has a somewhat Bond-ish feel to it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Can I assume that's a still for a cinematic?
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yup, it is! We are just about finished with BtA missions, so I'm working on the other things necessary for final release, too.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BirdofPrey

Cool cool.

Speaking of which, if you have any new ships in BtA. I can bake up some radar icons for them, and get you a working radar table if you like.

And for those of you who haven't seen them.  I need extra eyes to make sure my radar icons are working correctly for everyone (at this time I can only confirm they work for me)
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

I needed to relax...
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BirdofPrey

Hmm, those almost kinda look like Apollo and Anubis icons.
That can't be right

(P.S. the Apollo icon was a real ***** to get to draw decently.)

*automated ssm stuff*
So, I think I've got what I think is a decent first draft of the framework, however I am now in the process of writing a generic table parser in lua, which will also allow me to convert the text data used by my ship variant script into something that's a bit less of a mess. And possibly rewrite bits of the ship variant script itself in the process.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Started this yesterday afternoon. Been trying to get myself into more modelling so working on a T-V era Vasudan idea I've had for a while to see if it works out. Just the bare bones done but welcome feedback on what's there so far;
VasCruiserYardWIP (View in 3D)

Concept is a cheap-to-build space-dock for building and maintaining cruiser-sized ships and below (for frigate sized and above there would be a more advanced and rarer 'Imperial shipyard'). Drawing some of the design from the Abydos and Karnak (and if they're game invite input from Black Wolf and Galemp the creators), since I like the idea of this facility being normally assembled alongside one of those installations (which serves as a control centre and protector) rather than on it's own. Textures will be much like the Karnak and Abydos too.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
vasudan supply station? great idea!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Loving it. :) Will provide a better review when I get of my phone and on to wondering that can view it in 3d.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
OK, quick thoughts:

If you want to echo the design of the Abydos, my first idea would be to consider converting the two "ribs" on one side into structures akin to the "ladders" connecting the core to the outer ring of the Abydos. Probably, they should meet in the middle in some kind of structure, so that they appear to have a purpose rather than just existing for existence' sake.

The main structure is, at this point, still pretty simple, so it's hard to give useful feedback. More detail is needed, but that's not going to help you too much since it doesn't tell you where to put it.

I'm guessing that you built that part of it mainly from a single, squashed sphere, with some extrudes? Or something like that, anyway. Possibly consider rebuilding it from smaller subobjects? It's easier to build in a lot of detail that way, and you can reuse UV Mapped subobjects to add a lot of detail quickly.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!

If you want to echo the design of the Abydos, my first idea would be to consider converting the two "ribs" on one side into structures akin to the "ladders" connecting the core to the outer ring of the Abydos. Probably, they should meet in the middle in some kind of structure, so that they appear to have a purpose rather than just existing for existence' sake.
Aye that was the direction I was thinking of going with them, and agree on having a little structure of some sort on that side; would likely be a thin one that bridges the two braces. May also add a little tube-like part inside of the ladders or following the ladder closely so crew have access between the two parts without getting in the way of the ships within (assume IRL it'd be a turbolift of some kind).

The main structure is, at this point, still pretty simple, so it's hard to give useful feedback. More detail is needed, but that's not going to help you too much since it doesn't tell you where to put it.
I had origionally planned keeping those big curved surfaces relatively spotless on the outside minus a couple of windows, but in hindsight that might look a bit naff when textured so shall probably add some elements to them like vents and docking ports (there could be a big warehouse in that top bit for storing materials, so having a dock point or two at that level would made sense).

I'm guessing that you built that part of it mainly from a single, squashed sphere, with some extrudes? Or something like that, anyway. Possibly consider rebuilding it from smaller subobjects? It's easier to build in a lot of detail that way, and you can reuse UV Mapped subobjects to add a lot of detail quickly.
Ironically I actually began those big curved parts from extruding a cube then shaped the curves using verts, so am happy to hear you felt a sphere had done them; haven't worked on manually made curves much and was worried i'd muck up trying (would in the past use spheres as you say, but wanted more control of the shape and less cutting faces building the rest of it).

I can as you say cut the big ones up a bit more or remake them out of parts to ease the UVing. At the moment the main structure is four separate parts; the two big chunks and then the two bits joining them that I plan to do lots of detail work on (and the ribs also seperate, so six chunks in total for the model).

Thanks for the feedback will help a lot detailing it, especially on the simplicity of those main chunks; I notice having read that how the Abydos and Karnak have no really big spotless surfaces like that (each surface is kept thin to break it up, even on the larger chunks). Really adds to the look doesen't it?
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yep, makes a massive difference. You can get away with big patches of armour as long as those patches are broken up. Even if you've got a great big long repeated texture (which you'll see on the Abydos if you look at its DDS files), that doesn't offend the eye as long as it's broken on the other axis (by lights, or little strips of trim, or something like that).
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline BirdofPrey

Taking a break from radar for a bit

It's currently been made at 1920x1200 and I will be cutting the top and bottom for a 1920x1080 version

Obviously still need to add text and background  (what's shown is the original text for demonstration purposes) along with the other little greebles.
Does anyone happen to have something close to the original background and/or the GTA banner at the top?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:35:35 am by BirdofPrey »

Offline BirdofPrey

Well CRAP

FSO does not currently support hi-res interface files. You can do 640x480 or 1024x768. Before this project becomes worth anything, you'll to convince some coder to basically overhaul the interface code... That's something that has been talked about for a long time but hasn't gone anywhere because that's a big project.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Still a long way to go..
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Zarax

Trying to work again on my very old Rise of GCA mod, this time using only mostly TBL modifications and FS1+FS2 MediaVP assets while revising the plot into a more mature one.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Still a long way to go..

You're a champion.