as i announced in the FSPort Mission Upgrade Pack topic i ceased it's standalone development some time ago to merge it with my german translation, so that both things use the same filebase and so that i have only to edit one file to fix problems in both projects.
Well, as you can imagine, during the last couple of weeks, it ends in an enhanced Mission Upgrade Pack, that has an installable german language AddOn that can started seperately via wxlauncher.
But because it has a different file structure and to seperate it from the old seperate project in general, i simply call it (Unofficial) FSPort Upgrade now. The only thing what i have carried over from the old project is the version number. The last Mission Upgrade Pack version was 1.2.0 iirc. So the first one here is 1.3.0.
Because this one is an english speaking community, the focus of this topic is the upgrade of course, but the german translation will follow right after it, for every german player who does not visit a german community anymore.
In theory this Upgrade can be used as a template for translations in other languages, too. Even i had to include some workarounds to translate everything that have to be translated in german. But i am available for support in that case, too.General Changes
• This modification consists of 89 single player and 58 multi player missions, so in total 147 missions that were checked and revised. All Single Player missions were played through on "Medium" at least once, most of them even on "Insane" difficulty.
• To prevent incompatibilities with the normal FSPort, this package uses own mission file names for all missions.
• All officially released FreeSpace 2 multiplayer missions (Retail, Soty and multi mission pack) which are incompatible to the FreeSpace Port will no longer be displayed.
• All missions get, if missing, proper directives. For example a "Return to Base" directive to know when a mission is at it's end.
• The available and used technologies in the missions fits the time when it take place. There will no longer a GTF Ulysses in a mission that take place shortly after the Taranis Incident.
• Ace pilots in several missions (mostly in the single missions) have doubled hitpoints, so that they can take much more damage. Even the AI is bad like always, there is atleast the feeling of some special enemies.
• The "The Destiny of Peace" and "Awakenings" missions that were available as single missions, were replaced due to the fact, that both exists as an individual upgraded campaign release. So i converted every exclusive coop multiplayer mission, where no single player version is present, for single player use. So you get instead of 35 single player missions 38 now. Where 11 of them were multiplayer exclusive before.
• The modification was checked for MVP 3.8.1 compatibility and i have included several upgraded models. So a newer GTF Apollo, PVS Scarab and PVD Typhonmodel is used. So this upgrade can be used as a stopgap until the release of new FSPort MediaVPs (which will have much more enhancements to offer than this package, i'm sure, these were only the most obvious ones).
• Vasudan fighters use the PVN HUD modification by WormSlayer.
• Some Hammer of Light ships use the HOL-skin that is present, but unused, in the FSPort files.
• I created nameplates for every ship that support it and did not get one before.
• Every command briefing in the game got the uniform appearence from the The Great War and Templar campaign. So you will have Location and Date informations in Silent Threat, where i used the Silent Threat: Reborn timeline as a template. But this uniform appearence is also used in the single missions that uses Command Briefings. So you know where and when these missions will take place, that forms something like a "Stories from the Great War" theme.
• All missions uses translateable variables for Command, so that it can have the name fitting for your language.
• Several objects in the missions uses the new $Display Name feature, so that objects can appear with a translateable name.
• If a friendly capital ship is present in the mission area, all called in support ships will launch from it.
• In missions where your baseship is still in the mission area after the end of the mission, you have to land on it to end the mission.
• Every cruiser class ship or bigger got an individual name. You will no longer fight a nameless wing of cruisers. The wing designation is used as a callsign instead if you are ordered to take them down.
• Missions that does not have a Soundtrack, got one of the three Silent Threat added Soundtracks.
• Every mission without backgrounds get one that correspond to other missions that takes place in the same system.
• Every Single mission that was also available with voice files have speech, now.
• The TurretHotkey script is used in every mission where the disarming of a ship is a real objective.
• The ScreenCam script is integrated by default, even you should not use it in any multiplayer mission.
• The "Ship save/load" script is integrated by default, too.
• The "message"-script by Axem is used by this package for all communication messages, but is in an own VP that can be disabled if you prefer to play in resolutions that are higher than 2560x1440.FreeSpace: The Great War Changes
• Vasudans will use Vasudan weapons at the beginning of the campaign.
• If you play the campaign missions from the tech room, i changed the branch events of all missions, that you will play the harder version of them on this way.
• General ship names like "Vasudan freighter" were changed. In these cases, the freighters got also an individual name.
• In "Out of the Dark, Into the Night" several events were introduced, that will prevent that the GTSC Plato will reach the Jump Node.
• In "Tenderizer" the GTD Galatea will fly into the Jump Node from the outside instead to jump directly in the Node to turn around. It is more a classic escort mission on this way.
• In "Evangelist" every wingmen will be carried over to "Doomsday", now. Interestingly some of them jumped out directly before the next mission starts and were not present in the next mission.
• In "Doomsday" the voice file and text from the unused second stage of the mission briefing, where the player is commended for the destruction of the Eva, is now merged with the first stage.
• In "Doomsday" the Galatea will only have 30% hull at the beginning. Also the SSD Lucifer will jump in instead of appearing out of nowhere. With this low hull the Lucifer is also able to destroy the Galatea in one shot, what make this ship even more fearful.
• In "A Failure to Communicate" mostly bugfixes were introduced that ensure that you can proper play this mission when the PVD Pinnacle instead of the PVD Hope is present. Also again i changed a bit in events and hull status so that the Lucifer will destroy the Installation in one shot again. Also the attackers of the terminal will not jump in at the same position every time.
• In the Command Briefing of the mission "Reaching the Zenith" all three stages of the vasudan message were merged into one stage with one voice file.
• In "Running the Gauntlet" a debriefing stage was introduced to inform the player about his medal in "Reaching the Zenith". But the real change is, that the Lucifer will now jump in next to the route to the jump node and will fly next to the Omega transports, so that the attacking shivan fighters have a smaller distance to fly.
• The HLD Anvil in "Black Omega" was repositioned to blockade the Jump Node more effectively so that it is actually able to take down one of the transports with its turrets. But to keep the original design of the mission, one of the Omegas can protected very easily.
• In "Clash of the Titans" the SD Tantalus was rotated further 90 degrees to shoot with more turrets. Also it is moving now and the player can not use a Bomber anymore. Also, a previously unused debriefing stage and directive was reactivated, so that the player have to jump out at the jump node to finish this mission.
• In "The Great Hunt" Volition's original plan for this mission is reintroduced. The directive is now to escort all four Ursa bombers to the jump node. So you have to protect them on this dangerous way.
• Because of errors in the red alert system, i was forced to use the "ship save/load"-script by Admiral MS for this.
• In "The End" you have to end the campaign with a landing on the Arcadia installation.FreeSpace: Silent Threat Changes
• In "Ghosts" there will be no longer an unnamed Orion destroyer. You can see its name on the nameplate, but it will not send an ID code in communication messages, though. The ship is a nod to ST:R again.
• In "Secret Recovery" bugs were fixed that prevented that you can end this mission successfully if Epsilon 1 dies.
• In "Cloak and Dagger" events were introduced, that prevents that you are able to scan the ships before you are ordered to do so.
• In "Secrets Revealed" the GTI fighters will use some experimental weapons (some FS2 ones) and technologies as it was stated in the command briefing. Also all Jotunheim escape pods will launch from the station now. During the battle with the Hades the GTD Myrmidon will jump in to reinforce the player with new fighters and bombers. At the end of the battle the GTD Soyakaze will also join. This was introduced to shorten the battle significantly. You have to land on the Soyakaze to end this campaign, of course.FreeSpace: Operation Templar Changes
• In "Chasing the Threat" the choice between the jump nodes is now working. That results that you can only play three of the four missions in one playthrough. The campaign file was changed for that of course.
• In "Tightening the Noose" a previously unused debriefing stage was reactivated for this matter. It declares Operation Templar to an end.Multiplayer Changes
• All multiplayer campaigns were rebalanced for the designated number of players. So "Journey to Altair", what is a coop campaign for 12 players should now less likely solveable alone on "Insane" anymore... (it was... really)
• The description of the multiplayer campaigns now include the mission names that are part of it.
• All changes that were made in single player missions are present in their coop version aswell.
• The player allowed technologies in the four "FreeSpace: Silent Threat" campaign files were corrected.
• There is a fifth "FreeSpace: Silent Threat" coop campaign file now, that allows the players to play all 12 missions in one go.
• The story for the Team vs. Team mission "Leviathan Duel" was changed into a normal GTA simulator training maneuver, because it did not make much sense before.
• Two new "Dogfight" missions were created that take place around a PVI Karnak installation.What is needed for this?
• FreeSpace 2
• FSO Nightly 188.8.131.5280811
• MediaVPs 3.8.X
in a folder called MediaVPs_38x (or change the mod.ini of this mod)
• wxlauncher 0.12.0 RC2
• FreeSpace Port 3.5 with FSPort MediaVPs 2014Download
• FSPort Upgrade 1.3.0
(38.9 MB) - MediaFile Mirror
- Google Drive MirrorOPTIONAL FILES
• Additional Remastered Cutscenes
(711 MB)Actually this are the Introduction, Lab and a fixed Endgame cutscene, that are also available for download in the Cutscene Upgrade-Thread.
• Community extended "Ancients 4" cutscene (328 MB) (Can be used without the other cutscenes)
I append the old 1080p version of the Vasuda Prime Evacuation cutscene to the current Ancients4.mp4 and try to keep most of its quality with a low CRF because the 1080p Vasuda Prime part was only available in lousy ogg.
You have to extract the download archive into your FreeSpace 2 Folder. In wxLauncher you have to select the "FreeSpace Port Upgrade" as the active mod.
In the actual mod folder, you are free to delete/disable the missions you do not want to have, for that you have simply to delete or to rename (for example in .vpx) the FSPort-Upgrade_Missions-<Pack>.vp.
The message box by Axem is also activated by default, you can disable it with a deletion or rename of the FSPort-Upgrade_2KHUD.vp.
Bugs you encounter can be reported anytime of course in this Thread.
If you need some impressions, at the end of this post, you can find some Screenshots from the older but aswell current german version.
But as i said at the beginning of the topic, the Upgrade is only a byproduct of my updated German Translation for the FreeSpace Port.What is this Package translating?
• The "The Great War" campaign with 35 missions.
• The "Silent Threat" campaign with twelve missions.
• The "Operation Templar" campaign with four missions.
• 38 single missions.
• The "The Last Hope" multiplayer cooperative campaign with three missions for four players.
• The "Journey to Altair" multiplayer cooperative campaign with three missions for twelve players.
• The "Silent Threat" multiplayer cooperative campaign with 4x3 or 1x12 missions for eight players.
• 14 standalone multiplayer cooperative missions.
• Seven "Team versus Team" multiplayer missions
• 19 Dogfight multiplayer missions.
• So 147 missions in total.
• The complete technical database.
• All cutscenes with english voice over and german subtitles.What is needed for this?
• FreeSpace 2 in a german audio setting.
• Everything that is needed for the Upgrade.
• And the Upgrade itself, of course, but you do not have to scroll up, except you want to download it individually.DownloadFreeSpace Port Upgrade 1.3.0 & FreiRaum: FreeSpace Port 2.0.0
(39,17 MB) in one combined package.
or as an single downloadable component:FreiRaum: FreeSpace Port 2.0.0
(250 KB) - MediaFire Mirror
- Google Drive MirrorOPTIONAL FILESFreiRaum: FreeSpace Port German Subtitled Cutscenes
(1,31 GB) - FreeSpace Files MirrorFreiRaum: FreeSpace Port German Subtitled Community extended "Ancients 4" cutscene
(328 MB) - FreeSpace Files Mirror
The Movies are released with built-in subtitles, because of much better and more fitting subtitles capabilities for my demands currently. They were reencoded with a x264 CRF 13.5 Very Slow setting for that.Installation
You have to extract the downloaded archives into the FreeSpace 2 Folder. In wxlauncher you have to load "FreiRaum: FreeSpace Port" as the active mod.
This translation requires that FreeSpace 2 is set on the german language setting. If your game does not do that automatically, you can use Knossos for that, edit your fs2open.ini manually or you can my small Language Selector
- Mediafire Mirror
- Google Drive Mirror
That one have to be extracted into the FreeSpace2 Folder aswell and have to be run with the "Language Selector.cmd" file in the same named folder. This Program has an english and german speaking user interface, in which you can select between all four official languages that are supported by FreeSpace2.Interesting linksGerman Release ThreadDevelopmentthread for my German TranslationsPage on ModDB
Feedback is appreciated in this thread, on FreeSpaceGalaxy or per E-Mail, because i did that translation completely alone.Some impressions
You can find additional images on the ModDB page