Author Topic: Cannot for the life of me get FSO/fsport working  (Read 4039 times)

Cannot for the life of me get FSO/fsport working
I have FS2 installed from Gog (whatever the latest version is as of this week) and used the FSO Installer to install FSO, fsport, and wxlauncher.  For whatever reason the installer never downloaded an actual FSO binaries no matter how many times I ran it (with the default Windows 32 Standard selected) so I downloaded FSO from the project (3.8) and used that.  wxlauncher is happy now and the game launches until you hit the main menu page, and then it just crashes. 

This happens with both FSO standard and fsport. I've attached both logs as I am unsure if the problems are related. 

I spent several hours reinstalling everything and playing with settings but no luck.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: Cannot for the life of me get FSO/fsport working
Mhh.. i see nothing unusual in this log, except for the Graphics card where i have to say, that i am not sure, what Features of FSO this one is supporting.

Is the game also crashing if you use the "Default FS2 (All features off)" Flag set in wxLauncher? It's available in the Advanced Settings tab.

That is the idea i have, that there is some feature active, your Intel Chip can not support.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Mhh.. i see nothing unusual in this log, except for the Graphics card where i have to say, that i am not sure, what Features of FSO this one is supporting.

Is the game also crashing if you use the "Default FS2 (All features off)" Flag set in wxLauncher? It's available in the Advanced Settings tab.

That is the idea i have, that there is some feature active, your Intel Chip can not support.

Thanks for replying. 

I set Default FS2 in Advanced Options like you suggested, but I got the same crash (only tested fsopen, not fsport so far. I'll try more tomorrow after school).  I've attached the new log.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Not that I think this is the cause, but why are you using the old-collision flag?  New collision should be optimized, and since only a few people use the old collision code, there is a *tiny* chance that it is borked somehow and is causing the issue. And nobody knows about it because they haven't used it.

Maybe there is something wrong with your graphics card: "Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.519 (0.519)"  ??

Not that I think this is the cause, but why are you using the old-collision flag?  New collision should be optimized, and since only a few people use the old collision code, there is a *tiny* chance that it is borked somehow and is causing the issue. And nobody knows about it because they haven't used it.

Maybe there is something wrong with your graphics card: "Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 0.519 (0.519)"  ??

To be honest I have no idea what you are talking about, haha.  As far as I could find there is no manual for this stuff.. so I'm just blundering along as best I can xD

Care to elaborate?

I can only suggest update graphic drivers.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Don't worry about the "Frame   0 too long!!" message, it's just saying it took longer than expected to render a frame, probably one "pass" of all the mainhall animations in this case (i.e. 500 ms :))

Unfortunately, I can't see anything obvious in your log either. I'd just recommend what Cyborg17 said, remove the "-old_collision" flag you've set in wxLauncher. This can be found on Advanced Settings Tab, under the heading Troubleshoot, and it's called "Use old collision detection system".

If that doesn't help, try updating your drivers as tomimaki suggested.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

That warning is mostly meaningless. Frame 0 will almost always take too long to render because of all the stuff that has to be paged into memory; this is expected behaviour.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Okay so I have tried updating my graphics drivers, but still no go.  Should I perhaps try an older fsopen version?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Maybe try disabling deferred lighting first?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Tried disabling deferred lighting, still no go.  Also tried 3.7.4 and the same thing happens  :banghead:

This is what Windows reports, dunno if it means anything to anyone:

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe
  Application Version: 3.7.4.41152
  Application Timestamp: 577aaa75
  Fault Module Name: ig7icd32.dll
  Fault Module Version: 10.18.10.4425
  Fault Module Timestamp: 5702a994
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 001477f0
  OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 5861
  Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3: 5f25
  Additional Information 4: 5f2531ae070278f893fa99352dadd49e

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
In 3.7.4, try -no_glsl.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Nope, same crash.  Exact same error output.  I also tried disabling everything I could with

C:\GOG Games\Freespace 2\fs2_open_3_7_4_SSE2-DEBUG.exe -nospec -noglow -noenv -nonormal -noheight -nolightshafts -no_deferred -no_set_gamma -novbo -disable_fbo -disable_pbo -no_glsl -no_geo_effects

but still no go.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Out of curiosity, the old collision flag is set by the "All features off (Default FS2)" setting i recommend in my first reply. The meaning of that was only to restore Retail behavior completely :).

If that had worked, then we were able to talk about reactivation of features... but it did not. So it seems that there is another problem.

Well.. i did not read this question here.. but are you even able to run Retail FreeSpace 2?
Actually i am not sure if we are talking about a FSOpen problem here...
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Well.. i did not read this question here.. but are you even able to run Retail FreeSpace 2?
Actually i am not sure if we are talking about a FSOpen problem here...

Yes, retail Freespace 2 seems to run fine. I haven't actually started a campaign (I want to finish FS1 first, hence fsport) but I poked around in the tech room and nothing crashed.

Are you sure drivers are updated?
This
says it's not.

Are you sure drivers are updated?
This
says it's not.

The driver you linked wouldn't install, failed out saying I needed to get OEM drivers.  I installed the latest from Lenovo, but that might have been the one I'm already using.  I've since learned how to force install the intel one, so I may try that later..

However, I randomly decided to try starting it while my laptop wasn't docked to my two monitors... and everything started fine.   Didn't launch a campaign yet, but poked around in the tech room of both FSPort and FS2 and nothing crashed.  Guess dual monitors was important... I wish I could get it working with them, but at least I can play for now.

Just gotta figure out how to copy my progress from FS1 over..