Author Topic: What happened to Twisted Infinities?  (Read 5182 times)

What happened to Twisted Infinities?
According to http://www.sectorgame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4684&start=45, the campaign was already in beta phase in late 2013; but since then nothing was ever heard about again. I wanted to whether this is still being worked on, for the usual question "is this dead?" seems to be misplaced in this case (why cancel a campaign that's already a beta after years of work?). Also, the main authors (or atleast Black Wolf) seemed to be around here. TI is one of the campaigns I'm particular looking forward to, I played FL 2334/35 and enjoyed it, and this seems to be very interesting as well.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: What happened to Twisted Infinities?
TI is pretty much active, but it was always one of the most mysterious projects of FS modding community. BW shown mainhall of Twisted Infinities in WIP stuff thread some time ago. Also he posted screenshot of unknown shivan destroyer for Screencap contest few months ago. I think he is not the only one still working for it.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I managed to find the main hall in the WIP thread... must have missed this one...
Did you mean https://i.imgur.com/rbV5p6Z.jpg? Could be from TI indeed but the destroyer seems to be a Demon.
May I ask you where you obtain your knowledge that TI is that active from besides that? Only time I think Black Wolf posted that they were extreme close to release IIRC, but if I'm correct et all it must've been 2015 or 16... or did I simply miss the rest? Atleast there's no thread about being development on HLP, and the SG public is in the same state as early 2014 (can't tell about their internal or what is being done their).
It's not like I wouldn't understand that development might take longer than expected, even by some years; I've seen this here several times before, so it's nothing new to me. Just posting "beta started" and virtually stopping all public activity was odd.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:25:00 am by Nightmare »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
This is not the screenshot I mentioned. I cannot find it, so I doubt if it's still recoverable. My assumption is based on few times when BW actually mentioned something about TI.

The best way to get some knowledge would be PMing him I guess.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

PMed Black Wolf, but the last time he was around was November, so it might take a while...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
So, I should answer here instead of in private probably. TI is not dead, but it's not being actively worked on right now either. In all honesty, none of my FS projects are really active right now: I had a few things come up a few months ago that essentially removed Freespace time from my life (hence my long absence that you noted above). Things are turning around a bit now, but I don't have the time I once did, so my plan as it stands now is to try to clear my WiP list as much (and as fast) as I can, and then reassess whether I want to start any more.

As far as how that applies to TI... We'll, it's been stuck in a weird spot for ages. Act 1 is so ridiculously far along in progress that abandoning it and asset dumping would be crazy. It's essentially playable right now. The problem is that there are non-trivial bugs that need solving, and I think two key missions that stalled a long time ago and I didn't (and still don't) know how to rescue. When that's the situation you face, it's distressingly easy to be distracted by other projects which aren't stalled. Which is what I've been letting myself do for the last few years.

I think that the solution is probably mainly going to involve cutting the stalled missions where necessary. It's unfortunate, but it effectively removes the challenges and will allow things to progress from what has been an insanely long stall. I will have a chance to review things tonight and see where everything stands.

EDIT: The main hall mentioned above: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=88814.msg1850928#msg1850928

And the screenshot: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93688.msg1851960#msg1851960
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:23:29 pm by Black Wolf »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Glad to hear that so much :)

Actually, what kind of issue do you have with these missions? Or would that spoil too much?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Maybe try to look for some help here? I'm sure some of our veteran freders are likely to help you, especially considering the fact that TI is very old project.

I guess it's about time to bring this project to the light, and let community to familiarize with it. Development in the shadows makes sense for some time as I did with Exile, but for TI it's way too long.

Exactly my thoughts. I simply believed this deserves way more attention.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Structural ones, mainly. One was among the coolest things I've ever FREDded, a sneaking mission over a moon. But once the sneaking was done, the rest of the mission just didn't work. It was awkward to play and not fun, and I couldn't figure out how to make it fun. Another was too short, but extending it kind if made it make no sense: I think I basically need to make a new mission to extend it.

Also, I recall the last time I played through there were balance issues that I dont recall being there previously, and might represent changes in the way the game plays over the years.

Really, none of these should have been showstoppers, but it's somehow different than with technical bugs. There's no obvious endpoint, I guess.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
That sounds like the kind of thing you need playtesters for. Some of the best mission fixes I've ever had either were ideas by playtesters or were based on comments responding to them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Exile has the same history. We basicly redesigned all dialogues, added two new missions, reworked lots of already existing ones and added whole fleet of second terran faction to Exodus Fleet. All thanks to suggestions of testers. Inferno is currently undergoing similar thing with extremely good results.

And yeah. I want to take a look :D

I know this is a bit far off, but how much progress besides Act 1 has been made, and how long is Act 1 compared with the other acts? On the Wiki it was stated that there would be up to 4 Acts with 35+ in total, and the ModDB site says that Act 2 is rather short.

And, BTW, how many people besides you are working on TI right now?

Any chance for an awnser? :nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yes, sorry, I am clearly hopeless at this.

The four act structure basically represents the four stages of the narrative. All four are written to one extent or another, several of the ships required (Aesir and Shivan) have been built, some to relatively decent standards, others to a much older standard that would probably need to be redone.

FREDding on Act 2 did start, and could be adapted to modern standards. It helps that he's, it is very short (3-4 missions) woth relatively little combat. There were one or two missions started for Act three, but they would definitely need heavy reworking or rebuilding for modern standards. Act 4 is essentially untouched.

With VA having been inactive for a long time now, I am the only one left, yes.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Anything new? :)

Hmm anybody else still interested in TI? :nervous:

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Hmm anybody else still interested in TI? :nervous:
Definitely.

Now only Black Wolf has to find the way to this thread again and see that people still care about TI and gets motivated to finish it.