Author Topic: Candidate for stupidest legal advice post in 2019  (Read 1778 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Candidate for stupidest legal advice post in 2019
...and yes, I realize it's only January 1st:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdviceUK/comments/abi4pa/proposed_to_girlfriend_whilst_drunk_on_nye_night/

Short version:
-British man gets drunk and proposes to girlfriend on New Year's Eve with the 1800 pound sterling ring he bought.  Pictures posted across Snapchat, Facebook etc.
-Man ACTUALLY bought the ring as he meant to propose to his work colleague on an upcoming holiday, NOT the girlfriend he lives with.
-Man whines spectacularly about his idiocy.
-Man questions if taking the ring from the girlfriend his lives with would not be stealing because, after all, he bought it.
-Everyone marvels that this man has managed to partially sustain relationships with not one but two women.

I, for one, am hoping both women become aware of all of this and dump his sorry, stupid, cheating ass to the curb.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Candidate for stupidest legal advice post in 2019
I tend to agree with the first reply. His best chance is to tell her what happened and hope he can find the ring after she throws it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Interesting that such a person would consider "getting married" an option in the first place.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I'm not sure if this is real or not, I mean, I've seen people act this stupid with my very eyes so it could be easily be real.
but still, I'm not sure that it is. .

Either way:
Hidden Text: Show

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
New Years Resolutions:

1. Date one woman at a time.
2. Be 100% honest with that woman at all times.
3. Never ever EVER cohabitate. There's a damn good reason why you're supposed to wait for marriage.
4. Don't get drunk.
5. If you have to get drunk don't get drunk with your girlfriend.
6. Own up when you make a mistake. "Can I cancel the engagement...?" Whiney coward, looking for the easiest way out at all costs.
6. Dont celebrate New Years Eve ever again wait wut.  :p

dump his sorry, stupid, cheating ass to the curb.
  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
1. It's recommended, but note that dating doesn't mean proposing right away.
2. Recommended, but it's personal. Some people might not find it the best way and if it works for them, then it's fine, I guess.
3. Uhhh... No. Let people be people. If someone is in a serious relationship, the person won't hit up or outright bang his/her flatmate. And the guy it's about didn't actually come to anything like this even though he did live with his GF (but don't quote me on that, I didn't read the full reddit thread).
4. Oh, on the contrary. Please do.
5. Definitely not. If you're afraid of saying something you were hiding if you get drunk, perhaps it's better if it does happen.
6. I guess the best way would be to tell the truth and ask her to return the ring. Definitely better than a cirrus made out of lies.

Also blatantly and intentionally cheating people should get dumped right away.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've never understood why people propose when they are cheating on someone. Cheating on a wife or girlfriend is bad. Cheating on a fiance(e) is just plain stupid. If you're cheating on them you obviously don't want to be with them that much, why the hell are you marrying them?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
3. Uhhh... No. Let people be people. If someone is in a serious relationship, the person won't hit up or outright bang his/her flatmate. And the guy it's about didn't actually come to anything like this even though he did live with his GF (but don't quote me on that, I didn't read the full reddit thread).

Uhh... why would you want to put yourself in a situation conducive to that in the first place?  :confused:

I do make a correction: Where I live intimacy is taken for granted if two of the opposite gender share a flat. Basically if they're living together, we all know what they're up to. Happens all the time, it's what we call 'the hood'.  :p If I understand correctly, it's done in other places, such as Europe, without negative connotations being assumed or necessarily occurring.

Still not at all a good idea to put yourself in that situation, IMHO, but yeah. Probably good to clear that up, thanks Mito.  :yes:

Anyway don't know if this is the place to argue about why the guy was stupid - we're all here to sit around and laugh 'cause we all know he was stupid:lol:

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I've never understood why people propose when they are cheating on someone. Cheating on a wife or girlfriend is bad. Cheating on a fiance(e) is just plain stupid. If you're cheating on them you obviously don't want to be with them that much, why the hell are you marrying them?

Money usually or some other perceived win for them. "If I marry her, I only have to pay half the bills I have now and can spend more getting fly honeys!" (People still say fly honeys, right?)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Wow, this may supersede the lane splitting asshole on r/motorcylces that almost caused an accident and was surprised when he went down in flames in reddit when everyone agreed he was a complete  bell end.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Every time I read stuff like that I'm wondering whether that is real (certainly possible) or just trolls that want to see how people react to their bizarre stories.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Well, in the first place, i am not sure, if this is an official love triangle between the three or not.

I mean... he calls his girlfriend still girlfriend, but want to marry another woman... so that would mean he has two girlfriends for quite some time, because i am not planning to marry someone i have a very short relationship with.

If it is, i do not see the problem in it, because Engagement could be simple the highest level of their relationship that does not need to follow up with a marriage. :)
If it is not however.. well :banghead: or all three should try one ;).  It can be stressful sometimes and there will be times of jealousy, too, but it is also very exciting and rewarding.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Every time I read stuff like that I'm wondering whether that is real (certainly possible) or just trolls that want to see how people react to their bizarre stories.

Reddit thrives on fake stories so I wouldn't be surprised. If you look at the user's history, he's also posted on r/weddingplanning and r/EngagementRings and that's it. Just seems a bit too well-crafted of a story tbh.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
New Years Resolutions:

1. Date one woman at a time.
2. Be 100% honest with that woman at all times.
3. Never ever EVER cohabitate. There's a damn good reason why you're supposed to wait for marriage.
4. Don't get drunk.
5. If you have to get drunk don't get drunk with your girlfriend.
6. Own up when you make a mistake. "Can I cancel the engagement...?" Whiney coward, looking for the easiest way out at all costs.
6. Dont celebrate New Years Eve ever again wait wut.  :p

dump his sorry, stupid, cheating ass to the curb.
  :yes: :yes: :yes:

:yes:

New Years Resolutions:

Well mine was to FRED 1 mission per week, and I already almost failed now, so you expect them to be able to achieve an entire list o' them?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:06:07 pm by Nightmare »