Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 242575 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The intended behavior is for sigs to expand to a pre-determined height over the course of one second (no way to expand to the natural sig height using only CSS3, and I'd rather not slow things down with javascript if there are alternatives) after being hovered over for half a second.

Since sigs are most definitely a non-vital part of the forum content, I'm perfectly content with this behavior only being available for modern browsers. Older browsers should expand the sigs instantly; if this isn't happening for you, and you've already tried to clear your cache / force-refresh, let me know what OS, browser, and browser version you're using.

I'll do my best not to implement modern-browsers-only features for vital things like reply buttons and such. :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Just thought I'd pop in and say that on modern browser, the sig still pops up instantly, no delay.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why do all sigs need to expand? Many that expand are just empty...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, I find it unnecessary and slightly annoying. HLP has always been minimalist, this seems just as unnecessary as avatars.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Do the smart thing, disable signatures.
It helps a lot.
el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
problem is that some like Spicious have useful links in their sigs
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, signatures can be useful, and they can also help identify people's posts. But having them automatically expand, even if they're only one line long, whenever you mouse over it for a second or two completely defeats the purpose of having collapsible signatures in the first place if you ask me.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah, signatures are usefull sometimes, for the time being you can still disable them and if you need to see any of those just go to the profile of the user you are looking for, the signature is showed on the lower part of the summary.

As for new users around the forums that might benefit from these signatures, I believe new users tend to just read posts and avoid signatures most of the times but... well, nothing more to add on my side about this really, everything else has been said already.
el hombre vicio...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I don't get what the big deal is with the signatures... position your mouse over the username when scrolling and they won't expand... avoid the beam loitering in front of the beam cannon and you won't get hit, pilot!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Reply button. It gets covered by the expanded sig.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
a 1 second delay on their expansion  or a manual control next to the sig to expand them would be nice if it can be done
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Make the button bar move (aka the sig "pushes" it)?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
That would be even more annoying if it pushes the rest of the page down.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
No, I was thinking just the buttons.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Just use the Quick Reply box? :p

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Just use the Quick Reply box? :p
it also covers the quote button

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Not on my browser it doesn't.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
hmmm, ok i can see the last 3 letters

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just thought I'd pop in and say that on modern browser, the sig still pops up instantly, no delay.

...if this isn't happening for you, and you've already tried to clear your cache / force-refresh, let me know what OS, browser, and browser version you're using.

I'd thank you for the info, but there is none; "modern browser" tells me nothing. ;)

Generally speaking, because sigs are often useful, we retain the functionality on the forums. However, the previous implementation of a limited-height scrollable area would interrupt scrolling under certain, not-uncommon circumstances, so I've been experimenting with alternatives. I wish the current method allowed for expansion to the sig's native height, but it doesn't. The previous method, where the sig expanded instantly, did adapt to each sig's natural height, but since sigs were popping on and off as one scrolled around, it got the hatchet. I could probably use javascript to get the desired functionality, but I'm not ready to resort to that quite yet.

On another note, I hashed out a change to the post action buttons (quote, reply, etc). You should see a dark "ghost" of the buttons on posts that aren't being hovered over, and they'll pop into normalcy when hovered over. Lemme know what you think.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
personally i think the ghost version could do with bing a little lighter, but apart from that i like it