Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 578311 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Dns doesn't propagate (though the apparent effect is similar).  Changes are instant, but they are cached and then have to expire.

That is assuming that they have other IPs to move their customers to.  It may also be a matter of convincing beastnode's host to give beastnode a new group of IP and null routing the previous group.
which is pretty much what i meant.

in short, changing ip's is a smidge harder than what kyadck seems to imply. yes its ezpz on your local nets and so on, but when you're dealing with static ip's, accessible on the global net, well...
But, it still faster than the how many hours of downtime thus far? (Unless the DNS record has an insane time to live).
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
Dns doesn't propagate (though the apparent effect is similar).  Changes are instant, but they are cached and then have to expire.

That is assuming that they have other IPs to move their customers to.  It may also be a matter of convincing beastnode's host to give beastnode a new group of IP and null routing the previous group.
which is pretty much what i meant.

in short, changing ip's is a smidge harder than what kyadck seems to imply. yes its ezpz on your local nets and so on, but when you're dealing with static ip's, accessible on the global net, well...
But, it still faster than the how many hours of downtime thus far? (Unless the DNS record has an insane time to live).
true, true.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

This isn't DNS games, minecraft servers are direct ip, there is no name for the Domain Name Service to service.

And yes, changing to a different static IP is easy. You static route your router to begin with, with a 0.0.0.0 catch all, and when you need to change what IP works for what server, you simply add a new static route and delete the old one, changing only the static internet IP. Done.

This is a 5 min job tops for anyone who knows what they are doing on a real* router per server at the most. Most likely is their entire range is being hit, because this is a simple solution and they're losing customers by not being able to do anything and waiting on the ISP.

*(Real implies they are using something commercial grade, which they better be. Think Cisco)

Since they are still capable of selling servers, I'm going to say they have plenty of IPs left.

@Qazwsx: I would consider putting in a support ticket asking if changing the server's IP is an option. If for some reason it is only our IP getting hit, then this would be a quicker solution.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
Server may or may not be running on 184.22.118.104:25555 or possibly 184.22.104.118:25555, I can't remember the bloody IP.
if it is, it's probably running badly.

wooooooo
also, please test, if it's still derping on here (other than out of memory problems which are more than likely to happen), there may be a bigger issue.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I can't connect to either, although the first IP appears to at least be giving me proper Java errors as opposed to plain "Can't Connect" stuff (i.e. I think the first one is the actual IP).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:

This isn't DNS games, minecraft servers are direct ip, there is no name for the Domain Name Service to service.
Huh?

Since they are still capable of selling servers, I'm going to say they have plenty of IPs left.
Again, just because they can sell servers doesn't mean that their commercial site is on the same host or even the same datacenter as the servers that they are selling.  In addition you are assuming that they actually own the IPs that they give out with their servers and IPs aren't actually owned by the company that runs the datacenter or by the company that provides the server hardware or network connectivity.  Basically, what I am saying is, they may not be allowed to null route IP blocks or change the IPs assigned to the servers that they are selling.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Going to try to nip it in the bud... Re: Minecraft
Ok everyone, MC 1.1 dropped today.  There isn't a recommended build of bukkit yet, so don't pester or ask.

Once the RB comes out, then your owner/admins have to test the plugins they use and potentially wait for the newer versions that will work with the latest RB from bukkit.  You want up to the minute stats?  Go look at the bukkit forums for yourself, and then give the owners/admins time to actually get them in place.  We have jobs that pay the bills and other responsibilities that take precedence over something that we do for fun and don't make a dime off of it.

Again, don't pester or ask.  The servers will be upgraded when it's done.

And most importantly...

DO NOT LINK OR OFFER COPIES OF THE MINECRAFT.JAR

Doing so is redistribution of Mojang intellectual property, it is NOT open source code.  Anyone one that does will have their post deleted at the very least.

I also have no problems with handing out warnings as well for doing this.

There are ways to get the earlier versions of minecraft if you clicked without making a backup first.  I have posted at least two legal ways to revert back to earlier versions of minecraft previously, search the thread.  There is also the Digiex Minecraft Launcher/Version Changer available, so there is no reason or excuse to 'share it out' to anyone else.

EDIT: Found another way of doing it.  YMMV, of course, but here it is:
If using windows 7 you can use previous versions and just roll back to before the update just right click .mincraft folder and then select properties and select previous versions selct one from before update and select restore.

Now, back to your regular creeper dodging.  :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:48:23 pm by rev_posix »
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
*Pesters about updating just becuase I'm a dick*  :drevil:

But yeah, I've updated and it's......okay. Sheep regrow wool, stuffs been rebalanced and you can spawn mobs in creative. TBH it just done what a couple of the mods I have on my hard drive, I just didn't need to do any of the screwing around in the .jar.  :doubt:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Huh?

Again, just because they can sell servers doesn't mean that their commercial site is on the same host or even the same datacenter as the servers that they are selling.  In addition you are assuming that they actually own the IPs that they give out with their servers and IPs aren't actually owned by the company that runs the datacenter or by the company that provides the server hardware or network connectivity.  Basically, what I am saying is, they may not be allowed to null route IP blocks or change the IPs assigned to the servers that they are selling.

DNS time to live, or DNS anything for that matter is not applicable to this scenario because there are no names involved; it's all IP addresses. Look back before techno barged in rudely up to the point I said DNS has nothing to do with it.

And should that be the case, then transfer the server to another one with a different IP and inform the user. Or ask if they would wish to (probably a better option). Since they have server locations both in the US and across seas, there are plenty of locations to pick from. The odds of every location of every country they use being down is slim to none.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
*Pesters about updating just becuase I'm a d*ck*  :drevil:
:lol:

But yeah, I've updated and it's......okay. Sheep regrow wool, stuffs been rebalanced and you can spawn mobs in creative. TBH it just done what a couple of the mods I have on my hard drive, I just didn't need to do any of the screwing around in the .jar.  :doubt:
I'm not holding my breath on it, but I'm hoping that the glitchy mobs in multiplayer are fixed, or at least better than they were.  According to the changelog, such as it is, for 1.1, there were various bug fixes done.

I've not had a chance to test with the new vanilla or the dev bukkit build, probably won't get time to do so until much later tonight.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
*Pesters about updating just becuase I'm a dick*  :drevil:

Sweet. Now I don't need to murder several hundred sheep on Pec's server just to reduce the amount of clutter the woolless bastards make
"No"

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken