Author Topic: Mainhall  (Read 2729 times)

Offline x3110

• New at the community!!!
Are there any copyright restrictions on the main hall interface or can we freely use it to create our own work??
Hate the ads at Mediafire.
Skip most of them by adding "#2" at the end of link!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original copyright for all FS2 assets is still in effect.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline x3110

In plane English,I can't copy or edit any freespace 2 assets for use in another application\enhancement?
So what can files can i use from the basic orignal files?
EDIT:And didn't TBP use the assets after modyfying to create a standalone game??
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:28:21 am by x3110 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Technically speaking, you can't use the original files for anything other than what they were intended for. There is a loophole concerning fair use in derivative works (aka fan fiction, aka what we are doing here).
And TBP did replace most files  from FS2 with homegrown versions. There might be a few from retail FS2 left over, mostly in the interface.

That said, if you want to use retail assets (like the interface) in a mod, you don't need to copy anything. If you read about how FS2 modding works, you will see that the retail assets are always available to you.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
But you can't take the mainhall and pass it off as your own work somewhere else, for example.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline x3110

HEHE,
I am not planning to sell it off as my creation,
I just though of a good INTERACTIVE desktop background for freespace lovers and fanatics and the terran and vasudan mainhall fit that part perfectly.
If it works then i plan on creating a good xp &vista transformation pack with logon\logoff screens as i don't think there currently are