Author Topic: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0  (Read 118873 times)

Offline neoterran

Just wanted to thank you for your work SoulStorm. Although you may not realize it, your work and time here helping people helps thousands of people on macs play Freespace 2 in their spare time. For that, we salute you.

Three Cheers for SoulStorm....

Hip Hip ....
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Thanks a lot for your good words..! It's always good to see satisfied users! The work behind Fs2_Open is admirable, and I am really happy to even handle some basic aspects of this big project such as the Launcher for OS X.

I had my semester exams, and I didn't notice that anti-aliasing has been implemented into FS2_Open (thanks, blowfish). Expect a new version of the Launcher with anti-aliasing support to be released pretty soon!
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline Soulstorm

A new patch is out, but I haven't commit the change yet. I need someone to test this new version before I release it.

You can download the new version (in beta) here: http://www.soulstorm-creations.com/tests/FS2_Launcher-beta.zip

Offline GreyKat

Hello Soulstorm, I have the same problem people have mentionned before when starting your launcher after
I changed the app path.

I get this from the console:
2010-01-14 11:59:18.621 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] 1
2010-01-14 11:59:18.641 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] found mod folder: /Users/ddouvill/Library/FS2_Open
2010-01-14 11:59:18.645 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] 1
2010-01-14 11:59:18.646 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] /Users/ddouvill/Freespace2/FS2_Open-3.6.10.app
2010-01-14 11:59:18.647 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] An uncaught exception was raised
2010-01-14 11:59:18.648 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] *** -[NSCFString setString:]: nil argument
2010-01-14 11:59:18.649 FS2_Launcher[53778:903] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSCFString setString:]: nil argument'
*** Call stack at first throw:
(
   0   CoreFoundation                      0x95da740a __raiseError + 410
   1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x9480e509 objc_exception_throw + 56
   2   CoreFoundation                      0x95da7138 +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 136
   3   CoreFoundation                      0x95da70aa +[NSException raise:format:] + 58
   4   Foundation                          0x962304a2 mutateError + 156
   5   FS2_Launcher                        0x00003bec _Z11identifyExeP8NSString + 386
   6   FS2_Launcher                        0x00005955 -[GeneralHandler getFlagFile] + 47
   7   FS2_Launcher                        0x0000663e -[GeneralHandler reloadAll] + 124
   8   FS2_Launcher                        0x0000532c -[GeneralHandler awakeFromNib] + 28
   9   CoreFoundation                      0x95d40b34 -[NSSet makeObjectsPerformSelector:] + 196
   10  AppKit                              0x90a01478 -[NSIBObjectData nibInstantiateWithOwner:topLevelObjects:] + 1566
   11  AppKit                              0x909ff450 loadNib + 257
   12  AppKit                              0x909feaa3 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) _loadNibFile:nameTable:withZone:ownerBundle:] + 831
   13  AppKit                              0x909fe759 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) loadNibFile:externalNameTable:withZone:] + 158
   14  AppKit                              0x909fe6a4 +[NSBundle(NSNibLoading) loadNibNamed:owner:] + 383
   15  AppKit                              0x909fb4a9 NSApplicationMain + 434
   16  FS2_Launcher                        0x000023fe _start + 216
   17  FS2_Launcher                        0x00002325 start + 41
)
Trace/BPT trap

The weird thing is, it worked flawlessly on my home computer but not on my work laptop.
My guess is (as a fellow Mac developer) that at work I use the case sensitive HFS filesystem, and your code
that locates the binary inside the .app must have a lower/upper case typo that doesn't create any problem on a case insensitive filesystem (which I have at home).

Hope that helps.

GreyKat

Offline Soulstorm

Thanks for the heads up. From the console, it seems not to be related to letter case sensitivity.

The problem that people have mentioned before is the symptom, not the cause, as each one of them couldn't start the launcher for different reasons. Anyway, I will look into the matter today. Don't know what time is it in your country, but here is early morning, so, I will look at it in the evening, when I get back from work.

Thing is, the Launcher needs a rewrite, but I don't have the time to do it. And in an early thread for the next major upgrade (a complete rewrite), people didn't seem much acceptance for a new version for OS X- only, so I decided not to do it at the time.

I was away from the forums for a while because I have a real work now as a freelancer, and I imagined that my little launcher would have been replaced. Seems this is not the case, as I still see many users and I may need to reconsider making FS2_Launcher 4. Time will tell.

Until I see what's wrong, I need you to delete the Launcher's preferences and your command line file. Refer to this page to see how you will do that. If the problem persists, please post back here, with the console crash report.

Offline GreyKat

I already deleted the preference file and the command line file over 10 times.
There really is something up with the path to the FreeSpace application cause your launcher boots up fine as long as I don't
change it to my installation directory.

I can look at the code if you want, but I completely understand if you don't want to show it to a pure stranger which is at his 2nd post on the forum.

Offline Soulstorm

I may do that, as a last solution. Give me some time to see what the problem is. I haven't looked at anything yet, due to my loaded schedule. I will look at it soon, after I create a case sensitive Journaled file system to experiment with. I have an external HDD that may do the trick.

As for the code, I may give it to you, if I fail to find the problem, or if I don't manage to reproduce it, but be warned: the code is a MESS. I wrote it some years ago, during my first steps in programming for Mac. I would surely do things much different now, that's why I am trying to find the time to rewrite it.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You can also just use the Disk Utility tool to shrink your main partition a bit and create a new HFS+ with Case sensitivity partition on your main drive.  We do that at work for our local dev server environment.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Soulstorm

My primary disk has suffered so much after I tried to install Linux in it, that I want to leave it intact at the moment... :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Ah yeah.  Mine is so buttraped after putting Ubuntu on it that I can't even use Disk Utility on it anymore.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Soulstorm

Just wanted to let you know, guys that I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. However, I have an idea about that. I will test it in the weekend, and will post back the results.

Sorry for taking so long, but I really don't have the time to test it more at the time...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
At least you still give updates more frequently than most of the FreeSpace mods here. :p

:warp:
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Soulstorm

Good news, people (sort of).

I managed to reproduce the problem. And I have found the exact line that crashes the problem. I haven't got a clue as to why it crashes. But at least I managed to see the circumstances which produce the fault.

More info in short time...

EDIT: Success! The new version will be uploaded later today.
PS. The Launcher really needs a rewrite. I have XCode complaining about deprecated frameworks... :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:19:51 am by Soulstorm »

Offline Soulstorm

Done. those of you who can't download the update from inside the application (since it doesn't open), you can download it here:

http://www.soulstorm-creations.com/support/fs2_launcher/FS2_Open_Launcher_3.1.3.dmg

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy

Offline Soulstorm

I wish I knew what that meant... :)

Offline Soulstorm

It seems my site is down, due to server mishaps. They should renew my domain instantly after expiration, but they didn't. I expect my site to be back online within short time. I just resolved the matter.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Was it down? I just updated the Launcher successfully.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Soulstorm

It was, but the problem has been fixed.

Offline clay_9

Re: FS2_Launcher OS X 3.0
Greetings people, first post and with a problem!
I have just downloaded FS2_open, 3.6.10 and the most recent version of Soulstorms v3 launcher. The launcher worked the first time, I directed it to where FS2_Open was located, I didn't do too much else, not even touched the mod options as was still reading up about the mediavps. I can't remember if it was on the first time it was loaded up, it may have been the second time, it crashed out.

And I haven't been able to boot it up since, trying to launch it brings an immediate FS2_Launcher quit unexpectedly dialog box. I have deleted the FS2_open folder under library and the com.soulstorm file in preferences, but still no luck (after deleteing these files it does first state it will create new preference files, it created the FS2 folder but interestingly the com.soulstorm file is not created again, it doesn't get that far before crashing.

The error log it generates is very long, would it help to post or is there something painfully obvious that I'm missing here?

Please help!!