Author Topic: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)  (Read 86149 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Re: Blue Planet: The Battle Captains (Fan Campaign)
Newest Orion wrecking Shivans! TheHound approved!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Luis Dias

My Orion seems to defend itself from the Sath pretty well! It's strange, from certain angles my hull is invincible or smth. If I aim correctly I can finish off a Sath, but it takes forever.

E: oh and of course Battuta's words come to mind: you showed amazingly well how flying an Orion is ****ing awesome :D, it's so cool! Obligatory download!

E2: On a side note, the nebula going the "wrong way" (I know why it does what it does, but my brain doesn't) keeps ****ing with my visual instincts.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
My Orion seems to defend itself from the Sath pretty well! It's strange, from certain angles my hull is invincible or smth. If I aim correctly I can finish off a Sath, but it takes forever.

:wtf: Guess I should've made sure that my instant-kill failure condition was actually an instant-kill failure condition. Maybe it's a build-related bug?

EVERYONE: Please play on a recent RC or nightly. It may fix beam-damage problems.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Luis Dias

I'm using the 3.7.1 BP AVX build. If I play it again, I might do it in the debug version if you think that might help.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
The debug version didn't work when I tried to beta-test with it; it doesn't like the capship command script, and I don't know LUA, so I can't fix that problem right now.

Besides the beam-damage bugs, anything else to report from a tech-support standpoint?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline Luis Dias

Not yet, works like a charm!

But I do have one aesthetic idea... why not instead of using a nebula (with the distance fog set to max) don't you use a similar thing to what was done in WiH tenebra in that jupiter mission? My idea is to dump off those strange unintuitive very near sprites of clouds that always go against your rotation movements (making me dizzy) and instead have a nice double rotating background? Just a thought.

Anyways I really enjoyed slashing all those Rakshasas, Cains and Liliths to smithereens :D

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I blew up the cruiser artillery before the spotter wings showed up, and that objective was never completed.  Mission seemed to be stuck from there on.

e:  Also my entire fighter force exploded during the timeskip, no idea why.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
 :eek2:

Just ran this (actually ran it with the BP build incidentally; sorry only just read your req to use latest nightly). Gotta say, bloody impressive, not only as a mission (nice story, nice dialogue, good difficulty balance I felt too) but also as a modification (I thought making a Karuna or Deimos flyable was an achievement! :lol:); must've taken some serious FREDing and modding, so E-pat on the back from me for that! :yes:

Could see no real issues in my play; health did seem a little invulnerable in the first few fights but it went down a lot more in the closing fights (perhaps that beam bug people have been mentioning?), and I noticed once or twice the Carthage jerking a bit when I shifted ETS (was shifting between full engines and full weapons a lot); it sometimes looked like it would suddenly be moving at 10m/s and then start slowing down to 0 again.

That said, to be frank, to hell with those bugs; this is staggering and hats off to you for making it! Nice music too; that FinalFight one has to be among the best pieces I've heard in a while, may I ask where it's from? (sorry soft spot for nice music :o).
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Luis Dias

Oh right about the dialogue... I understand where you went with the "Next Admiral Wolf ... Only if I lose" lines, but wasn't that just too much? Perhaps with a slight change? Dunno it took me out of immersion.

Offline crizza

Ah, so loosing the Hecate triggers the Sath which is meant to destroy the Carthage...
I'm blasting at the Sath in time compressing for about three hours and keep wondering, when this pesky 1% of the Sath will jump to zero...

Well, but apart from it I love it, although controlling the Carthage is a pain, for some reasons turning that beast is...well...dunno, I can't close distance with the cruisers and corvettes fast enough...

Offline Luis Dias

Ah so it's the loss of the Hecate. My. Because I lost the Hecate precisely when I finished the Demon I thought the trigger was the Demon dying. And I was several Ks away from the node, so I thought "well if the Sath is the end trigger and it goes right before the Demon dies... this should be seriously difficult at the end!" I'll give it a try in a day or two or twenty.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Quote from:  Luis Dias
But I do have one aesthetic idea... why not instead of using a nebula (with the distance fog set to max) don't you use a similar thing to what was done in WiH tenebra in that jupiter mission? My idea is to dump off those strange unintuitive very near sprites of clouds that always go against your rotation movements (making me dizzy) and instead have a nice double rotating background? Just a thought.

Out of all the elements in the mission, neither I nor my beta-testers actually thought about altering the background. I copied the background info straight from a retail mission; FWIW, my approach might help align the mission with the retail campaign, I suppose. Might consider it for the Collector's Gold Edition Rerelease, though.

Oh right about the dialogue... I understand where you went with the "Next Admiral Wolf ... Only if I lose" lines, but wasn't that just too much? Perhaps with a slight change? Dunno it took me out of immersion.

Guess you think I overdid it with the parallelism. I'd hoped that the parallelism would help make this mission part of Lopez's character arc, by illustrating a similar situation where she took a risk against an overwhelming enemy force, but survived and rescued people. What does everyone else think about the writing?

Ah so it's the loss of the Hecate. My. Because I lost the Hecate precisely when I finished the Demon I thought the trigger was the Demon dying. And I was several Ks away from the node, so I thought "well if the Sath is the end trigger and it goes right before the Demon dies... this should be seriously difficult at the end!" I'll give it a try in a day or two or twenty.

I'm not THAT sadistic as to throw you against a Sath and actually expect you to win. :p The real ending, though, should hopefully be epic enough for you.  :)
Quote from: QuakeIV
I blew up the cruiser artillery before the spotter wings showed up, and that objective was never completed.  Mission seemed to be stuck from there on.

e:  Also my entire fighter force exploded during the timeskip, no idea why.

:confused: The cruisers shouldn't have even arrived before the spotter wings did.

Dunno why your entire force would've exploded; they're supposed to be replaced by fresh wings during the timeskip, with wave and time-compression trickery.

must've taken some serious FREDing and modding, so E-pat on the back from me for that! :yes:

YOU BET IT DID. :nod: This mission was around two months plus in the making, and it was a pain to FRED and test/balance/bugfix the whole way through. I hope that the resulting product pleases people, at least.

Nice music too; that FinalFight one has to be among the best pieces I've heard in a while, may I ask where it's from? (sorry soft spot for nice music :o).

Enjoy. Found it while looking for epic music. A full list of music used is in the readme, in the mod folder.

Quote from: crizza
Ah, so loosing the Hecate triggers the Sath which is meant to destroy the Carthage...
I'm blasting at the Sath in time compressing for about three hours and keep wondering, when this pesky 1% of the Sath will jump to zero...

Did you have the beam-invincibility bug too, or is the Sath just too wimpy to kill you before you can outmaneuver it?

I would've thought that the Sath not dying at 1% HP would've tipped you off to the fact that it's guardianed.  :p

Well, but apart from it I love it, although controlling the Carthage is a pain, for some reasons turning that beast is...well...dunno, I can't close distance with the cruisers and corvettes fast enough...

Well, it's an Orion; what do you expect? :p It's already zippier than its retail version. Just to make sure, did you use the Thruster Boost ability with engines on full?

Offline Luis Dias

My main problem was my wings were just gone. Vaporized to dust. I bet ya that the fault was with that goddamned field commander, constantly telling them to disarm this and that corvette without any sense of self-respect or defense, carelessly flying through hordes of red ants as if they didn't have laser guns pointing at them. Typical.

Then, half of my beams (right side) were also gone. Always with my left broadside to the cruisers, bam bam bam. Felt so good. And then the Demon comes from my right angle, because why not? Lost some seconds, and even despite my magnificent rule, missed the winstate by one or two seconds. And now you chant about prizes of glorious epicness and make me want to play it again right now. I won't be able to, but still!

Offline crizza

NAILED IT!
Jesus, I'm absolutely in love with this.
Got the Carthage to bear on every single shivan asset.
Lost my Strikecraft during the timeskip/checkpoint, but hey, even so I managed to save the zod cruiser and my valiant remaining Artemis wiped the floor with the shivans during the final encounter.
Is there a third Ravana jumping in at the end? I'm pretty sure the overcharge of the Zod killed one and I nailed the other, but hey^^

Oh and for the Sath: My hull dropped to 51%, by then I was able to outmaneuver it...and once I realised the guardian' thingy I move back into its firing arc...and still neither the Carthage nor the Sath went down^^
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:36:31 pm by crizza »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can everyone with beam damage trouble report what build they're using?

Offline crizza

Uh... FS2 Open 3.7.1 (BP) SSE2
But damage scaled nicely without the Sath...I even managed to get killed in the opening bombing run -.- :lol:

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Uh... FS2 Open 3.7.1 (BP) SSE2
But damage scaled nicely without the Sath...I even managed to get killed in the opening bombing run -.- :lol:

I wrote that debrief assuming that players would probably never actually fail badly enough to read it. Guess I was wrong. :lol:

Luis, all the Carthage's subsystems were supposed to be completely indestructible.  :confused: My beta-testers and I ran through the mission fairly extensively, but now you guys discover a bunch of new bugs. Take the old military aphorism, "No plan ever survives contact with the enemy", and replace "plan" with "campaign" and "enemy" with "players", and you describe every modder's release experience, from BP on down. :p

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Yeah my armor is actually crazily durable, I can tank almost anything.  It wasn't as obvious until I ran into the sath.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Yeah . . . :nono:

Lots of people seem to be using BP builds, while I FREDded and tested the mission on recent nightly builds with all the compatibility stuff installed. I wouldn't think that would cause a weird durability bug for people playing it on BP builds, but this far into the frontier of experimental FREDding, weird bugs are bound to happen, as Battuta's bughunts have taught us.

Try playing on a regular build with all the compatibility stuff, and see if that works?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes there's some kind of issue where the player cannot take beam damage. Other damage seems to work okay (I think).

I don't think it's a BP-specific bug, since the BP code doesn't really touch this stuff (I think), but it is probably a bug that was extant in the code around hte time these builds were generated.

Again please note this when searching for the bug: THE BUG DOES NOT SEEM TO APPLY TO BOMB DAMAGE. It's all about invulnerability to beams.