Author Topic: BETA RELEASE: Colossuss Mk2  (Read 7841 times)

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Re: BETA RELEASE: Colossuss Mk2
It works the same in the end - specifc poligons applied to very mall portions of a texture. Or should I say vice-versa? Planar mapping I mean.

Unwraping is a more precise and direct approach. Certanly far better for complex maps and smaller ships.

If I have a texture that has griders for he hull, barrels for the turrets and fences and pipes for some greeble? I can use planar mapping to get the same result as unwrapping.

excuse me for butting in but doesn't it sound better if you create a texture after the UV mapping then the other way around? to be serious with you in my opinion all detailed meshwork should be uvmapped no matter the size of the ship. If you work with the model instead of trying to fit a specific 512x512 (and such) texture on it you'll get so much better results. :)
Also if can work around the subject of haveing multiple maps of geebles by forming it after one uvmapped texture. It's a pity that so much detail of your ship gets lost with the current textureing.

edit: in hindsight this might create a extra mosterious workload but for the sake of teh pretties I think it could very well be worth it. :p

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:03:41 am by Oddgrim »
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

excuse me for butting in but doesn't it sound better if you create a texture after the UV mapping then the other way around?

Depends. I don't really do it exactly that way, not even for fighters.

For fighters I split them into parts, arrange them, then render that in wireframe and I get a nice outline for my fighter/bomber texture. Then I use that map and 3D Max to UV map it.
I guess I could unwrap them, but I never really learend to unwrap properly - the resulting wireframe map, even for something simple as a face, allways ended up looking ugly.

I certanly won't make a new texture if I have perfectly usable ones allready. A good example for large ships would be the Orion. Take for instance the big turret - uses 1 or 2 textures, but mapped very differently on different polygons. Usually done in 3D Max with UV mapping. But I did it in TS with planar mapping - and it ended up the same thing. You can even compare my Orion turret and Bobs Orion turret.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:14:46 pm by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Unwraping is a more precise and direct approach. Certanly far better for complex maps and smaller ships.
You mean for bigger ships right?

No.

Well..I guess it is better if the textures are really large and you're not going to be skimming the surface of the ship.
Works great for something like Nexus.
But for something like FS and a ship as big as the Collie? I don't really see it.

Offline Rico

I certanly won't make a new texture if I have perfectly usable ones allready. A good example for large ships would be the Orion. Take for instance the big turret - uses 1 or 2 textures, but mapped very differently on different polygons.
I can UV map, so if youd like send me the model in 3ds or obj and ill clean it up for you  :)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You mean for bigger ships right?

No.

Well..I guess it is better if the textures are really large and you're not going to be skimming the surface of the ship.
Works great for something like Nexus.
But for something like FS and a ship as big as the Collie? I don't really see it.
Exactly Because it is a big ship like the Colly. You usually won't see half the detail on a fighter in game but a large stationary object like the Collossus will draw eye attention and it comes far more noticable if it has been tiled. 
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
If you don't tile, then you need MASSIVE maps so that when you're up close, the textures aren't pixellated. On smaller craft ypu can get by with much smaller textures.

I don't find textures being tiled drawing too much attention, when just about everything else is. Sure, you miss AO and stuff I guess, but that's better than have like three 4096 x 4096 maps that weaker GPUs just refuse to load.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Right.

I'll be working on improving the collie Mk2 (naturally).

Any comment on the weapon placement?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Perhaps it could use a forward (nose mounted) cannon, but it's mostly OK.
Also, the reason why I like tile-textured ships:

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because it's really easy to make them even uglier?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Lordie. I gotta go with The_E here, no offense.

It's good to see new big warships, and this isn't a commentary on the original model, but that reskin doesn't work for me. It's very...well, tiled.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If tiling was good enough for FS1 it's good enough for you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I wouldn't say the tiling itself is the problem, more the texture chosen for the tiling. Or in this case, probably both.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Right.

Two more fighterbays for even faster takeoff of all its launch mass (which for its size, I doubt it would still be able to launch fighters as fast as a full-on carrier, but I haven't had time to look at the beta release model yet.)? XD

Weapons, idk, maybe not too near the engine pods. Maybe somewhere in between the engines in the case of defending the rear quarter? There was this up-gunned Hecate somewhere, no offense to the modder who did it but it struck me as a bit... "odd"... that a heavy beam cannon could be right on top of a full-sized engine. :doubt:

I can't think of anything else apart from that 86-turret Colly at the moment tbh. Apart from fighterbays (considering the size of, well, this Terran flagship?).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I know I said I'd fix the Collie2 over the weekend...but I kinda got my hands on King Arthur...and I kinda wanted to give it a spin..and one thing led to another and....ya know... I haven't done anything :(

Forgiveth me. :shaking:

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Right.

Weapons, idk, maybe not too near the engine pods. Maybe somewhere in between the engines in the case of defending the rear quarter? There was this up-gunned Hecate somewhere, no offense to the modder who did it but it struck me as a bit... "odd"... that a heavy beam cannon could be right on top of a full-sized engine. :doubt:
No, no, no!  :ick: The rear should stay mostly undefended, as it was meant to be.  Maybe some AAA beams, but that's it.  The undefended stern of the Super-soaker could be an interesting tragic flaw in some mod.  Sorry.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The rear is where the engines are.
Logic dictates it will be less armed then other parts of the ship, since the engines take up much of the space/surface.