Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 17144 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Interesting article on the origins of widescreens: http://www.dvdcreation.com/2001/01_jan/features/widescreen_scam.htm

Originally posted by mikhael
You should see the screen on my Axim X50v. 480x640, on a PDA screen. The display is so fine grained that you REALLY have to look close to see the pixels.

I'm pondering whether to get the Axim X50v or the upcoming Axim with internal HDD (supposedly coming this fall). Battery life will probably suffer significantly unless they compensate. Either way, I still have 3 more months of payments before I have the weight of this monster off my back. ;)

Originally posted by CP5670
I have heard that my monitor can unofficially do 2340x1755 and 2560x1920, although only at 75hz and 60hz respectively.

That's insane. My 5 megapixel camera takes photos at resolutions of 2592x1944!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

That article was interesting, and it makes perfect sense, except for one thing: blocking out parts of the frame! That's just ridiculous from a photographer's standpoint. If it's not supposed to be seen, then don't include it in the frame.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Sandwich

I'm pondering whether to get the Axim X50v or the upcoming Axim with internal HDD (supposedly coming this fall). Battery life will probably suffer significantly unless they compensate. Either way, I still have 3 more months of payments before I have the weight of this monster off my back. ;)

Well, I'd avoid the Axim with the hard drive. You can get 2gig CF cards now for a quarter of what it will cost you to get that very, very expensive micro-hard drive. You'll get better battery life to boot. Sure, you'll be replacing the CF card after a while, but by the time you do, you'll be able to get an even bigger one for yet less.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think widescreen looks good for games because it matches the human eye's field of view more closely than 4:3, but I wouldn't get a widescreen right now due to poor compatibility with older games, which I play quite a bit. Also, there are some issues with using a widescreen resolution for multiplayer FPS games. You have to adjust the FOV to make it look right, but this is considered cheating in many games and most servers do not allow it.

There is actually a 16:9 widescreen 22.5" viewable CRT out there that I was considering, but you basically are limited to used ones these days since it went out of production in late 2003 or something, and anyway it doesn't have the superior refresh rates and superbright mode that the one I eventually decided on has.

That's insane. My 5 megapixel camera takes photos at resolutions of 2592x1944!

My camera has that resolution too, so those images could be displayed almost fully. FS2 would also look pretty badass at 2560x1920, even if it's only 60hz. I would need one of those workstation cards though, which despite their extreme prices, use ancient 3D chips that wouldn't be any good for anything beyond old DX7 games, and even then not at those resolutions. I guess they are only intended for 2D usage; I've heard of some photoshop pros with those cards that got these big resolutions to work well with this monitor.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by mikhael

Well, I'd avoid the Axim with the hard drive. You can get 2gig CF cards now for a quarter of what it will cost you to get that very, very expensive micro-hard drive. You'll get better battery life to boot. Sure, you'll be replacing the CF card after a while, but by the time you do, you'll be able to get an even bigger one for yet less.

How come it'd be easier on the battery? And... replace the CF card? Oh, wait... CF card. Not Microdrive. Gotcha. But I thought they cost a couple of appendages at such sizes...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Originally posted by Mefustae
*Urge to kill... and steal... rising...*

Edited for clarity. :D
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I just went through this thread and restored all the images I'd posted that got culled as attachments or that were on a domain I lost access to.

For what it's worth, I still have the same monitor I got nearly 8 years ago, and to this day, I haven't had one single issue with it. Not a single dead/stuck pixel, nothing. It was some of the best money I've ever spent. Thanks, Dell! :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
SCP 3.6.7???

I... just had to quote this, because it seems relevant to the near future. But maybe not.

:blah:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
SCP 3.6.7???

I... just had to quote this, because it seems relevant to the near future. But maybe not.

:blah:

You can already play with builds that are effectively 3.6.7, and have been able to for a couple months :shh:

Someone ban the prat who bumped this eight year old thread tho
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:35:39 pm by General Battuta »

Offline Lorric

I would just like to know what made you decide to come back and do that after so very long?

Way before my time this thread.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
What I like is that both Thaeris and Battman experienced a bit of decimal fail there.  3.6.7 was released years ago. :p

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I think this thread might pre-date me finding HLP/SCP the first time lol
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What I like is that both Thaeris and Battman experienced a bit of decimal fail there.  3.6.7 was released years ago. :p

oops

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I would just like to know what made you decide to come back and do that after so very long?

Well, I've been working on a brochure-style site for a conference hall. On this site, there are photos of some of the different events that have been held there. One such event was back in 2007, and since I had attended that event, I thought I might have some unique pictures for it. So I opened up Picasa and began browsing back through history. Before too long, one thing led to the next and I found myself looking at the unboxing photos I'd taken of the monitor.

Then I saw the title of this thread in one of the photos, Googled it, and started re-reading through it for gits and shiggles. I came across my posts with missing photos, and got annoyed that some domain squatter was injecting a banner into the thread in place of the photos, and figured I'd go ahead and fix it.

Finally, I realized that this monitor, which I had researched a ton and invested so much money into, was still in perfect condition, even after nearly 8 years of almost constant use, and figured I'd add something of worth and report that. :)

...glad you asked? :D

Offline Lorric

Well, I've been working on a brochure-style site for a conference hall. On this site, there are photos of some of the different events that have been held there. One such event was back in 2007, and since I had attended that event, I thought I might have some unique pictures for it. So I opened up Picasa and began browsing back through history. Before too long, one thing led to the next and I found myself looking at the unboxing photos I'd taken of the monitor.

Then I saw the title of this thread in one of the photos, Googled it, and started re-reading through it for gits and shiggles. I came across my posts with missing photos, and got annoyed that some domain squatter was injecting a banner into the thread in place of the photos, and figured I'd go ahead and fix it.

Finally, I realized that this monitor, which I had researched a ton and invested so much money into, was still in perfect condition, even after nearly 8 years of almost constant use, and figured I'd add something of worth and report that. :)

...glad you asked? :D

Yes.

Oh, my TV is over 20 years old. It's the only one I've ever owned.