Author Topic: Fly me to the Moon....  (Read 17651 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Fly me to the Moon....
Pray tell, explain how that synthetization process goes...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Pray tell, how does subspace work? Why is the ML-16 laser a white blob? How does the artificial gravity work?  How do beam cannons work? Why do the fighters turn like airplanes? How do FS hull materials withstand gigaton torpedoes?

I think you get the point now.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_biology

And NASA did an experiment with synthetic food in 1965. The food was terrible, but it was nutritious, and I'm sure the GTA could do better than that after 350 years. In fact, that page even tells you how to make it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:23:29 pm by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Interesting..once CAN use synthetic food but that is costly and time consuming...not to mention that you have to have large quantites of various chemichals compounds.. and I doubt you can find all of them readily available on the Moon or Mars. All planets don't have the same composition..nor does the atmosphere (or lack thereof).

You could import the needed chemichals tough, probably from a friendly colony (assuming it has enough or at all)
That said my concern was about such a large population. Feeding millions that way is a big problem.

And one more thing...couldn't you just trash any moon colony from Earth? We can shoot lasers at the Moon with 1m precision today, hell in 300 years you could make a hole in a structure/dome without any problems.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yeah, the moon is dead from Earth IMO.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Interesting..once CAN use synthetic food but that is costly and time consuming...not to mention that you have to have large quantites of various chemichals compounds.. and I doubt you can find all of them readily available on the Moon or Mars. All planets don't have the same composition..nor does the atmosphere (or lack thereof).

You could import the needed chemichals tough, probably from a friendly colony (assuming it has enough or at all)
That said my concern was about such a large population. Feeding millions that way is a big problem.

And one more thing...couldn't you just trash any moon colony from Earth? We can shoot lasers at the Moon with 1m precision today, hell in 300 years you could make a hole in a structure/dome without any problems.

Lasers obey the inverse square law. The yield of a laser dissipates to the square of the distance to the target, which means that you won't be delivering much energy to the Moon (the same goes for particle beams). Firing weapons at such ranges would be useless.

Also, attacking a colony, especially with the kind of weapons of mass destruction you'd need to pierce an armored colony dome, would be a serious war crime and political suicide. To take the colony, you would have to land troops on the surface, invade the colony, and physically occupy it. All the while they're fighting back with ships, plasma turrets, missiles, lasers, etc.

The Moon doesn't strike me as a good place to have a rebellious colony. Mars, the asteroid belt, and Jupiter would, however, be excellent locations, with lots of natural resources, a reasonable distance from Earth, and strategic importance.

Keep in mind that Earth itself would likely be fragmented, so there would be infighting among the Earth factions that would hamper their ability to take the colonies. It would kind of suck for for the US to launch a fleet against Mars and be intercepted by a Chinese fleet.

Also, keep in mind that space colonies will have to be largely self-sufficient at first because with the rocket technology available in the conceivable future, it will take an entire year to get to Mars!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 08:01:36 pm by Woolie Wool »

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
1. They would have MUCH more powerfull lasers 300 years in the future...and it dones't even have to be a laser...mass driver anyone? You cna't miss the Moon and it will travel forver.

2. you dont' even have to hit it with much power..if you keep hitting the same spot over a period of time you'll burn trough even with a weaker laser.

3. You can only target resource production centers or food production centers

4. Colony domes armored? Better than warship hulls?

Meh...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
1. Agreed.
2. True, but the FS engine doesn't support that. :P
3. Meh.
4. Yes, better than warship hulls.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You're wrong under 2!

Make a beam cannons with 1 damage and a life of 10000000 and see it burn trough a sathanas (in about an hour or so :lol: )

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Then see the Sath turn around and use its BFReds on you.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
1. They would have MUCH more powerfull lasers 300 years in the future...and it dones't even have to be a laser...mass driver anyone? You cna't miss the Moon and it will travel forver.

2. you dont' even have to hit it with much power..if you keep hitting the same spot over a period of time you'll burn trough even with a weaker laser.

3. You can only target resource production centers or food production centers

4. Colony domes armored? Better than warship hulls?

Meh...

1: Lasers obey the inverse square law. You have to bring the laser close to the target or else you'll lose almost all of that energy. You'd need something like a Death Star to break a colony dome at that range. And the firing platform better be a satellite, because such a weapon would do horrible things if it was fired from the surface.

2. It could take months or years to burn through a lunar dome from Earth.

3. If you mix industrial, agricultural, and residential facilities together, you make it impossible to bomb a dome without politically unacceptable casualties. The human shield principle.

4. Yes! A warship is limited by size, mass, and actually having to move the damn thing, A colony dome's armor is limited only by the strength of the structural members holding it up. Make those strong enough, and you could easily make a colony dome stronger than a warship.

--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I didn't say it had to be a laser...Mass driver, plasma cannon...whatever works...can be a nuke for all I care...

Yep, you cna mix everything up...I'm sure the population will be REALLY happy they're used as human shields...especially with the synthetized paste your'e serving them...a real morale booster

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Still, Earth = HUGE staging point.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Enough of this.