Author Topic: XEnonauts Let's Play  (Read 16491 times)

As for atmosphere, I find it has great atmosphere (that's 80's vibe). To each his own I guess.

When I imply it doesn't have atmosphere I refer specifically to the hit chances.  It's difficult to believe your soldiers are real breathing people when they know the exact percentages they have to hit an enemy target. Maybe if his name is Spock, Data or C3PO that would make sense but otherwise no. It's something that bugged me about the new game as well (among other things).

If that's something I can turn off though I'll look into it.  For me it would make it a lot more enjoyable. Thanks

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What are you talking about? Old game had his chances too. They are there FOR THE PLAYER, not the soldier. And a soldier would have a rough understanding on how likely is to hit someone under different conditions
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

What are you talking about? Old game had his chances too. They are there FOR THE PLAYER, not the soldier. And a soldier would have a rough understanding on how likely is to hit someone under different conditions

No it didn't actually.

Xcom UFO Defense gave numbers for weapon accuracy.
Xenonauts gives numbers for chance to hit.

In Xcom UFO defense you're given an accuracy number which reflects the relative ability of your soldier to fire that gun. When you fire the accuracy determines how much the shot can deviate with lower accuracy resulting in much higher deviation. Even if you have 100% accuracy you can still miss the target.

In Xenonauts you're given numbers for chances to hit individual targets. You're also given the in-game formulas in the manual which detail percentages for each individual action, ranges, cover etcetera to encourage the player to maximize his manipulation of those numbers.  Aiming is even incremental allowing the best maximization of those chances. The numbers are absolute and when you fire you hit or miss based on those numbers.

And what is the end result?

Xenonauts is a hit/miss calculator. If you miss your shot is going to go some random place within a certain cone of fire. What this means for example is that if a target is behind cover, the manual for example lists a box, then the odds of hitting that target decrease by 40%. But if you miss because of that 40% shift that doesn't mean you'll be hitting the box. It just means you'll not hit the target.

XCOM meanwhile the accuracy changes the cone of fire. So taking that same example, if the target is behind a box then the cover decreases the chance to hit that target because it literally makes the target smaller. You can have a shot that deviated lower and would have hit the target's legs hit the box instead.  It's readily apparent that hitting the box prevents your shot from hitting in XCOM, but in Xenonauts that 40% reduction to hit just results in the shot going to a random location and you may never hit the box at all.

Also in XCOM if you're a long way from your target and at 80% accuracy there's a lot of room for deviation and you have the potential to miss by quite a distance. But if you're closer that same degree of deviation may not have the same time and room to grow so a shot that would miss at 80% accuracy at long range will now hit at the shorter range or it will miss by less.

So the two games are VERY different in how they handle combat both in how it's presented to the player and in how it actually functions within the game. XCOM uses radians, that is the computer shooting a beam at one target from another within the game and creating degrees by which that beam can deviate whereas Xenonauts is simply hit or miss.   Xcom gives the players numbers on the soldier's ability to fire certain types of shots given their condition whereas xenonauts gives the players numbers on the soldier's ability to hit a specific target in a specific circumstance. Xenonaut hit chances are exact numbers, Xcom's accuracy numbers are relative ability.

Or put another way, Xenonauts is a game of absolutes, Xcom is a game of degrees.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:40:07 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I think the accuracy formula was changed with the latest patch, but either way I see no problem with to-hit-chances.
Jagged Alliance 2 had them, and it's one of THE BEST games ever made.
I don't have a problem with making informed decisions.
Whom to shoot, when, how much TU's to spend, etc... all valid choices to make.

Neither do I have the problem with "not hitting the box". The same can happen in old X-Com is the shot deviates enough, and sometimes it could deviate A LOT.  There was never a gaurantee that your shot would hit the box. In fact, the early Xenonauts build used almost the same system and you ended up missing by comically large margins.

In the end, the effect is the same. If the game rolls an angle and in 80% of cases that angle ends up to big and causes a miss, then that's a 80% chance to hit.

Yeah, well it's the difference between knowing how good your guys are and knowing the odds of hitting a shot.  It's not quite the same thing.  Same with the manual, in Xcom manual it says when you kneel your shots are more accurate. In Xenonauts it says when you kneel your accuracy is 1.2x or whatever.  Different approach and I enjoy one more than the other.

Not sure about Jagged Alliance 2, never played it.  I tried Jagged Alliance 1 but always lost interest quite quickly because you don't get any good weapons to start and the gameplay feels very slow.  Might grab it off gog sometime as people are always raving about it

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If you do, the 1.13 mod that upgrades is significantly is recommended.

Just be advised, it's a very deep and addictive game.
Also, start with cheap mercs. Some are really good (Barry, Grizzly, MD, Steroid)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FTR, the 1.5 is out in beta, but it's beta only because their crew is out for the holidays and they don't want to release it to the public just in case.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Already up to 1.5? Damn.
Haven't played in a while. Will have to check to see what's new.