Author Topic: OUYA, might be awesome  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
OUYA, might be awesome
Some of you might have seen it, as it's growing more and more popular. Ouya (or OUYA, I think) is a console being developed by a small indie group, which shall use Android as it's OS. It's going to be very open for developers and hackers. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

I could imagine myself playing FSO in that ;)
Potato!

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: OUYA, might be awesome
Jesus, they've raised another million and a half in the last three days.

Well, it'll sure as hell exist now.

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Yeah, Notch tweeted them.
Potato!

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i looked at the specs. its based around a rather impressive system on a chip module. should perform on par with current gen consoles we have now. fso port will be likely considering there is intrest in porting it to raspberry pi, which opens the door for other arm based systems like this one. it all comes down to controls, will we be able to plug in a keyboard or not?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mikes

i looked at the specs. its based around a rather impressive system on a chip module. should perform on par with current gen consoles we have now. fso port will be likely considering there is intrest in porting it to raspberry pi, which opens the door for other arm based systems like this one. it all comes down to controls, will we be able to plug in a keyboard or not?

It is the exact same system that is powering current gen smart phones and tablets. Nothing too exiting really; aside from the price... it's a tablet/phone in a box lol. ;)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

It is the exact same system that is powering current gen smart phones and tablets. Nothing too exiting really; aside from the price... it's a tablet/phone in a box lol. ;)
which is what some of us are looking for.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
What can it do that a PC can't.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
It's a significantly more powerful tablet/phone in a box.  The operating system tells you very little about how much its got under the hood.

EDIT: Off the top of my head:

1) appeal to an audience that doesn't need or want the power of a full gaming rig PC to play games.
2) costs significantly less.
3) provides a platform for smaller developers to release on without spending huge bucks on a AAA title while still getting decent exposure across the platform.
4) provides an alternative to the Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo orgy of virtual monopoly on consoles.
5) Introduce the layperson to the wonders of an open source platform without having to deal with learning Linux on their own.

I could continue, if there's still more reasons you need.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:06:36 am by Scotty »

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
portability with the price. i've been looking into maybe getting a raspberry pi as a "home entertainment center thingy", which would basically serve to connect my tv to the internet at large and would let me stream **** to it without lugging my pc or waiting ages for something to copy to my usb stick...

(i'm 99% sure i will actually be getting a r-pi instead of this, but its an interesting concept)
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

It's a significantly more powerful tablet/phone in a box.  The operating system tells you very little about how much its got under the hood.

Tegra3 quad-core processor
    1GB RAM
    8GB of internal flash storage
    HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth LE 4.0
    USB 2.0 (one)
    Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
    Android 4.0

A Tegra3 should be about 1.4 or 1.6 GHz per core. 1 GB of RAM is a bit less than I'd like, but since you shouldn't be running a lot of other things at the same time, or Windows, it'll probably be enough for most things.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity

Cost less than $100.

Also, this thing is NOT on par with the XB360 or PS3.  It can probably barely stand up to the Wii.

First of all, it does have double the memory of a PS3 but a small fraction of the hard drive space.  Its CPU is also less than half as powerful, and its graphics throughput can barely be compared to what the PS3 can pull off (literally worse than 100x slower in terms of number crunching, though probably less grim in practice due to having a much newer and refined architecture and better shader cores -- if not as many).

Even so, $99 is hard to beat, especially since this will match any mobile device save for a latest-generation iPad.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:14:55 am by Dark RevenantX »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

what it really is is a quad core arm cpu some ram, and a gpu on a single chip. hince system on a chip, usually SoC for short. my big pet peeve about arm systems in the last decade was that they were all relegated to phones, which doesn't do the architecture justice at all. it was painful to watch the specs skyrocket while still being glued to a ****ing cell receiver and by extension contract that doesn't let you do anything fun with it (unless you give them $$$), and having its user interface crippled by being a phone. the last couple years have been intresting because its been steadily climbing out of that hole and has become a general computing platform (which is what it was meant to be since the beginning).

be very cheap :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 08:08:19 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
Ouya has been getting slammed by the gaming press.

www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-14-saturday-soapbox-the-trouble-with-ouya

penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-reality-of-the-ouya-console-doesnt-match-the-hype-why-you-should-be-ske

I must admit that these articles have gotten me pretty skeptical of Ouya. It basically plays to the dreams of so many people desperate for something new and it succeeded wonderfully.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
that whole article was all rhetoric. how do i know that wasnt written by people from ms, sony, or nintendo (the soc used is several times more powerful than wii)?  it sure as hell sounds like it. but heres the thing, the games industry, as it stands, has stagnated greatly. tripple as turn out the same thing over and over and seldom do anything different. console games cost upwards of $60+, and many titles are exclusive. pc games are just too eager to fall into ms's clutches to get that dreaded games for windows sticker (and forcing us to use 360 gamepads over pc joysticks!), and seldom produce anything creative or original, nobody but indie developers can do that. im not going to touch mobile gaming because thats just not something i do.

now this console is something i would buy. i am not a console gamer, the reason being is consoles block you off from the possibility of doing anything other than playing games. you cant mod, you cant dev, if i owned one, it would just sit there collecting dust. here we have a hack box, you get it, can **** with the hardware, upgrade it add stuff to it plug your hotas into it and play the theoretical arm port of the scp. and all those indie devs out there, doing original and new game ideas, will be able to port their games to it. frankly if this is all it does it will still be better than the likes of sony, ms, and nintendo (to a lesser degree, nintendo dont really have a reputation for being total dicks like the former). thats not even mentioning that the concept is friendly to the valve way of doing things. the tripple a studios are riding on a sinking ship. i say let it sink.

should point out a few things in particular i didnt like about that article. first of all in dissected the kick starter video as if it were a historical documentary. it was not, it was an advertisement to investors. its main job is to get people excited about the console to get more money for the dev costs. there was a whole paragraph ranting about their mockup techniques. which to be fair its part of the process using a wood shop might not have the finesse of the megacorprate way of using multimillion dollar equipment in the prototyping phase. but its still an effective way to produce negative molds for injection molding. it then procedes to constantly overstate the impact of piracy. complete with a mock interview with the head of ea. it rants a lot about how unrealistic the draw of tripple a studios will be. **** EA! AND **** THE OTHER AAA STUDIOS! they are part of the old infrastructure. i dont even buy ea products anymore because of the draconian drm they tend to use, not to mention all their games are franchise rehashes. i have no doubt that the guy who wrote this is a mw3 fanboi, thinks halo is the best thing since sliced bread, and really loves what ms has done to pc gaming.

i cant even finis the article, its just horrible. even if the console flops id still buy one so i could mod the living **** out of it.

my only concern is their use of a standard off the shelf os. one of the benefits of consoles is that you can code in bare metal if you need to and tell the os to go **** itself. im not sure if their choice of android is appropriate for this kind of thing. of course i never used it and it may turn out to be a good thing.

tldr: naysayers will say nay. bare metal ftw!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 10:21:29 am by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
my only concern is their use of a standard off the shelf os. one of the benefits of consoles is that you can code in bare metal if you need to and tell the os to go **** itself. im not sure if their choice of android is appropriate for this kind of thing. of course i never used it and it may turn out to be a good thing.

I'm not going to get drawn in on the article as I smell flame fuel but as for the OS I think it comes down to a combination of resource overhead and ease of access for developers.  With a project like this going up against dev networks that can pour millions after millions on a single project and an established infrastructure + fan base they have to make themselves as accessible as possible to interested game developers, if you go the route of an in house OS you then have to teach devs how to code for your new system which would be a major barrier and will hamper growth of the product.  The alternative is to use something off the shelf in which case you have to choose between full blooded OS, in which case your basic choice is Windows or Linux both of which are on the resource heavy side for the system spec, or you go for a mobile platform and while I am not very up to date on these Android is the most well known and already has a solid util/games coding base behind it and fewest barriers to home-brew customisation.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its probibly a better choice than a standard linux distro or windows 8 (the arm version). as its a platform designed for relatively low end devices with limited resources. and im sure they can customize the os to do away with parts of it that would be a hinderence to performance while streamlining the critical parts, all while keeping it compatible with the established android sdk.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
that whole article was all rhetoric. how do i know that wasnt written by people from ms, sony, or nintendo (the soc used is several times more powerful than wii)?  it sure as hell sounds like it. but heres the thing, the games industry, as it stands, has stagnated greatly. tripple as turn out the same thing over and over and seldom do anything different. console games cost upwards of $60+, and many titles are exclusive. pc games are just too eager to fall into ms's clutches to get that dreaded games for windows sticker (and forcing us to use 360 gamepads over pc joysticks!), and seldom produce anything creative or original, nobody but indie developers can do that. im not going to touch mobile gaming because thats just not something i do.

now this console is something i would buy. i am not a console gamer, the reason being is consoles block you off from the possibility of doing anything other than playing games. you cant mod, you cant dev, if i owned one, it would just sit there collecting dust. here we have a hack box, you get it, can **** with the hardware, upgrade it add stuff to it plug your hotas into it and play the theoretical arm port of the scp. and all those indie devs out there, doing original and new game ideas, will be able to port their games to it. frankly if this is all it does it will still be better than the likes of sony, ms, and nintendo (to a lesser degree, nintendo dont really have a reputation for being total dicks like the former). thats not even mentioning that the concept is friendly to the valve way of doing things. the tripple a studios are riding on a sinking ship. i say let it sink.

should point out a few things in particular i didnt like about that article. first of all in dissected the kick starter video as if it were a historical documentary. it was not, it was an advertisement to investors. its main job is to get people excited about the console to get more money for the dev costs. there was a whole paragraph ranting about their mockup techniques. which to be fair its part of the process using a wood shop might not have the finesse of the megacorprate way of using multimillion dollar equipment in the prototyping phase. but its still an effective way to produce negative molds for injection molding. it then procedes to constantly overstate the impact of piracy. complete with a mock interview with the head of ea. it rants a lot about how unrealistic the draw of tripple a studios will be. **** EA! AND **** THE OTHER AAA STUDIOS! they are part of the old infrastructure. i dont even buy ea products anymore because of the draconian drm they tend to use, not to mention all their games are franchise rehashes. i have no doubt that the guy who wrote this is a mw3 fanboi, thinks halo is the best thing since sliced bread, and really loves what ms has done to pc gaming.

i cant even finis the article, its just horrible. even if the console flops id still buy one so i could mod the living **** out of it.

tldr: naysayers will say nay. bare metal ftw!
That's the whole point of the article. People hate the current state of the video game industry and so when something like Ouya pops up, everyone gets excited and immediately proclaims it "BEST THING EVUH!" Never mind that they have ABSOLUTELY nothing to show, not even a controller and they want to finish everything in 8 months.

If they wanted to attract proper investors, they're doing a piss poor job of it. All they have is rhetoric, hopes and dreams. Show me something concrete. Have a working prototype? Show to it everyone then! You're an untested startup, not an established MNC. Right now the whole damn thing looks like a scam because it just sounds TOO good.

They aim for an environment that is open as possible for both developers and consumers. What's going to happen is tons of shovelware that make it nigh impossible to differentiate the good from the bad. Look at the Android market and how many developers have actually made it big?

There's also not a single game in development for Ouya. Not one. Why would developers bother with Ouya when they can go with a PC where there's already cheap dev kits and a huge install base? At this rate, Ouya is going to launch without games. Without games, no one will buy it. When no one buys it, no one will make games for it.

I get the sense that the developers are genuine about Ouya. Unfortunately, I think reality is going to come knocking soon.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There's also not a single game in development for Ouya. Not one. Why would developers bother with Ouya when they can go with a PC where there's already cheap dev kits and a huge install base? At this rate, Ouya is going to launch without games. Without games, no one will buy it. When no one buys it, no one will make games for it.
That can be partially averted if most existing Android games can be easily ported to it.

Note that I said "if".

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Wow.  You clearly have no idea how a kickstarter works.  The whole point is that they don't have anything to show for it yet.  They need funds for that.  That's why kickstaters exist.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
That doesn't excuse them yelling on all the roofs that they have a working prototype while so obviously avoiding to show it at all. Kickstarter concept or not, the best way to attract inverters it to prove them the concept works since they already have it.