Author Topic: OUYA, might be awesome  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: OUYA, might be awesome
That's the whole point of the article. People hate the current state of the video game industry and so when something like Ouya pops up, everyone gets excited and immediately proclaims it "BEST THING EVUH!" Never mind that they have ABSOLUTELY nothing to show, not even a controller and they want to finish everything in 8 months.

If they wanted to attract proper investors, they're doing a piss poor job of it. All they have is rhetoric, hopes and dreams. Show me something concrete. Have a working prototype? Show to it everyone then! You're an untested startup, not an established MNC. Right now the whole damn thing looks like a scam because it just sounds TOO good.

They aim for an environment that is open as possible for both developers and consumers. What's going to happen is tons of shovelware that make it nigh impossible to differentiate the good from the bad. Look at the Android market and how many developers have actually made it big?

There's also not a single game in development for Ouya. Not one. Why would developers bother with Ouya when they can go with a PC where there's already cheap dev kits and a huge install base? At this rate, Ouya is going to launch without games. Without games, no one will buy it. When no one buys it, no one will make games for it.

I get the sense that the developers are genuine about Ouya. Unfortunately, I think reality is going to come knocking soon.

of course people hate the current state of things and want something else. to be frank its amazing that people have been so willing to suck on that megalithic ms/sony/ea/etc cock this long. nothings new nothings original, nothings creative. megalithic companies throw millions at making games that suck, and the majority of the gamer zombies out there like the status quo so much they dont notice it when they shove a massive object up their rectum. i want to see return the days of small dev studios with miniscule budgets turning out epic success after epic success.

also hardware design is trivial today. i can design boards on my cheap computer and cut them in my kitchen sink, and populate it with no more than $50 in parts, and have a decent computing platform. people with more money can send their designed to some fab house in china and produce professional grade boards for a few hundred bucks a run. and seriously a controller isnt that hard to produce either. i see people on hack a day constantly turning old consoles into laptops using forms of 3d printing, vacuuforming, laser cutting and all that stuff. if you haven't noticed were in the middle of a home manufacturing craze. 3d printers and laser cutters go for < $1000 now. manufacturing is cheaper than ever. thats peanuts compared to the budget they've raised so far.

things like arduino and raspberry pi are flying of the shelves making people loads of money. an open source console (i doubt that this one is going to be 100% open, but thats irrelevant) isnt to far around the corner. we already have all kinds of retro gaming systems coming out of the open source hardware movement. this is just one more iteration in a long chain of successes where everyone said they would fail each and every time.

That doesn't excuse them yelling on all the roofs that they have a working prototype while so obviously avoiding to show it at all. Kickstarter concept or not, the best way to attract inverters it to prove them the concept works since they already have it.

i dont remember seeing any prototype photos from ms or sony for their consoles.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
The thing about a console prototype is that it's really easy to make one, comparatively.  It's a few weeks of work if you have a guy who is an expert at hardware design.  Beyond that, it's all just optimization (in space, costs, aesthetics, etc.).  The prototype probably looks really ugly as a result of it just being a working example of the hardware.

And why not demonstrate the hardware?  Well, they could stick android on it, I suppose.  But that wouldn't impress anyone, and I doubt they could have gotten much further than that by now.

8 months is really not much time but given that they've been given millions of dollars, I think they can hire the right people and get it done.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Well, technically they won't get millions of dollars until a little over three weeks from now.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
no but they can probably most of that credit with suppliers and fabricators due to the fact that they are over the minimum limit and are thus guaranteed that money so long as the organisation that is Kickstarter dosnt fall flat financially flat on it's face.

edit:

in fact 3 weeks is inside the credit terms most company have with each other anyway.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:24:22 pm by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Obviously not, since those guys don't need a kickstarter to finance their next console, do they. Try to compare things that are comparable.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Obviously not, since those guys don't need a kickstarter to finance their next console, do they. Try to compare things that are comparable.
Indeed just the name is enough in these cases as they are "proven" companies with a proven sales record (we can just gloss over PlayStation nearly bankrupting Sony twice (or was it all three) times), OUYA lacks this advantage so needs a functional prototype to demonstrate to investors to get their interest, even then it's a hit and miss on if they would get any investment from traditional sources as the market is so heavily tied up that frankly even now this will have a very hard time breaking the market.  If they release significantly before the next gen Soni/MS/Nintendo consoles hit the market they have a chance, if not then I dont rate their chances very highly at all.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Indeed just the name is enough in these cases as they are "proven" companies with a proven sales record (we can just gloss over PlayStation nearly bankrupting Sony twice (or was it all three) times), OUYA lacks this advantage so needs a functional prototype to demonstrate to investors to get their interest, even then it's a hit and miss on if they would get any investment from traditional sources as the market is so heavily tied up that frankly even now this will have a very hard time breaking the market.  If they release significantly before the next gen Soni/MS/Nintendo consoles hit the market they have a chance, if not then I dont rate their chances very highly at all.

i was mearely pointing out that electronics prototyping isnt as pretty as you make it out to be. a prototype is usually a mass of jumper wires breadboards and proto-run pcbs which are usually rough and made as cheap as possible because you could go through many of them in the process of hammering out design bugs. these are not made to last, and seldom have any protective silk-screening, with parts hand-soldiered into place (they probibly dont even clean up the soldering flux to save time). and even then showing a prototype is not the same thing as showing a prototype doing something. they might have an ugly mass of electronics running a bootloader and a few lines of text printed to the screen. thats not at all exciting.

of course id like to point out that they did kinda show you the prototypes. case and controller mockups for example. they also show what i think is their mobo, which, assuming its the actual board (it could just be a tegra dev board from nividia), is in a well developed state. it could be their electronics design is in a finalized state and there are software side hold ups. the very fact that they are in the process of mocking up the case and controller seems to also indicate electronics design is mostly complete, it makes little since to design a case when the required dimensions are as of yet undetermined.

as for the controller, thats a trivial project. youre just sampling buttons, pots, and a touch-pad, packetizing it and transmitting it. there are a few ways to do this, and i assume they are just using bluetooth. so electronics there will be some kind of power, an mcu, a bluetooth transciever and the input gizmoes. you are probibly going to put more work into the shell design, which they have seemed to done already.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:55:08 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
That's the whole point of the article. People hate the current state of the video game industry and so when something like Ouya pops up, everyone gets excited and immediately proclaims it "BEST THING EVUH!" Never mind that they have ABSOLUTELY nothing to show, not even a controller and they want to finish everything in 8 months.

If they wanted to attract proper investors, they're doing a piss poor job of it. All they have is rhetoric, hopes and dreams. Show me something concrete. Have a working prototype? Show to it everyone then! You're an untested startup, not an established MNC. Right now the whole damn thing looks like a scam because it just sounds TOO good.

They aim for an environment that is open as possible for both developers and consumers. What's going to happen is tons of shovelware that make it nigh impossible to differentiate the good from the bad. Look at the Android market and how many developers have actually made it big?

There's also not a single game in development for Ouya. Not one. Why would developers bother with Ouya when they can go with a PC where there's already cheap dev kits and a huge install base? At this rate, Ouya is going to launch without games. Without games, no one will buy it. When no one buys it, no one will make games for it.

I get the sense that the developers are genuine about Ouya. Unfortunately, I think reality is going to come knocking soon.

of course people hate the current state of things and want something else. to be frank its amazing that people have been so willing to suck on that megalithic ms/sony/ea/etc cock this long. nothings new nothings original, nothings creative. megalithic companies throw millions at making games that suck, and the majority of the gamer zombies out there like the status quo so much they dont notice it when they shove a massive object up their rectum. i want to see return the days of small dev studios with miniscule budgets turning out epic success after epic success.

also hardware design is trivial today. i can design boards on my cheap computer and cut them in my kitchen sink, and populate it with no more than $50 in parts, and have a decent computing platform. people with more money can send their designed to some fab house in china and produce professional grade boards for a few hundred bucks a run. and seriously a controller isnt that hard to produce either. i see people on hack a day constantly turning old consoles into laptops using forms of 3d printing, vacuuforming, laser cutting and all that stuff. if you haven't noticed were in the middle of a home manufacturing craze. 3d printers and laser cutters go for < $1000 now. manufacturing is cheaper than ever. thats peanuts compared to the budget they've raised so far.

things like arduino and raspberry pi are flying of the shelves making people loads of money. an open source console (i doubt that this one is going to be 100% open, but thats irrelevant) isnt to far around the corner. we already have all kinds of retro gaming systems coming out of the open source hardware movement. this is just one more iteration in a long chain of successes where everyone said they would fail each and every time.

Well take a look at their survey asking people what games they want to see on Ouya.

Skyrim
Need For Speed
Battlefield
Terraria
League of Legends
Super Meat Boy
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Mass Effect
Call Of Duty
Assassin's Creed
Battletoads
Grand Theft Auto
Limbo
Minecraft
Torchlight
Fez
Timesplitter
Bastion
Dungeon Defenders

A good chunk of them are AAA games from the Oh-so-evil EA/MS/Sony/Activision. You understand what Ouya wants to do but the vast majority of people want a 'low-end' console to just play AAA games. None of them are even Android games to even begin with.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i dont even want to play aaa titles on my pc, and i dont want them on ouya either. the true quality of this thing is that it brings indie games to the console. i do not consider the contents of this poll to be anything other than market research. its not a statement saying that all these games will be supported.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
You know what would be awesome for this thing? Olde-schoole RPGs, or RPGs in that vein. A game like Avernum takes very little processing power from sophisticated hardware, delivers hundreds of hours of entertainment, and is well-suited to sitting down and playing for a couple of minutes or hours, and then letting be - very relaxed indeed. Avernum 2 takes up less than 40MB of HD space on my computer as well. :D

...Admittedly, that may be too old-school for the majority of gamers (and Exile is even MOAR old-school...), but something like Genforge could work really, really well on something like this. I'm noting Spiderweb products in paricular here, as I've enjoyed every program of theirs I've tried (as well as owned) to date, and I think those products would port well to this OS. It would be nice to see their company do well because of a platform like this.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I fail to see why the system running Android is even a problem.  I think it's wonderful, actually, because this could be a ticket for many indie devs like myself to dabble into for console development.  Developing for Windows/major desktop Linux distros/OS X gets old after a while.

Another potentially widely available console?  Sounds damn good to me.

(Also, you guys probably already knew this, but Android more or less is a stripped down Linux distribution--it runs on the Linux kernel, anyways)
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Mikes

Skyrim
Need For Speed
Battlefield
Terraria
League of Legends
Super Meat Boy
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Mass Effect
Call Of Duty
Assassin's Creed
Battletoads
Grand Theft Auto
Limbo
Minecraft
Torchlight
Fez
Timesplitter
Bastion
Dungeon Defenders

A good chunk of them are AAA games from the Oh-so-evil EA/MS/Sony/Activision. You understand what Ouya wants to do but the vast majority of people want a 'low-end' console to just play AAA games. None of them are even Android games to even begin with.

Final Fantasy 3 is now one of the most expensive (over 10$) and at the same time most successful (top 4 a while ago) apps in the Android market...

... which is really telling in regards to the quality of the Android "gaming" ecosystem as a whole...  it's pretty much sh*** all over with old (handheld) console/PC ports like FF3 (or GTA3, Minecraft, or even things like GEMRB or SCUMMVM that allow you to run old Bioware and Lucasarts titles) literally outclassing every single new/recent game that has been specifically developped for the platform, in both quality and depth... by lightyears.

So even if every Android game runs on the Ouya, the games available are still rather ****ty even when compared to the games that are available for current mobile gaming systems like the 3DS/old gameboy.
Furthermore... about half of the games on Android already look ****ty on a Tablet because the texture resolution/graphics have too little detail and/or even appear quite horribly pixelated on a tablet sized screen.... and those guys want to put those graphics on a TV? right...

Finally... the few "good" games that are available are pretty much all ports that often work better/are more enjoyable on their original platform.
(With a few exceptions... the above mentioned FF3 for instance, does work really nice on Android.)

The only thing it has going for it really, as mentioned, is that it is cheap enough to qualify as a novelty / impulse buy. - that is... if they manage to actually produce working units in the promised numbers.

In summary: It's really hard to imagine a product with more issues and shortcomings and even less of a viable niche than the OUYA...  consequently... in todays technology market, it will propably turn out to be a great success, most likely due to it's shiny exterior and controller.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 05:43:12 am by Mikes »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Personally, I don't know who would want to sit down for hours at a time to play a game on a cell phone... maybe a tablet could be more fun, but still. When you sell a product for 5 to 10 dollars, the product more often than not reflects its cost, wether it be a new game that's a pile of rubbish or an old game that the company can't effectively sell for use on modern systems anymore. Something like OUYA changes this dynamic, because there's now a much greater incentive to produce a quality product that people will buy.

...And tell me, if a product is good, why would I not want to port it to another platform if it will attract customers? The next thing is obvious - people love abandonware and old games oft as much as they do new ones. I think your argument could use a little work.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Fuuuucking thiiisssss a thousand times over.

Skyrim
Need For Speed
Battlefield
Terraria
League of Legends
Super Meat Boy
FIFA
Final Fantasy
Mass Effect
Call Of Duty
Assassin's Creed
Battletoads <-- lol 4chan
Grand Theft Auto
Limbo
Minecraft
Torchlight
Fez
Timesplitter
Bastion
Dungeon Defenders
How the **** do you even play league of legends on anything that is not a mouse and keyboard?
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mikes

...And tell me, if a product is good, why would I not want to port it to another platform if it will attract customers

Many of the major publisher and surprisingly even some indie developers are still scared sh**less about piracy on any open platform that is not buried to its neck in DRM.

Just saying. ;)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
...And tell me, if a product is good, why would I not want to port it to another platform if it will attract customers

Many of the major publisher and surprisingly even some indie developers are still scared sh**less about piracy on any open platform that is not buried to its neck in DRM.

Just saying. ;)

everyone is going to have issues with piracy. of course if you drop the price of games to < $15 it becomes less likely because its more of an impulse buy than an investment. people spend that kind of money without thinking anymore. you might pirate that $70 title that doesn't even have a demo option because you dont want to get ripped off. with call home license verification schemes that seem popular these days (i bet all next gen consoles will have this), i very much doubt piracy will be a concern. it will happen, people will hack **** and make it possible, but a much larger number of people would just forgo the hassle of piracy when a game only costs $10 to begin with.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it runs on... Android.

Wtf why not just go with a non-mobile phone linux distro?

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
The only problem I'm seeing with this is that it runs on... Android.

Wtf why not just go with a non-mobile phone linux distro?

Implying Android is only purposed for running on mobile phones.  Just like Windows, right?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
How the **** do you even play league of legends on anything that is not a mouse and keyboard?

A very good question.  Maybe it'll be possible to use a mouse and keyboard with the OUYA?

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
it has one USB 2.0 port so perhaps you could plug in one of those Mouse/Keyboard wireless hub things?