Author Topic: Gaming heaven vs hell  (Read 10273 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
ERm...Obisian? Bioware appearing twice? Hrm... herm.....NO
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Looks pretty accurate to me!

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
In Hell, it's published by EA.  In Heaven, it's published by... well, there aren't any really *good* publishers out there, right?
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In Hell, it's published by EA.  In Heaven, it's published by... well, there aren't any really *good* publishers out there, right?

You're like running a decade behind the times. Riccitiello-era EA is pretty good. In hell it's published by Activision.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I dunno, EA and DRM...
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I dunno, EA and DRM...

Ubisoft's the one you want to ***** about re: DRM.

Yeah, EA has really pulled an about-face when it comes to DRM on games.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline mxlm

Obsidian's QA is nowhere near as bad as its rep.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

I don't know, the Radscorpions tilted crazily into the ground seem to agree with this.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure there are people with far worse QA out there. Matrix Games comes to mind.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq

I don't know, the Radscorpions tilted crazily into the ground seem to agree with this.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure there are people with far worse QA out there. Matrix Games comes to mind.
It's actually mostly because of the ****ty engine the game runs on, but yeah more could have been done

It's odd though, I haven't been getting any actual bugs besides maybe one ant through the ground and one bugged quest in over 60 hours of gameplay and only maybe 2 crashes. That's far better than post patches FO3.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Bioware dialouge is excellent.

Obsidian stories? Why exactly are they so fabolous? Meh.

Hmm...does "creating a setting" fall under "story" or is it a separate category?

Also, cutscenes in heaven are created by BLUR.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
The dialog is written by Bioware in the Heaven version and in the Hell version by... Bioware?
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Have you never played the second KotOR game?  The one that questioned all of the established facts about the Sith, Jedi, and the Force?  The storyline is excellent, and the game would have been far better if LucasArts, the publisher and damn them, hadn't forced it to be released early for the Christmas market with poor QA and lots of cut content.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Bioware dialouge is excellent.

The whole joke is that Bioware dialogue is both excellent and terrible.

Planescape Torment and Fallout 1/2 ring any bells?

Also, cutscenes in heaven are created by BLUR.

I've never actually been a big fan of Blur. They seem to have a cookie-cutter formula and their rendering is pretty uncanny.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Before Trashman asks what Obsidian has anything to do with Fallout 1 and 2, I'd like to mention how most Black Isle team members moved on to Obsidian.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline mxlm

And, what, that never happened in FO3?

If we're comparing bugs, I certainly crashed more in 3 than NV. And I was playing the fully patched, GotY edition.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

If we're comparing bugs, I certainly crashed more in 3 than NV. And I was playing the fully patched, GotY edition.

I shot a Deathclaw once with the Blackhawk and it subsequently launched heavenward.  The best was it was the first shot in a VATS combo so my character tracked and fired during it's ascent like a radar guided AAA mount.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Hell should be the dialog is written by Bethesda :p

"I saw a radscorpion the other day, terrible creature."
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Actually, it didn't. Nor did I get stuck inside terrain. Nor did the climax of the second mission sequence you encounter spawn enemies that could not be interacted with and require a restart. Comparing the console versions NV was definitely shipped with more problems.

I'd actually feel better if NV just outright crashed like FO3 did a few times instead of playing on in a seriously glitched fashion.

I'm not hating on Obsidian, I've played games from companies that suck far worse; UFO Extraterrestrials in the version Matrix Games was bandying about wasn't even properly spellchecked and SP:WaW has a persistent bug that renders artillery and airstrikes unusable. I just think their reputation is deserved. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story