Author Topic: Bad review(er)s. SPLIT FROM: Where Have You Seen Diaspora Mentioned?  (Read 8554 times)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: Re: Where Have You Seen Diaspora Mentioned?
I'm still blowing them up. There's such thing as Extended Edition you know. And a sequel. And prequels.

...and eventual reboot
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline eps200

With infinite manpower and time the big changes I think a few of us would want to do based on the feedback is revamp the old GUI and make the control configs idiot proof:
i.e. FS type options buried one more menu down but have in the pretty new GUI three defaults:
Keyboard mouse
Joystick
Gamepad

Then spend a bunch of time optimizing the three separate default control configs for players.

So... *cough* scripters and 2d artists... find us... *cough*

This IMO was my only real gripe. I used to be on the team for eternal silence which is a space sim/ fps hybrid on the source engine because of that our controls were all K+M with the joysick being a niche option I can go grab up all our conclusions/fails if it would be helpful in making a nice set of defaults. Main thing is keeping qwer and asdf clear for flying thankfully you don't need to squeeze in a "get out of ship" button.
(yeah my literacy is **** please just ignore my posts if it bothers you)

Offline Cerebus

A and D for roll.  W and S for throttle.  Q and E for target enemy and target reticule.  Tab for afterburners and space for glide when pressed.  The default settings had to go.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Fly with numpad erryday

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Re: Bad review(er)s. SPLIT FROM: Where Have You Seen Diaspora Mentioned?
I always think some people have ''hide and not clear'' intentions making a review or a comment  pretty negative without testing the game.

In the MTBS 3d forums they have an Oculus rift thread, where some people criticizes Palmer (the Rift creator) continously....than he discover that their IP address cames from a competitor company Light years far away from what Palmer is doing.

I think that could explain pretty much everything...maybe is not the same thing, but people can't admit that Diaspora is an High level product...especially you think is a freeware game. it should not to be perfect, but a lot of commercial games sucks 1000 times than this IMO.

In italy we say: make yourself a question and give yourself the answer :P
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline Cerebus

I bet bigpoint and the BSG online team are going around trashing the game lol 

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I bet bigpoint and the BSG online team are going around trashing the game lol

I doubt that.
In case you don't know, our art department did some models for Bigpoint a while back.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. Our point of view was that BSGO and Diaspora are completely different styles of game.

All the huge publicity around Diaspora has shown is that perhaps there is a market for a space shooter after all, despite the large assumption that there isn't.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Exactly. Our point of view was that BSGO and Diaspora are completely different styles of game.

All the huge publicity around Diaspora has shown is that perhaps there is a market for a space shooter after all, despite the large assumption that there isn't.

certainly the number of critic comments that Diaspora is the game that BSG fans have been waiting for in terms of quality and play style would support that
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Oh I agree, but I'd probably play the hell out of a good standalone BSG RTS too. And there's no reason I'd see one of those as competition for Diaspora.

Offline Cerebus

I believe there's a sins of the solar empire mod, but it didn't impress me last I looked...I'll have to give it another look see

I'm a level 4X in BSG:Online, I play because it's the first game I've been able to get my wife to play with me, and I've actually got a small wing that lans, so I'm familiar, and yeah, it's a very different market. 

That being said, the pay 2 play model doesn't pay off in the slightest.  In my opinion the game is abhorent and cheaply done.  They (bigpoint) seem to be sucking what they can of the BSG license (because no one would pay to play it otherwise) without any intent on building a lasting community.  They seem to be cashing out and the scuttlebut is that Universal isn't happy about it.  They've got some new project manager (I think the last was relieved) and they've been throwing loot at the players going sorry sorry, trying to keep people playing, as Universal is thinking about pulling the license or such.   I know they could do much better.

You did. 

their model should have been EVE from the start, I dont know wtf they were thinking.  MMO, not some cheap browser pay 2 play
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:18:51 pm by Cerebus »

Offline newman

If I was in Univeral's shoes and looking at making another BSG game, I wouldn't go for a MMO again; there are universes that lend themselves better to that game type. There is a lot of untapped potential here and I just know BSG fans would love to experience the BSG universe from a perspective of a colonial marine, fighting centurions, or from the viewpoint of a colonial commander, managing and commanding his battlestar group from the CIC, sort of bridge commander like only more complex and better executed. Hell, maybe even a RPG - with 12 colonies and three periods (first cylon war, second war and the period in between) there's a lot of potential game settings there.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
http://techreport.com/news/23535/diaspora-offers-battlestar-galactica-space-combat-for-free

I find the comment that the graphics are underwhelming a bit surprising but... *shrug*
it's just this one site on the entire internet right?
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We got a few negative comments from other sites too, but mostly the feedback was hugely positive with the main drawbacks being those we've started trying to fix already (poor default control config, lack of multiplayer, etc).

Offline Cerebus

1. mix diaspora with planet side

2. profit

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Congratulations, you just missed the entire point of Battlestar Galactica.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cerebus

congratulations, you seem to be stuck inside a box

a persistent large scale war is the main idea of planetside, that's what I meant. 

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
i think Cobra is talking about step 2.
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline lavish

...poor default control config...).
The control config is somewhat messy, though I can live with it. I would, however, at least recommend to clean it up and remove any unused commands, unless it's really possible to augment forward shields in the game.  ;)

Offline eps200

A and D for roll.  W and S for throttle.  Q and E for target enemy and target reticule.  Tab for afterburners and space for glide when pressed.  The default settings had to go.
Went with something like this but most players had Q and E as roll or thrust left thrust right. Shift as afterburner as FPS tend to put sprint there, r and f as thrust up and down .
Cycling targets was on the scroll wheel with mouse 3 target in reticle.

(yeah my literacy is **** please just ignore my posts if it bothers you)