Author Topic: Dev blog comments thread  (Read 35328 times)

Offline Demitri

Re: Dev blog comments thread
That is some exceptional work ppl! Couple of questions tho. What is a Dreadstar? Also, is the Battlestar Theseus a Galactica type battlestar, or one of the newer variants, ie Pegasus? I'm not to sure of the different classes of battlestar so pls forgive my ignorance as that is as about descriptive as i can get.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Shade

Theseus belongs to neither of those classes. Timeline-wise, it is supposed to be a newer class than Galactica but older than Pegasus, and the design reflects that.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That is some exceptional work ppl! Couple of questions tho. What is a Dreadstar? Also, is the Battlestar Theseus a Galactica type battlestar, or one of the newer variants, ie Pegasus? I'm not to sure of the different classes of battlestar so pls forgive my ignorance as that is as about descriptive as i can get.

And the dreadstar is presumably bigger than a battlestar.

Offline Demitri

I was thinking along those lines as well, and the name kind of implies that, but i thought that the Battlestars where supposed to be the biggest ships in the colonial fleet?
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Theseus belongs to neither of those classes. Timeline-wise, it is supposed to be a newer class than Galactica but older than Pegasus, and the design reflects that.

For development related reasons we were unable to use a canon ship for R1 and so instead decided to make our own.  

Like I said I only mentioned it cause some people remember it from the BtRL website. Since I can't show that picture here if you don't remember it, you'll have to wait. :)

It's not just a more massive battlestar though. I've never been a fan of that sort of one-one-upmanship. Pegasus is likely to remain the real beast of our fleet for a while.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Meleardil

• Meleardil Eressea Iluvadan
Apparently Meleardil says it's so bad he'll refused us permission to use it in Shattered Armistice until it's been re-textured properly.

The model is not finished. There are many missing things and few inaccuracies. The texture is simply an orthogonal Zoic render put on the basestar mesh as a planar map. It does not even fit on many places, there are horrible misalignments and stretches. It looks good when you view it close to the top-bottom axes, because that is the normal of the planar map. But if you look from the sides, and check the detailed sections, you will find really ugly places. It looks good from the distance ONLY because I spent few hours to paint hundreds of tiny lights on a 4096x4096 glowmap, so you have the illusion that it is huge and very detailed. But it is all fake, built for screenshots, but you are not supposed to fly too close!

So, this is a placeholder which shall not be released under any circumstances. :P
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:16:34 am by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Shade

It actually looks fine up-close. Trouble is the thing is bloody inefficient and not exactly an airtight mesh either :p This is the case with many of the placeholders in fact - They may look stunning, but they're likely to be missing LODs or be using a ridiculously large texture as optimization isn't really worth the time when all you want it to get *a* model in-game so you can start making missions.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Meleardil

Yeah...I did not really spend time to clear the mesh before conversion. Actually I already converted 80% of the fleet, but mission design could not start without Cylon capital ship. So we kicked Brand-X very hard to create a mesh, which he did within 2 days, and I put the planer map on it on the next night. This basestar is a 3 day work: the map is an inefficient, redundant stretchy planar map, and the mesh is mostly just visual, because you can fly through it at many places. Definitely need a rebuild and some decent texture work, which I am not capable of (just look at my pitiful naked meshes!).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 10:21:47 am by Meleardil »
"I think it is impossible to really understand somebody, what they want, what they believe, and not love them the way they love themselves."
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Awesome Fleet, can't wait to blow it up! :yes: :p

Offline Deckard

• DECK-A-R&D
Wowf!... Droofling againf... wellf.. Hopef that you guyf releafe thef R1 soonf or I'll havef to visitf the nearest hospitalf because a dehydratation'sf caseff... :D
-------------------------------
Deckard a.k.a The Silencer

Offline Shade

I recommend an intravenous fluid drip just to be on the safe side. We'd hate to lose anyone before we even get a release out :p

Offline Ramjet

See... now this is what I like in a dev team.... WORK!.... lol nah seriously, updates! is it really that hard to keep a fan base thats so understanding happy? No, throw us a bone every few days/weeks... and we're as faithful and loyal as labrador and a owner with a big juicy stake! hmmmm stake... yummy... *drools*

anyway, wow! at pretty much everything thats thrown to our sticky fingers to look and drool at.

So whats the concensus.... reckon I'll have a little R1 in my xmas stocking over my holidays? Coz these screenies got me hornier than a teenager at a playboy mansion party! Since I did go and by a Saitek X52 Pro for the BtRL demo (worked pretty good too) and haven't touched it since  :(

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Sorry to spoil your fun, but no, R1 wont be out by christmas.

I've probably said this before somewhere, but R1 likely requires a lot more work than any other release that comes after. Everything has to be built from ground up.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yep. If there was any chance it would be out in time we'd probably not say anything but there is still far too much to be done at the moment for it ever to come out by Christmas.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
New Years?  :lol:
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hmmmmm. Looks like BtRL have taken down several videos on YouTube so I'd better unlink them or it will look like I'm claiming that much of the remaining content is ours. :D

Post edited.

EDIT  :  Added most of this stuff to the ModDB page too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:12:11 am by karajorma »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Stunning pictures, now I love the Bolitho even more.

Question on the basestar, it looks like it has one of those red moving Cylon lights? I'm not complaining, but I never saw something like that in the show.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's a joke on Meleardil's part. It won't be in the final version. :)

Offline Meleardil

I thought it would be fun to make the Basestar "look around". :P Also, it was an attempt from me to ensure, this primitive texture wont be confused with a properly unwrapped version.
Speaker for the Dead

Offline Ramjet

How cool would it be to leave a funny texture in there for an easter egg suprise... perhaps a basestar with the tracing red eye and the voice of KITT. That'd be hilarious, a transforming basestar with a PHD in physics and psychology....

No pressure guys, I'm loving the updates... regular ones at that too... it's like a big happy family :)