Author Topic: Cheops renovation  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
So my priority here was cleaning up the geometry and getting all the textures onto one UV map. Not my best high-poly model by a long shot. Part of it is that I'm unhappy with textures I paint myself, and part of it is that I can't get a good UV map of the asteroid that's seamless. Whatever I do to it seems to make it worse, so here it is. If someone wants to take another crack at the Cheops in the future, starting from scratch, they're more than welcome to.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Looks spiffy enough to my amateurish eyes, anyway. :)

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
What's the size of that installation?
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I think that the dome parts and the circular opening in the bottom should be circular and smoothed out some, but it looks pretty good so far.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Solatar

Not a perfect 10 of HTL-models, but it's quite an improvement from the original model (that looks very dated).

I kind of like it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I think that the dome parts and the circular opening in the bottom should be circular and smoothed out some, but it looks pretty good so far.

I compromised between the low-poly hexagon and high-poly roundness by having the outside edges and caps hexagonal, and the inside glowing surfaces cylindrical, with transition surfaces between.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...