Author Topic: Need CVS help  (Read 1927 times)

Offline RandomTiger

Hello, Im using CVS 1.11.2 on XP and Im trying to create my own repository. I've tryed starting from scratch and using import and everything goes Ok until I try to commit.

cvs [commit aborted]: your apparent username (Tom) is unknown to this system

Its so strange, my username is Tom and if I do a annotate the files are all marked as Tom on the left.

CAn anyone help?

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
It depends on how your cvs server is set up... you shouldn't get this message if there is no server (ie you're building a cvs repository on your local system).  If you are trying to create a repository on the local disk, make sure your CVSROOT is set correctly and is not pointing to a server.

I'm a little wooly on the details of setting up users and permissions and so forth on a cvs server -- I can do it when I have to, but I couldn't recite the steps.  I think the easiest way to do it would be to create a login account for yourself (tom) on your server.

Your best bet would be to read the cvs documentation, check out http://www.cvshome.org -- there's a section on setting up a server, but unless you've got sysadmin experience, be careful...
your source code slave

Offline RandomTiger

Its all local, I've been looking through the docs all day. I've even done it before with help from a friend. Not sure whats going on, Im starting to suspect it my be a bug.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
make sure your CVSROOT variable is set to a local directory, e.g., /usr/local/cvsroot

When you're importing, if you don't have CVSROOT set, do it in the command line:

cvs -d /usr/local/cvsroot import repository tag1 tag2

this is from memory, I don't have the CVS docs handy.  I think you need to specify two tags for some reason when you're importing
your source code slave

Offline RandomTiger

Looks like it was a bug. I've reverted back to a previous version of cvs and it seems to work. God damn it, thats wasted two days and really annoyed me. I even tryed Source Safe but it didnt make too much sence so I abandoned that.

I assume that PC user dont have any problems checking in for the remote fs2_open with the provided version of cvs?

Offline Inquisitor

None that I am aware of, except, occasionally I lose the write access list (but I have a backup, so, it's a quick fix)
No signature.