Author Topic: Dawn of War III  (Read 5285 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

An Announcement happened
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Hahaha. I was just about to open a new thread about it but you beat me to it :lol:

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

OK, so that happened.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:01:55 pm by Kobrar44 »
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Well, that trailer told me basically nothing about the game.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

Thats not new

"Bases are back" :(  - "pick 3 elites before the match" :)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Bases being back is excellent news.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Mikes

Actually it did. I.e.: There's bigger stuff than Dreadnoughts now ;-)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Told me wear casualties go after the game stops rendering them  :blah:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Told me wear casualties go after the game stops rendering them  :blah:

...well, you're right.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline 0rph3u5

Bases being back is excellent news.

I never felt that static  bases added much to the RTS after I played Ground Control;  Its an arbitrarry means to facilitate the difference between techology tier (stronger untis basically) but is not better than any other means like escalation points for destroyed units or objective captured time. But most of all it did not gel well with the DoW style where ressources were gained by battlefield control whcih encouraged mobility and expansion with units across the map

but this denate is as old as DoW2 so for the saving space and nerves: Agree to disagree?

==================

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Not that we're asking supreme commander levels of giantness, I'd love to see the addition of lower tier titans, integration of air strikes, etc and a few other things found in DoW mods and actual codex material. Pity, I want my treads and flashlight brigades.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline Snarks

I never felt that static  bases added much to the RTS after I played Ground Control;  Its an arbitrarry means to facilitate the difference between techology tier (stronger untis basically) but is not better than any other means like escalation points for destroyed units or objective captured time. But most of all it did not gel well with the DoW style where ressources were gained by battlefield control whcih encouraged mobility and expansion with units across the map

but this denate is as old as DoW2 so for the saving space and nerves: Agree to disagree?

Base building is an important mechanic if it's actually done properly. Relic RTS were very poor games for base building because you rarely interacted with them, other than as a technology marker. In this sense, you could have a single structure that simply keeps track of your technology progress, which is what DoW2 ultimately ended up doing. (Previous games like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 1 had this issue).

In other RTS games like Starcraft or Supreme Commander, base building does more than act as a technology marker. Your strategy and unit composition depended on what structures and how many of that structure you had built. Furthermore, you are encouraged to set up new bases to collect more resources. This creates a kind of dynamic battlefield where your opponent might fight over a different region of the map than he would otherwise. In Relic RTS, the focal points tend to be the same because the resource/VP points are always in the same spots.

If DoW3 is a larger scale game, I can see base building being an important element. In DoW2, you reacted to your opponent with your own mobile forces. In a larger scale, having defensive structures might be warranted because you cannot react as quickly, and so investing resources in holding ground might be a mechanic that could benefit the game.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Hey man, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally would have skipped DoW2 completely if Spardason didn't gifted it to me. And even then, I found the campaign incredibly boring and devoid of strategy. The 4 heroes in the arena against waves of enemies was the most fun I had with it.
But imo, that makes for a poor RTS.

So for me, hearing base building is back, is excellent news.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline 0rph3u5

everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally would have skipped DoW2 completely if Spardason didn't gifted it to me. And even then, I found the campaign incredibly boring and devoid of strategy. The 4 heroes in the arena against waves of enemies was the most fun I had with it.

My apprication is more build on the MP, my brother and I were a inseperable team before he got his job :D (Techmarine/Waaghboss and Warlock/Sorcerer FTW!)

The SP really was to RTS that what CoD is to FPS IMO (cheap, overly focused on spectable and disposable)

Base building is an important mechanic if it's actually done properly. Relic RTS were very poor games for base building because you rarely interacted with them, other than as a technology marker. In this sense, you could have a single structure that simply keeps track of your technology progress, which is what DoW2 ultimately ended up doing. (Previous games like Company of Heroes or Dawn of War 1 had this issue).

In other RTS games like Starcraft or Supreme Commander, base building does more than act as a technology marker. Your strategy and unit composition depended on what structures and how many of that structure you had built. Furthermore, you are encouraged to set up new bases to collect more resources. This creates a kind of dynamic battlefield where your opponent might fight over a different region of the map than he would otherwise. In Relic RTS, the focal points tend to be the same because the resource/VP points are always in the same spots.

Force composition is a vital part of strategy but it is not the only part, and most RTS entires don't rely on one I would consider a more improtant aspect of a successfully strategy: Force Conservation (SuCom is esspecially a offender against that one). And if Force Conservation takes the forefront then an the emerging Force Composition you get from base building is not that important anymore, because if you treat your units as non-disposable you will have to think hard about their viability for all your maneuvers from the start.
And while it locks you into your strategy from the first unit you pick, it also forces you to diversify your protfolio instead of just spamming. (or you have to make up for in another way, e.g. in DoW2 Eldar were masters of early vehicle/anti-vehicle access because their tier 1s hardly measured up, unless you were really really good, and then rather spend their early ressources in building the team's economy. That's also why Chaos got the Bloodcrusher, so s.o. else had early vehilce access)

Again: Different axioms, which make different opinions. Agree to disagree?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:16:08 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
This looks interesting. Addition of the Imperial Knight really does seem to herald a serious increase in scale. The article referred to it as a "super-unit", meaning it will probably be the largest one available, though.

I wish 40K got more attention on the FPS front, as well. So far, we've had Space Marine (well, a TPS) and Fire Warrior. I think that a Mechwarrior-style game based around Titan legions could be the most Epic thing ever (obscure pun intended). :)

Offline Aesaar

I want Wargame: 40k.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I want Wargame: 40k.

Wargame: 40k would be a hard sell, though; it'd almost have to move away from the tabletop balance so you'd end up with Movie Marines, IG infantry made of tissue paper, Titan-scale units are unstoppable...

That said Wargame is definitely the platform to play Space Marines as the rapid strike and high mobility force they are supposed to be.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam

I am still sad there will be no Titans, but mildly interested.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/