Author Topic: Freespace's legacy lives on...  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Freespace's legacy lives on...
... in random games that nobody even cares about.  Take a look at this screenshot of Tarr Chronicles.

Notice any, uhh, similarities with that interface?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace's legacy lives on...
You mean from the obvious hud that is FreeSpace ripped and changed abit, no. :blah:
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
So...sort of like how FreeSpace's interface was basically ripped from TIE Fighter and Wing Commander?

I see what you guys mean by the curvy bit on the HUD but that seems like a pretty subtle thing given the context.  Its just a good interface.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
BTW were can I find that for download?The Russian's demo is hard to figure out.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

When is this game coming out? It looks pretty good. of course, it'll suck if the story is bad

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
When is this game coming out? It looks pretty good. of course, it'll suck if the story is bad

September.

And not this again, FS wasnt ripped off. :rolleyes:

... in random games that nobody even cares about. 

And people do care about, there was two whole threads here just about this game.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
id like to see more innovation as far as huds in space sims go. i dont like seeing the hud unchanged from what we had about 10 years ago.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Then make one already.  :p  There's only so much you can do, y'know.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im working on it, very slowly, and a mod and a bunch of other scripts. id say my plate is rather full :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Been hearing about this for a while, I hope it isn't as much of a dissapointment as Starforce: Rogue Universe was though. Maybe it was something to do with naming after a crappy copy-protection system....

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Everyone in this community seems to think that every new space game is ripping X, Y, and Z from FS2. It's probable that a bunch of the developers never even heard of FS2, just because it looks similar doesn't mean it's ripped - that HUD looks quite different than FS2, other than the curvy bits.

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
I just think that a lot of people on here think that FS2 was something totally original, and nobody had ever seen what was done in it before.  While FS was amazing, absolutely amazing (I wouldn't be here if it wasn't) most everything you see in it had been done before.  Play some old space sims pre-FS and you'll see what I mean.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
... in random games that nobody even cares about...

Tarr fans would say the same to FS.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
... in random games that nobody even cares about...

Tarr fans would say the same to FS.
But Tarr fans are wankers, everybody knows that.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I just think that a lot of people on here think that FS2 was something totally original, and nobody had ever seen what was done in it before.  While FS was amazing, absolutely amazing (I wouldn't be here if it wasn't) most everything you see in it had been done before.  Play some old space sims pre-FS and you'll see what I mean.

Well said!
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Some quotes from GameSpot on Tarr Chronicles:

We played through an early part of Tarr Chronicles, and it adheres closely to the model established by classic games in the genre, such as Wing Commander and Freespace, right down to the style of the mission briefings.

Like old-fashioned space sims, such as Freespace or TIE Fighter, Tarr Chronicles is all about climbing into a nimble space fighter and dogfighting it amongst the stars.

And from a user there:

I hope this plays a lot like Freespace 2...the best Space Sim ever.

There are a lot more comments like those on the site.  Looks like we're not quite as forgotten as some people thought.  They might have even put in some of those FS2 similarities as a little nod to the game.
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To be honest as one the most critically acclaimed games in the genre it would be rather remiss of the creators of Tarr not to have played Freespace.

As for the HUD looking the same, yes it does. And it looks a lot more like the FS2 HUD than the other games mentioned on this thread. But the fact is that Freespace actually had very little innovation in it. Freespace was the distilling of everything that was good in the space shooter genre. The reason we all like FS so much is not because it did something new but because it did something that lots of companies had done before, but better.

So even if Tarr is copying FS2 as long as it's good I couldn't give a damn. It's simply doing the same thing Freespace did.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Yep, no point to reinvent the wheel here.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Wonder if this game will supplant FS2 Open...

Doubt it if those screen shots are the best the game can do

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Also worth mentioning that the reason FreeSpace is so good is not because it was original (because it wasn't) but because it did everything as well as or better than the games that share the genre with it.  When I first visited Volition Inc back many years ago I asked Adam Pletcher (one of the guys behind the original FreeSpace concept) what his goal was when he started out with the project and his answer was along the lines of wanting the make a game that was a bit like Wing Commander and TIE Fighter (and a few others) but better and obviously with a slightly different vision overall.

FreeSpace did big capital ships when everyone else had tiny ones. Most of all FreeSpace was arguably as complex as TIE Fighter but as fast paced as Wing Commander and mixing the best control schemes of both.

A while back the RPG genre was dead and gone and nobody was making RPG styled games.  Now they are back and with a vengeance....I think its only a matter of time before one of the big space combat games comes back in its proper full out form.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."