Author Topic: Japanese Localization Patch for FreeSpace 2 is released  (Read 20501 times)

Re: Japanese Localization Patch fer FreeSpace 2 is released
I'm blocking access from some ISPs to avoid spam edit of the Wiki. Maybe it is blocking you.
Please PM me your IP addy, I may be able to allow you.
FreeSpace 2 Japanese Localization Project Lead
http://stardogs.netgamers.jp/

2009-09-22: New version released!
New version released! (both EXE and source code)

- Fixed a but that causes crash to desktop on Vista (Japanese EXE).
- Upgraded explosion effects for big ships.
- Additional effect when beam is penetrating an object.
- Small explosions are now generated for laser impact on hull.
- Weapon impact against big ships now randomly generates larger explosions than standard impact effects. This simulates explosions of ship's surface. Less hull strength of a ship results in more frequent generation of larger explosions.
- Explosions of bombs are now bigger than before.
- Spark particles are now motion blurred.
- A fix to prohibit that far missile trails are rendered as dashed line.
- Some misc adjustments of visual effects.

Effects are now much better! Now I have done almost everything I wanted to do for effect upgrade  :D
I will post a movie later.

Re: Japanese Localization Patch for FreeSpace 2 is released
A note about source code:

This code can generate 4 different versions:
- Standard English version
- Effect upgraded English version
- Standard Japanese version
- Effect upgraded Japanese version

Thus, it is relatively easy to find changes between original source codes and modified codes:

Grep AFX_TARG_JPN for Japanese localization changes
Grep KOMET_EXT for visual effect changes

Also, some more comments are added in source codes to help understanding of my changes.
I hope that someone can marge my effect changes into SCP.

Re: 2009-09-22: New version released!
A gameplay clip of Mission 1-04: "A Lion at the Door" on new version!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH-ZQd6vwzI

Some screen shots:
http://stardogs.netgamers.jp/bbs_main/starbbs.cgi?mode=thr&no=1090
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:08:24 am by Komet Jpn »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Nice new effects!  :eek2:
Sugoi sugoi  :P
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
A note about source code:

This code can generate 4 different versions:
- Standard English version
- Effect upgraded English version
- Standard Japanese version
- Effect upgraded Japanese version

Thus, it is relatively easy to find changes between original source codes and modified codes:

Grep AFX_TARG_JPN for Japanese localization changes
Grep KOMET_EXT for visual effect changes

Also, some more comments are added in source codes to help understanding of my changes.
I hope that someone can marge my effect changes into SCP.
Tags are very helpful, thank you. Can't really say anything about the Japanese localization (havent yet taken a look at it) but at least some of the visual effect changes seem readily portable.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
- Small explosions are now generated for laser impact on hull.
- Weapon impact against big ships now randomly generates larger explosions than standard impact effects. This simulates explosions of ship's surface. Less hull strength of a ship results in more frequent generation of larger explosions.
Awesome!  This is one step closer to what I was requesting here:  http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=63435.0
And the bigger explosions becoming more frequent as damage piles up is a great touch too.  That and the beam impact effects look very cool in the video you posted. :yes:  Can't wait for some of this stuff to get into trunk.

It was implemented before the latest build, but on my EXE, there is another effect difference between shield hit and hull hit, in addition to random explosion radius magnifying for hull hit:

- Shield hit: No sparks are generated
- Hull hit: Sparks are generated

I read your thread and you are talking about Star Wars Conversion.

In original trilogy of SW, laser hull impact effects consist of full of sparks. So I think that it is possible to create impact effects that look very similar to the SW movies with my approach, of course with further coding adjustments and ability to
customize it for MODs.

Some notes to marge my effects into SCP:

In my source code, it magnifies basic radius of weapon impact explosions, in addition to random magnifying (to simulate explosion of ship's surface).

About random magnifying (to simulate explosion of ship's surface), it is no problem to be hard coded.

However, magnifying of basic radius by hard cording is not a good way, especially for MODs. It should be done by modifying weapon tbl file instead of hard coding in source code. Also, I gave long lifetime for bomb explosions by hard coding, this is also not good. Lifetime of impact explosions should be written on weapon tbl file, as optional param.

You should also consider about impact flash textures. I did selection of flash textures in dirty way. But it should be set by weapon tbl file as optional param.

Nice work Komet Jpn. I like the additional gunsight/pipper; it's close to what modern day fighter pilots have displayed on their HUDs when using a cannon.

Actually, modern US fighters use something that is more like a moving funnel rather than the "top gun" crosshairs you see in the video.  Now, don't get me wrong, they do have a gunsight that is simliar that has an outer circle which changes depending on range but typically the funnel is far more intuitive to use once you get used to it.  You simply match the fighter's wingtips to each side of the funnel to determine the proper lead.

Offline gavilatius

• kicking butt... gradius style
arigato gozaima****a!

now i can show my japanese friends freespace!

*if you can translate that to korean...  starcraft is toast.
any one beat the last boss yet?

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
It is not based on SCP and implementation is somewhat dirty, and there seems to be compatibility issue on Vista, but you can play full FS2 single missions on Japanese language. GoG version FS2 is supported.

actually I don't really understand... what did they do to it, translate it to japanese? As in I don't get it it says its NOT running SCP...?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
KometJPN used the freely available original sourcecode  (The one released by Volition back in the day) to hack in support for UTF fonts, UTF text tables, and a few custom effects.
He then used these abilities and translated the in-game text to japanese. Epic achievement if there ever was one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

KometJPN used the freely available original sourcecode  (The one released by Volition back in the day) to hack in support for UTF fonts, UTF text tables, and a few custom effects.
He then used these abilities and translated the in-game text to japanese. Epic achievement if there ever was one.

Saddly, it does not currently support UTF. It is currently based on Shift-JIS.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well, the translating of THE ENTIRE TEXT OF THE GAME is fairly impressive in it's own right, even if the coding side of it could have been done better.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IronForge

Sorry but ut..w.hat? sorry I'm a complete tech noob, but from what I understand, besides changing the text to japanese (and voiceacting? what about that?) they also messed around with the official V code as well?

Also, which code is better for what now? Theirs or SCP, what are each good for?  I hate to make such a comparison but pretty sure both has its good and bad points. But why not just use SCP and edit based on that? Better graphics and everything? Just wondering what you modders are going to do with this? Are we gona see new features in upcoming campaigns allowed using this code? Or different flight physics, diff ai...? What makes it diff?
Or is it just the language component thats changed to allow for japanese text (which I'm surprised theres actually people from my side of the globe playing this? *no longer lonely :P*)

BTW, suppose all I have to say is GRATS!! Big achievement for small team no doubt.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:31:26 pm by Mongoose »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The original Volition code is the one that was released by Volition back in 2002. It can only be used to build retail exes, minus the movie player and network code. So, FSO is superior in nearly all aspects.
If you had looked at the videos, you would have noticed that the VA is unchanged.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline IronForge

mmhm allright so is it just the language stuff thats changed, and can those japanese be able to use  the enhancements made by SCP? As in can they be run together for cummulative effect?

EDIT: Guess not from what I read but please correct me if im wrong.

Also, sorry for the... unintentional slightly offensive slang. Thanks mods for changing it.

Quote wiki:
In Singapore[9] and Hong Kong,[10] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese". The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term.[11] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle Jap" boutique in Paris.[12] In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study.[1]

I'm from singapore and recently moved to melbourne. Sorry, will be... more careful in future if thas possible. Sorry for going off topic just wanted to apologise. And sorry for starting a PC flamewar.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 02:02:23 am by IronForge »

But why not just use SCP and edit based on that?

As I alreadly said, just because SCP did not exist when I did coding work for localization. I started it just after the original source code was released. Then project was forgotten for a long time because there was no way to purchase retail copy of FS2. And after GoG started to sell FS2, I'm finally back to the project.

I do not have a plan to create Japanese version of voices. It is almost impossible to find enough volunteer voice actors, especially with professional level of quality. In Japan, although qualities of Japanese voice actors are excellent, convination of English voices and Japanese subtitles are more popular to watch English movies, rather than replacing voices with Japanese ones. If quality of voice acting is not good enough, no one will like it and everyone will choose to play with English voices with Japanese subtitles.

About "japs", I don't feel very good about it. But I know that many people do not know bad meaning of this word and just considering it as a simple abbreviation like yanks and brits.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Apart from the slyrs, this thread is a great read.

Excellent work, Komet. Very impressive!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke