Author Topic: About the FS2 to FS MOD...  (Read 11087 times)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
About the FS2 to FS MOD...
Will it have ion beams and flak? I think it should, I mean, it won't be cannon, but no ion beams or flak make the original pretty boring, because when I play FS2 and then go back to FS, it's so...boring, if you see what I mean.
Anyways, that's my two cents

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Mmh, it's FS to FS2, anyway, I sure hope there won't be beams or flak (save the lucifer beams).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
FS-->FS2= not legal  

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]      
ICQ 102628858
Staffer member of Inferno
Inferno

the the mod place!
Join our forums at The ModPlace![/b]
Gost of the past
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hey all, thanks for the interest. I've got a thread running over in the HLP forum too, so check there to see if there are any answered questions.

Originally posted by Unkown Target:
Will it have ion beams and flak? I think it should, I mean, it won't be cannon, but no ion beams or flak make the original pretty boring, because when I play FS2 and then go back to FS, it's so...boring, if you see what I mean.
Anyways, that's my two cents  

Remember what Alpha 3 said in that one nebula mission? "It's a miracle we won the Great War. No shields, no flak guns, no beam cannons." Well, that's FS1 for you. Ships duke it out with laser turrets and that's it. Still a change of pace, though. On the plus side, you won't get knocked around by the AAA beams from that Demon you're trying to bomb. And the beam and lighting effects are all that more spectacular when you see the Lucifer in combat. Lucifer=light bringer, by the way.  

Originally posted by Darkage:
FS-->FS2= not legal

So does that mean that B5-->FS2 and SW-->FS2 are illegal too? Say goodbye to TAP. But I digress. I think we've been over this, but I'm not sure. There are just two main points I want to make as far as legal issues- when Dark first ported the FS1 models to FS2, he contacted the big   because he was worried. Technically, they were illegal but Volition didn't care. Second, remember that this requires Freespace 2 to run, a game made by Volition. In fact, I encourage all of you to buy FS1 to get the full experience and all the features that aren't avaliable for download. Furthermore, I am not making any money off this at all. I also give full credit to   for doing everything and include the original mission designer's name in the ported missions. I have also sold my soul to THQ so they will leave me alone.  

Thanks for the support. Keep the feedback and questions coming!

------------------
"An evil mind is a constant comfort."
Revisit the Great War at The Freespace-Freespace 2 Port Project
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Grey Wolf

Luckily we DID get shields by the end of the war...
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Heck, we got shields by the end of Act I.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by GalacticEmperor:
Hey all, thanks for the interest. I've got a thread running over in the HLP forum too, so check there to see if there are any answered questions.

So does that mean that B5-->FS2 and SW-->FS2 are illegal too? Say goodbye to TAP. But I digress. I think we've been over this, but I'm not sure. There are just two main points I want to make as far as legal issues- when Dark first ported the FS1 models to FS2, he contacted the big     because he was worried. Technically, they were illegal but Volition didn't care. Second, remember that this requires Freespace 2 to run, a game made by Volition. In fact, I encourage all of you to buy FS1 to get the full experience and all the features that aren't avaliable for download. Furthermore, I am not making any money off this at all. I also give full credit to     for doing everything and include the original mission designer's name in the ported missions. I have also sold my soul to THQ so they will leave me alone.    

Thanks for the support. Keep the feedback and questions coming!

I contacted   ( Adem Pletcher ) he told me that it wasn't legal, but indeed you got a point on the other conversions you mentiond.

Edit: the FS-->FS2 = not legal thingy wasn't ment to piss you off or anything  

Originally posted by darkage:

I got a repley from Adam Pletcher read B!tches
1.Would it be legal to put the conversion up for D/L?

I'm almost certain this would not be legal. It would essentially be
offering FS2 content to people that haven't paid for that product.

2.The FS1 .ani files are 200x150.But the FS2 ani files are
wider do they
need to be resized,in order to view them corectly?And would
there be any
quality loss if you resized them?

Yes, you would have to resize them. You would lose some quality, sure, but
it depends on how it was scaled.

3.Can the FS1 missions be saved as a .FS2 file whit out Fred2
errors? like
unknown ships.

I doubt it. The formats differ in many ways, not just what ships they name.

4.If this is legal to put up FS1 cutscene's up for D/L? (Doubt it)

Definitely not.

- Adam

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]      
ICQ 102628858
Inferno

the the mod place!
Gost of the past

[This message has been edited by darkage (edited 02-12-2002).]
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Pheeew! The big AP! That's some pretty heavy stuff there, but I'll comment on what I can. I wonder if he ever lurks in here...

1.Would it be legal to put the conversion up for D/L?
I'm almost certain this would not be legal. It would essentially be offering FS2 (read: FS1) content to people that haven't paid for that product.

Okay, sounds fair. I'll devise some way that you will require FS1 to get the stuff working. The last thing I want to do is bite the hand that feeds us. I'll even post a link to the Interplay Store where you can buy it for $10 and never play it, just so you can use the data. Most FS'ers have no. 1 anyway.

2.The FS1 .ani files are 200x150.But the FS2 ani files are wider do they need to be resized,in order to view them corectly?And would there be any quality loss if you resized them?

Yes, you would have to resize them. You would lose some quality, sure, but
it depends on how it was scaled.

He's wrong here. FS1 CBanims work perfectly in FS2, both in low and hi res.

3.Can the FS1 missions be saved as a .FS2 file without Fred2 errors? like
unknown ships.

I doubt it. The formats differ in many ways, not just what ships they name.

Well, I guess Adam hasn't tried. There are a few things you have to do in Wordpad find and replace, like making PV* into GV* and Prometheus into Prometheus S. The code is essentially the same.

4.If this is legal to put up FS1 cutscene's up for D/L? (Doubt it)

Definitely not.

I have not the least intention of doing so. The Ancients cutscenes I'm doing as Command Briefings (silent) and I'm skipping the rest. It's been said long ago, when someone wrote a cutscene disassembler, that the movie format used was property of Interplay and copyrighted. If you want to see the Hall Fight, get FS1.

That's what I have to say. Like I said, I'm not trying to cheat   out of anything or pass this off as my own. All users of this mod have already paid for FS2 and if they're here they're fanatical followers of Freespace, and would do anything to keep it alive. The biggest threat to the survival of Freespace isn't my port but the way the companies are abandoning it. I hold tremendous respect for Volition and give them full credit for everything.

So, Darkage, how did you get in contact with Adam? I'd like to have a little chit-chat myself. If we can come to a solution, hopefully everybody involved with this game will come out the better.

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
hophophop:
first, you can use fs1 missions for fs2, I know we did for silent threat, you just get name errors and lose all the background:
2: TBP uses user made stuff, so it's legal: a fs1tofs2 would use volition material, taht should only be available if you buy fs1, so...
The best thing would be a prog that checks if you have FS1, extracts all the needed stuff from the fs1 VP files ( models, musics, stuff like that), adds the other mods ( like adapted tbls etc), et voila  
of course, that'd mean quite some work and programing stuff, but I think it's worth it. I would definitively play that, for my part.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam

Originally posted by venom2506:
The best thing would be a prog that checks if you have FS1, extracts all the needed stuff from the fs1 VP files ( models, musics, stuff like that), adds the other mods ( like adapted tbls etc), et voila  
of course, that'd mean quite some work and programing stuff, but I think it's worth it. I would definitively play that, for my part.

Reeeealllly... I'm interested. Contact me. Maybe we can still save my baby.

------------------

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Okay, my thoughts? Here you go:  

We have the missions for sure. Check...

The models. Now, if we use Dark's ones, we know we have permission there.   expressed no disagreement with those, so if you are still lacking models from FS1, I believe those models could be converted with a minimum of fuss. A quick email to Adam could sort this out.

The ANIs and cutscenes I believe we can do without. Not only are they are largely replaceable by a novelisation (especially the Ancients cutscenes... no-brainer), but they would make download sizes obscene. Going for the program approach, that would check to see if FS1 is installed, I guess that would be neat, but you're going to have to find someone to do that for you. It seems pretty difficult to me. I would leave that behind and just go straight for the novelisation approach (converting the cutscenes and ANIs that we lack into a written form).

As for music... well... I wouldn't really mind the FS2 music. But that's just me.  

So basically, the FS Port would be rather stripped down, but I would still definitely enjoy it if only because it was FS1 and it was in the FS2 engine. That's just my thoughts.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Setekh:
As for music... well... I wouldn't really mind the FS2 music. But that's just me.  

yeah, that's just you    

Anyway, galacticEmperor, sorry, i can't program, i was just opening my big mouth to suggest things that are most likely impossible to do. Huh, yeah, I'm just like that, sorry  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Thanks Steak. No barbecues.

My comments on Setekh's comments on my comments on Darkage's comments on my comments on his comment:

We have the missions? Good!
Dark converted all the models that were not included in the FS2 VP. All the weapon models were there anyway. Table entries simply made use of the stuff that was there.

Anis=optional. If you have FS1 it's a BIG bonus, but it's possible to do without.

Music=ditto.

------------------

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I've got to say I agree with Setekh on this one as well - it seems the easiest way to go about things without upsetting the powers-on-high whilst maintaining a fun campaign.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

The Ancients cutscenes I'm doing as Command Briefings (silent)...

No you aren't!!!   You're going to do the Ancient cutscenes as still shots with BG muzak (from the original cutscenes, perhaps). For the stills, you'll use these.    

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

Know how to use Rhino3D? Want to put your ships into Freespace 2? You've come to the right place!

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

So, Darkage, how did you get in contact with Adam? I'd like to have a little chit-chat myself. If we can come to a solution, hopefully everybody involved with this game will come out the better.

anyway i would like to see FS2 in FS1 would be cool. I say go for it, but indeed you should have a little chat whit Adam or DaveB.

I have Adam in my ICQ list and his e-mail from the VBB. This message i send via E-mail, better use e-mail he isn't much on icq.
You als can conntact DaveB he is almost every day online. I'll mail you the contact info.

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]      
ICQ 102628858
Inferno

the the mod place!
Gost of the past

[This message has been edited by darkage (edited 02-13-2002).]
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

For the Ancients cutscenes you could always do them 'in mission'. Get the player to select a ship (say Elysium), get an 'internal' view from that ship and this would, a few seconds later, start the monologue. Thats how I'm doing them in 'Time of Change' works resonablely as well.

As an aside, your conversion might get some more people interessed in ToC, thats set in the Great War also.

Good luck to you all!
'Honour the valiant who fall beneath your sword, but pity the warrior who slays all his foes' - G'trok, in the poem lu geng

'Clarification is not to make oneself clear, it is to put oneself in the clear.' - Sir Humphrey Appleby

Why not visit the Time of Change website?

Or perhaps my own website - Telencephalon

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Originally posted by darkage

I contacted   ( Adem Pletcher ) he told me that it wasn't legal, but indeed you got a point on the other conversions you mentiond.

Edit: the FS-->FS2 = not legal thingy wasn't ment to piss you off or anything  

------------------

-------------------

[email protected]      
ICQ 102628858
Inferno

the the mod place!
Join our forums at The ModPlace!

Gost of the past

[This message has been edited by darkage (edited 02-12-2002).] [/B]

WOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:  DID A GAMESDEVELOPER ACTUALY REPLYT TO EMAIL FROM THERE FANS :jaw:  GO VOLITION :yes:
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by USS Alexander
WOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw:  DID A GAMESDEVELOPER ACTUALY REPLYT TO EMAIL FROM THERE FANS :jaw:  GO VOLITION :yes:

Ahhh, you poor, deprived individual... born of the age... after the giants walked among us. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
Originally posted by Setekh

Ahhh, you poor, deprived individual... born of the age... after the giants walked among us. ;)

:wtf:
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****