Author Topic: Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds"  (Read 2701 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds"

Another one of these "sci-fi frontier games" ... /sarcasm

Release is said to be still in 2019, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Discuss what little we know!  :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Re: Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds"
If its basically a more polished and less buggy New Vegas then I'm all in.

That's a pretty nice trailer. They're definitely going for a bit of a Borderlands vibe, but I guess with more story and choice? Which sounds like it would be 300% up my alley.

Yoo the creators of Fallout 1 and 2 are working on this and that's the best thing.

Offline Snarks

Seems pretty wild and whacky. Personally though, I prefer Obsidian games that are a little more serious in tone (didn't like their South Park game), but I'm still excited nonetheless. It's nice to see an Obsidian game that isn't a CRPG.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
The "You just keep being you!" line made me laugh.  :lol:  for whatever reason struck me as poking fun at the "Be whatever you wanna be" schtick. "Be what you wanna be, kids, go randomly fold people if that makes you you!"  :D

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The "choice" bit was awesome. I so want to play this.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

I'm just kind of annoyed because it sounds very similar to "Outer Wilds" and I keep thinking everyone's talking about Outer Wilds instead.

It could be cool but I’m intensely wary of the circlejerk from nerds who think Obsidian can do no wrong despite abundant evidence to the contrary.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

It could be cool but I’m intensely wary of the circlejerk from nerds who think Obsidian can do no wrong despite abundant evidence to the contrary.

Take Two/Private Division did give them two years to work on this one, and scalewise it should be smaller than FNV. If they manage to bungle that up well...

Well I'm not pre-ordering anything, for sure. But I think it's fair to look forward to something, and let the reviews speak when they happen.

Take Two/Private Division did give them two years to work on this one, and scalewise it should be smaller than FNV. If they manage to bungle that up well...

Well that's the sort of thing I'm getting at, their earlier blunders weren't the fault of evil publishers refusing to give them enough time to finish their games, it was the fault of management negotiating to deliver games on a schedule and then bungling the production timeline. Their problems have, it seems, all been the fault of the guys at the top, and those same guys are still running the company.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Delayed by one year if you don't use the Epic store.

That's some EA-level bull****.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
You can also get it on the Microsoft store, without a delay.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Game delayed by one year.

That is really annoying. But to play Devil's advocate: Steam has not been great lately, and in general, Epic Store is a better proposition for them.

I mean, aside from all the sales they won't be getting because they aren't on Steam.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I think epic store interface is cleaner.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Snarks

With The Outer Worlds, Industry of Titans, and Phoenix Point all going on the Epic Store, I'm starting to consider just buying and playing them instead of waiting the 1 year before Steam. I see a lot of angry people on these games being made timed exclusives, but these are games I want to play and developers I want to support. It's not easy being a developer, and at the very least, this is getting Steam to actually do something.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
If epic support phoenix point to the....point where they are happy to be exclusive for a while,  I'm happy to use epic.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
That is really annoying. But to play Devil's advocate: Steam has not been great lately, and in general, Epic Store is a better proposition for them.

I mean, aside from all the sales they won't be getting because they aren't on Steam.

It's not about which store is better than the other, it's about limiting consumer choice via artificially-constructed barriers.  I mean it's one thing for publishers to limit their first-party titles to their own consoles or storefronts: as much I may chafe at the existence of Origin and UPlay, it's really no different than Valve originally creating Steam to distribute their own first-party titles.  (Even then, Ubisoft is smart enough to recognize where the most eyeballs are and put their titles on Steam as well.)  There's also the convenience factor: right now I own PC games across...six different digital storefronts, four of which I currently have launchers installed for.  (Two of them I only have games in due to freebie giveaways.)  I can't even keep track of what I own where or who's having what sale at the moment.  It's a massive pain in the ass.

At the end of the day though, these developers are just shooting themselves in the feet.  They're missing out on the venues with the biggest user bases, and I can guarantee their games will be far more heavily pirated than if they'd released more conventionally across multiple storefronts.  Hopefully whatever Epic is paying them will offset the losses.