Author Topic: Director's Cut changelog: what we did!  (Read 15006 times)

Re: Director's Cut changelog: what we did!
Weirdly enough I don't even have to try to save it on Insane. The other NTF fighters do a sufficient job at distracting it, just have to mop up the zod bomber strike ASAP so the hilton is at 100% when the Mentu jumps in. And obviously, pump it full of tempests to kill it faster.

FS2 balance is all kinds of ****ed. Another example is "King's Gambit" which is completely self-playing on insane due to the Mjolnir firerate. You don't even have to lift a finger, the mjolnir beams will just obliterate everything.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:12:55 am by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh! Oh oh oh, of course. Adding 'same turret cool down' to beams in BP must have made many retail missions more beam-spammy!

That explains King's Gambit perfectly. I'll have to manually adjust the rate down a bit, or toughen up the warships.

Offline qwadtep

Speaking of King's Gambit, it and the following mission have both retail and BP Cyclopses (Cyclopsis? Cyclopes?) listed on loadout.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
They're both retail Cyclops, actually!

Well, that would be one solution. FS2 was always very beam-spammy on the higher difficulties where the AI didn't recieve a firewait multiplier. Sadly, a lot of missions were balanced around medium and became completely self-playing or harder than suggested due to beam spam.
Another solution would be to make the mission about the mjolnirs, adding in wings of fighters who attack them and forcing the player to defend them if he wants their firepower(or ignore them and grab all the warship kills himself).

Speaking of wirewait multipliers, think maybe that Mentu in Rebels and Renegades fires Standard Flak at full/near tabled ROF? That would explain the difficulty jump.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline TacOne

• Dabbling Modder
Did something happen to the database entries for The Rift parts I and II?
I have the entries in there but there's no text body for them.

Offline Makhpella

• Kharak is burning!
Okay, couple of issues. Also, hello.
First, TacOne's lack of text for The Rift I and II.
Second, WiH's pilot's log doesn't stick. I only get the first entry, none of the others. Which sucks, because I could read the part where Simms hits the floor a thousand times, and it wouldn't become boring. This is for both acts 1 and 2 & Tenebra.
Third, dossiers. I'm not getting any of them for Falcata wing and Al'Da-wa. Though I did read them by opening the VP. Spooky stuff.
Fourth: WiH 1 won't end for me. I mean, I finish it, watch Sunglare, go to the mission simulator...No Sunglare. Selecting it in the campaign screen it just sends me back to...Sunglare. I don't get the campaign complete, reset to play again screen.

That's all I remember right now.
'I'm from the marksman school of conversation.' -Kovacs

I found why The Rift - I and The Rift - II are empty.
In data\fiction files are named as db_rift1.txt and db_rift2.txt
but in journal_bp_intel.cfg are used names db_therift1.txt and db_therift2.txt.

Additionally db_reunion2.txt and db_nagari2.txt are used somewhere or should not?

In journal_bp2_dossiers.cfg missing .txt in line: @File: db_aldawa

Some texture is missing in Medals

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:07:30 pm by tomimaki »

Offline qwadtep

The Colossus keeps firing while it blows up in Her Finest Hour, which would be cool if the turrets it was firing from still existed.

The Sacred Keeper has a lonely pulse turret in Sacrifices that I assume is supposed to be a laser. Didn't check other missions.

Why is Steele bringing up MORPHEUS on open comms? I preferred the old "carry out your orders immediately, or face a court martial" line.

Why wouldn't he? Pilots know that MORPHEUS exists, they just don't know what it actually is.

Offline qwadtep

Do they? I didn't keep up on all the fiction, but as I recall Lopez barely had the clearance to know about it. The player only knows about it at that point in the campaign thanks to Nagari.

The rebalancing of strike craft as completely broken strikecraft balance in WiH. It takes less than two seconds for a Nyx, with its buffed Balors, to vaporize a Kentauroi. Any style of play other than "evade and let invulnerable wingmen take care of it" is no longer viable, as every Tev fighter can mission-kill you before it's possible to accelerate to safety again. The Diomedes' pulse-and-AAA murderbox is more forgiving than a single Perseus.

Speaking of the Diomedes and their murderbox, Paveways are effectively useless now. Even when they make it past the point defense, they're frequently annihilated by the very warship beams you're scrambling to disable.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't think you're right about those points. Nor are invulnerable wingmen particularly reliable for taking care of things, since they can now get knocked out of action on the higher difficulties!

There's no point in classifying classified names, that's just inane. Why wouldn't pilots know that something called MORPHEUS exists, they just don't have a clue what it's about. They knew that something named ETAK existed in the 2nd incursion too.

Offline qwadtep

I don't think you're right about those points. Nor are invulnerable wingmen particularly reliable for taking care of things, since they can now get knocked out of action on the higher difficulties!
You're welcome to throw together a test mission in FRED and see for yourself. Just a stationary Kent or Uhlan and a Balor-loaded Tev attacking it. So easy Geico will sue you for copyright infringement. If you think you can complete objectives without giving attackers a two-second window to shoot at you, I'd love to see it.

There's no point in classifying classified names, that's just inane. Why wouldn't pilots know that something called MORPHEUS exists, they just don't have a clue what it's about. They knew that something named ETAK existed in the 2nd incursion too.
Because the fact that something classified exists is classified. You never heard about ETAK outside of SOC loops until late in the game, did you? Or the Colossus or Hades until they showed up. Laporte and friends know that ships are dropping off the grid for Byrne's secret, but they certainly don't know that said project is called Shambhala.

You know the balor only does 10% more damage to shields and same damage to hull as in the old WiH, right? It's still weaker than the Kayser and the buffs to the Tev craft brought them up to the level of the UEF stuff. A 2-second window is way too long though, a Nyx with 8 balors can completely strip away your shields in a second even if you equalised every millisecond. It can probably kill you in much less than 2 seconds.

You're not supposed to let it shoot at you though. Use your superior roll and pitch rate to barrel roll behind it while avoiding balor fire or your reverse burners to get a quick snapshot and fill it with rapier bolts and hellfires before it can shoot back.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah, the Balor buff is so marginal I doubt it's seriously altered balance. 'You die really fast if you get in front of a Nyx' has been a constant since 2010.

Offline Doko

I'm ok with how fast the player can get annihilated by balors but there's nothing that pisses me off more than treb spamming from the AI on hard/realism The AI has some kind of quota it MUST fill about targeting the player even if there are obvious better targets around. It is the actual oposite of realism.

You can see this clearly in aristeia during the treb strikes and delenda est when the wing of hercs will literally spam you with trebs even if if you are hiding behind something, have other targets at 1-2km closer to them, the trebs will be fired on you non stop because reasons.

And I totally agree with him on the subsystem missile point. For a paveway or stileto to actually hit a diomedes you have to be basically sitting on the beam emiter for your missiles to not get shot instantly by turrets that are targeting the player as he aproaches. These anti SS missiles should have an invulnerability for just a couple of seconds for the risk/reward of making a bombing run pay off.

The AI has no real checks to target the player more often, there are just so many hercs and you happen to be within their firing arcs. They also have no qualms about firing them as soon as they reload so it seems like you're being targeted more often.

Not that trebs are actually dangerous, just barrel roll while afterburning and pump a few CMs just to be safe. They shouldn't be able to hit you.

Offline qwadtep

Yeah, the Balor buff is so marginal I doubt it's seriously altered balance. 'You die really fast if you get in front of a Nyx' has been a constant since 2010.
In past releases I was able to kill at least one Nyx by playing chicken during the opening merge of Aristeia, even on insane. Now they survive with 40-50% while I'm blown to hell on Normal. If it isn't the Balor buff, it's something else, but there's no way something hasn't changed significantly.

Not that trebs are actually dangerous, just barrel roll while afterburning and pump a few CMs just to be safe. They shouldn't be able to hit you.
Which takes you back to the problem of actually engaging objectives when you have to spend so much of the mission evading near-instant kills.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Don't play chicken with Nyxes man D: