Author Topic: How did the Sanctuary manage to cannibalize a Loki?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Rhys

How did the Sanctuary manage to cannibalize a Loki?
I know I'm getting really nitpicky with this, but it doesn't make sense that the Sanctuary would have access to a Loki fighter given that it was barely deployed to even the GTI fleet after the Lucifer was destroyed. As far as I know, only the R&D branch had access to this fighter presumably during the Great War.

I know I shouldn't be thinking about it too much, but it just struck me as odd when I was playing through AoA again.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: How did the Sanctuary manage to cannibalize a Loki?
I think one of their ships even has Myrmidon parts. :nervous:

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yep, that's on me; I designed the uglies.

Let's just say they had defectors from GTI R&D.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

GTIs HQ was on Earth, and ultimatly they used only parts of the fighters (meaning they wouldn't have to be complete at that point), what is OK aside the Myrmidon parts.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep, that's on me; I designed the uglies.

Let's just say they had defectors from GTI R&D.

It's not your fault in any way! You didn't make the uglies with this specific use in mind. And frankly I think Darius' philosophy of 'use what fits, don't worry about getting everything perfect' is part of what made AoA work way back when it was a scrappy one-man campaign.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
The Hades rebellion started and was snuffed out merely several months after Sol became stranded, so the GTI must have received some of these fighters or at least parts and the design. This means that the Loki and Zeus projects were already underway for a long time, possibly even before first Shivan sightings (just like Hades). This means that Earth was in possesion of some of these craft, and definitely of lots of parts for them when Lucifer arrived in Sol.

I guess that the Sanctuary was fitted with the best equipement, including Loki and Zeus craft and parts for them. Even if they didn't receive functional fighters of these classes, they definitely had their designs by then - and I think that using ready parts and some resources, Sanctuary could also produce some of these on their own. The Sanctuary was supposed to hide - and what hides better than stealth fighters?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.