Author Topic: Ideas for a Custom Mission  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: Ideas for a Custom Mission
it is easier than you think! You just need to practice! :D
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
There will be a slight delay while my dad uses my computer.  I should have the mission posted by 11 ET. Ran into a few small problems but I think I can figure them out. This is going to be the most unpolished thing any of you will play for a long time,  but I'm proud of it. :D
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
FRED is one of those hours to learn, life time to master deals. I've been FREDding for over 7 years now and I still find new stuff I can do with it all the time (and that's not including times I cheat and add the code to allow it to do new things. :D )
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Okay, I set the waypoint to lead into the hanger of a Ranger class, so there should be plenty of room for the shuttles, but they keep hitting an invisible wall or something. They get right up to the hanger then BAM, they start jumping around and taking damage the further into the ship they get. Not sure what's wrong. Help?
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Congratulations, you've just run into FS2 collision detection system. You have to place waypoints carefully, otherwise landing approach will not work. If you do not want to bother yourself with waypoints, use departue que to have the shattles depart, then create new shuttles, which will appear in the hangar bay.

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
I put the waypoints pretty much dead center on the hanger, is ther a better place?
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
use departue que to have the shattles depart, then create new shuttles, which will appear in the hangar bay.

I know I've heard this one somewhere before... but where?  ;)

Anyway... I hope my three point patrol showed you the basic autopilot. The autopilot template you can download is great... but it's complex as hell to work with. To be honest... I still haven't really figured it out. One day I'll use it. Maybe.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Have a look at the FRED section of my FAQ if you haven't already. The variable and arguments sections should help a little as I suspect that's the complicated parts.

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
This is taking longer than I thought, so  I'll take the teams approach.
When its done
 :lol:
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
it's complex as hell to work with. To be honest... I still haven't really figured it out. One day I'll use it. Maybe.

it is not. I would write a tutorial, but then again, that template is outdated. ;)

With newer EXEs you could simply activate autopilot cutscenes. They do not work smoothly yet, but are easy to use for beginners. :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Last noob question: How do I post it?
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Use additional options - attach function (it is just above the "post" button)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Alright, this is my first real mission that I've started from concept to completion. It took me about three days, and it's kind of lacking in polish but I'm proud of it.

This is based on the assumption that you've fouled up Defend Ticonderoga as many times as I have. :lol:
If any of you spot any problems tell me what they are and how to fix them. If you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Download the file and unzip it to your WC Saga Prologue->Data->Missions folder

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:23:50 pm by Haliwali »
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

ok first little bug - when i died, i actually got the debriefing with winning text
Edit it was actually both winning and loosing text, you should work  with debriefing sexps
I would suggest connecting them with mission goals. Also destroyed or departed delay should be used in spetial situations only, you should either use is-destroyed-delay or has departed delay.

problem 2: as all your mission objectives have "true" as therirs  Sexp's, they are already done. this means, among other things, that you have absolutely no idea when the mission is over

Last. I hope you don't take this critics personnally. I just wanted to point out few things
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:30:57 pm by Mancubus »

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
ok first little bug - when i died, i actually got the debriefing with winning text
Edit it was actually both winning and loosing text, you should work  with debriefing sexps
I would suggest connecting them with mission goals. Also destroyed or departed delay should be used in spetial situations only, you should either use is-destroyed-delay or has departed delay.

problem 2: as all your mission objectives have "true" as therirs  Sexp's, they are already done. this means, among other things, that you have absolutely no idea when the mission is over

Last. I hope you don't take this critics personnally. I just wanted to point out few things

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to go through the mssion very carefully and patch everything I can find.
By the way team, you know what would make me all warm and fuzzy inside?  Seeing this on the Home Page :lol:
Maybe after I patch it...
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
By the way team, you know what would make me all warm and fuzzy inside? 

A puppy?

(Sorry... this bordered on spam... but it's an old inside joke with some very close friends that I just couldn't resist sharing with the world. Whether you got it or not.  :D )
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to go through the mssion very carefully and patch everything I can find.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/FAQ/fredcommonmistakes.html

The majority of that is applicable to any FREDded mission rather than just ones for FS2 so it should give you a good idea what to look for.

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
By the way team, you know what would make me all warm and fuzzy inside? 

A puppy?
I don't get it, do I eat the puppy?
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.