Author Topic: Ideas for a Custom Mission  (Read 11149 times)

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
    • Myspace. Please be my friend
Ideas for a Custom Mission
If anyone has read the X-Wing series, you may remember the Requiem scenario from the first book.  In it, he Squadron had to defend 3 Medevac shuttles while they got the wounded off of a damaged ship.  They faced waves of Ties and bombers, and a destroyer.
I thought this would be a pretty cool mission for the simulator, replacing the TIES with Darkets, Dralthi, and Gothris or Pahktans. Players would fly in a Hellcat or Thud, and the capship could be the Ticonderoga.
I'd like to do it my self, but some of the stuff like getting the shuttles to land and take off properly is beyond me :confused:. If I could get some help, or if anyone has any other good ideas, post 'em here.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 11:13:20 am by Haliwali »
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

The turtles were revolting,
and nobody could stop them.

First they came for the Jedi,
and I did not speak out.
because I was not a Jedi.
Then they came for the giant robots.
and I did not speak out
because I was not a giant robot.
Then they came for the Nerds,
and I was screwed.

Sparkly Weasel, meet Forceful Chainsaw

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Ideas for a Custom Mission
Sounds qefully lot like 'save CRV Korolev'... from original X-Wing...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Sounds qefully lot like 'save CRV Korolev'... from original X-Wing...

I think that was the original title, but the pilots got so fed up the started giving it nicknames.
Anyway, what do you think about making that WCish?
The cake is a Lie.

They littered the beach as dense as a crowded Tokyo street during a Final Fantasy release riot. The slow, tottering advance only heightened the suspense of this freakishly ironic scene.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Go for it. If you get stuck, just ask.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
    • The Elite, International
Indeed. Just go for it, and as you have questions, just fire them on the forums (see my posts for examples of my shining idiocy). But there's a lot to learn, and as you practice, you notice that each mission you make looks a little more polished than the last.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Trust me, it is easy to learn FRED (although hard to master). You will be amazed how quickly you can produce good missions!
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
I think the best thing to do if im going to get this thing in a playable condition would be I build the map any somone else shows me how to do the event and waypoints and other, more complicated things. Check back here tomorrow, I should have the map itself finished.

See you on the other side.
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Okay Ive almost finished with the map, but Im going to need someone to help me with the rest. Im going to popst the file here, then one of you can download it and repost it in its finished form. :yes:
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
uh, what? ;)

You will have to do the mission on your own. That's the only way to learn. We'll try to help you in any way we can. :D

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Okay time for the noob questions
How do I get a shuttle to land in a hanger, wait for 2 minutes, then take off :confused:
How do I get the player ship to land at the end of the mission. :confused:
How do I set up objectives and waypoints :confused:
The noobishness will continue i'm sure :mad:
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
I'm not going to write out the script for you because it's important to figure out what each little sexp does on your own. But here it is in laymans terms. Besides that, I just woke up and couldn't tell you what color my shirt is.

#1. Okay... you know when you're editing ships and it has the arrive/depart windows? In the depart window, you need to set up a condition (all enemy fighters destroyed? Player has accomplished a certain goal? Whatever it is...), with the result that the shuttle will depart. Set up the depart info for a docking bay, and select the capital ship you want it to dock on. When the condition is met in-game, the shuttle will head for the carrier. Getting it to re-launch? Create a new shuttle, with a point somewhere in space that you want it to launch to (make the name very similar or with an extra space or something, because you can't have two ships with the same name), and in the arrival window, put a delay of 120 seconds, and the arrival condition (the window on the bottom) is the "when-departed" with the old shuttle.

#2. Script an event that will end the mission when the distance between Alpha 1 and ship subsystem (choose a docking bay) is less than 60. (You can use another number, but I find 60 is a good distance).

#3. Objectives are just events that are "accomplished" when whatever sexp you set up becomes true. The details depend on the mission. Waypoints... do you mean autopilot? Until you get really deep in, I suggest you just use simple time compression autopilot. I don't have enough time to write it out for you right now... have to feed the kid breakfast... but I'll come back and give you an example. I'll write this one out for you because autopilot drove me @#$%ing insane for two weeks.
What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind...actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost. - Captain Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce, M*A*S*H

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
Better yet - I have a simple three point patrol mission that has answers to all of your questions except the shuttle launch. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

NOTE: This was the first mission I had accomplished, so it's not terribly polished compared to my more recent works. But it's simple and it works to demonstrate the method.

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
thanks for the help.
I should have this thing up by tomorrow or maybe late tonight.
just need to finish with the shuttles, for the life of me I cant get them working right. :shaking:
Check in later
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Here is an idea: place a waypoint inside the hangar, order a shuttle to proceed to the waypoint and once it is reached, to play dead. Then reactivate it after 2 min by clearing ai goals and assigning a new waypoint. You just have to place them carefully so that the shuttle does not crash. And, obviously, this will work only if the carrier is not moving.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
Would AI enemies still targetting the shuttle be disinclined to follow it in? Just wondering....

Tolwyn's idea is significantly schfancier than mine... but would look a helluva' lot cooler and be less potentially messy so long as it worked correctly. Go with his way if you can.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
well, add protect ship flag.

The trick here would be to place waypoints correctly. Might be a bit of trial and error.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline FlashFire

• Marshall of The Elite
That's true... then just lift the flag when the shuttle launches again. See... this is why I'm an amateur. :-P

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
That brings me back to 1 of my original questions, how do set up nav points for the shuttles?
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
It is dead easy. You should read the fred tutorial provided on the website as it explains how to do it.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Haliwali

• Cake is a lie.
Got it thanks. I'm almost done now, just need to fix the objectives and it'll be done.  I now have a new appreciation for what you guys are doing. Lot harder than I thought.
The cake is a Lie.

and I did not speak out.
and I did not speak out
and I was screwed.