Author Topic: Interactive control over multiplayer mission?  (Read 4725 times)

Offline ksotar

Interactive control over multiplayer mission?
Imagine situation.

I'll be hosting MP mission for fighter pilots. There will be several cap ships included. Meanwile some other players (the HQ) will be playing strategic board game. Based on its outcome, some cap ships may explode.

Is there a way to control such things on the server side?

If it will be some crasy variant like " Join the game with ship invisible to players with a certain name, and bind explosion to its arrival", it'll do as well, but more civilized ways are preferable.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:35:14 pm by ksotar »

Re: Interactive control over multiplayer mission?
I think we'll need more detail on what you're asking to give a meaningful answer. Multiplayer in general is pretty quiet these days, anyway.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
ksostar, maybe you could also try hopping on the HLP Discord server and asking there (a lot of people here are on there)

Also, I imagine what you're asking is possible with some Lua scripting or something, but as xeno said, you'll probably need to provide more details.

Offline ksotar

I'm on Discord, but this is low priority matter for me, so I'd better discuss it here without haste. At least for now, while everybody are on holidays.

Uh, I thought I provided a meaningful example, but I'll try again.

I want to be able to control mission events interactively, for multiplayer. For example, I press a key or run a command on a server and some ships arrive, or cap ships explode, etc.

I need this because there is no way to bind this logic strict into mission triggers/scripts. Some of the events may even come from outside the mission itself. We'll be running a large Live Role Playing session, where pilots missions will be only a part of events. Events outcome can be prepared beforehand, but it is unknown will they trigger or not. I can receive a message like "Bomb plant was successful", and then I need a cap ship to explode. But the ship will be fine till the end of mission, if I don't.

Does it sound any clearer now? :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:46:15 pm by ksotar »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
In other words, he wants the ability to be a "Dungeon Master" for the game.

Offline ksotar

Yes, that's pretty much so :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Why can't you just build this into the mission and just use key-presses to make it happen? I assume the server will be in the same room as the player, right?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ksotar

Ehm, I'm just a beginner with SEXPs - is it possible just to assign keypresses to actions? Server maybe will be, or may be not (most probably) in the same room with players, but how does it matter?  :nervous:

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Ehm, I'm just a beginner with SEXPs - is it possible just to assign keypresses to actions? Server maybe will be, or may be not (most probably) in the same room with players, but how does it matter?  :nervous:

Normally you can do that. Though im unaware if that works as intended via Multiplayer. But yes, you can assign a SEXP that asks when->keypressed("your key") then do (x). Your X can be a creation of a new ship, or destruction of another (etc.). If Im not mistaken you can assign shortcrouts like alt-key or shift-key. If you want to reuse the functionality you must remember to set up repeat count up to a ludicrous level, and always remember, to clear the "key pressed" after each action, so it doesn't repeat when not asked for.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It depends which kind of server you are running. On a standalone you can't send key presses. You need to be on a server that you are also playing on.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
I'm not sure if that's possible, but you might want to also try and place some dummy objects (i.e. 8 Ulysses fighters with "Play Dead" order) and have some of them obey orders of player 1, some of player 2, ect. and have players setting up events of the mission by ordering certain vessels to depart and then having the mission detect departures of these objects and reacting accordingly.

Example: Player 1 orders "Cruiser wing Crethus: Attack formation" named vessel to depart, has-departed-delay SEXp triggers and your mission script changes cruisers' orders to follow a different waypoint path.

I just have no goddamn idea if you can "attach" vessels to different players when it comes to orders...
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline ksotar

I did as you suggested, and it works. Invisible ships take orders only from host, jumps out. And boom.