Author Topic: Total conversions: Why?  (Read 1527 times)

Total conversions: Why?
Just wondering, what do people think about this:

on almost any game, people make total conversions for it, despite the fact that there is often an official game for it. Is it simply the engine? Or maybe simply that the other games are crap?

I had more ideas, but i forgot them when i went to school. O_o
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Re: Total conversions: Why?
In my opinion, it's the offer of a different experience of a certain game/universe/story/thing. For example, you have a FreeSpace strategy mod for HomeWorld2. Or there is a Tiberian Sun ( RTS ) mod for an FPS game. And etc. You can have a much different experience and everything via total conversions.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Total conversion does not necissarily mean taking a game and moving stuff into it from a different game. There have been plenty of times that people have created a completely original game as a mod for a pre-existing game, which is still a total conversion.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The last dedicated Star Wars combat flight sim was X-Wing Alliance published in 1999.

If I want to blow up some X-Wings today, I'd musch rather play the Star Wars TC hosted here. :D
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
It's not neccesarily recreating a game either, for example with the Star Wars Conversion, our goal is not to make X-Wing Alliance with better graphics, but rather create an entirely new type of Star Wars sim that doesn't follow the conventions of the old X-Wing series.  If we wanted to just play XWA with better graphics, there's already another group out there that's done it, we're doing something new, hence why we felt we could create this game.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

ok, thanks.

keep posting if you want, i just wanted to hear others views, it was one of those annoying things that keeps me up all night... don't ask.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

I know how you feel :doubt:

Take the Troopers: Dawn of Destiny star wars mod for UT2004. It's like battlefront 2, sure, but completely different and worth playing.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.