Set about 30 years after the events of Freespace 2, Terran-Vasudan space is nothing like you remember. The nodes collapsed and reformed, galactic society all but collapsed and Sol suddenly finds itself back on the galactic stage. Join the Union of Sol in their journey in understanding the nature of the Cataclysm that brought the end to the GTVA and their attempts to carefully tread the new interstellar political landscape formed in its wake.
Inspired by the game Avorion I set out to make a new campaign under the pretext of “What if we just threw everything into the proverbial shredder.” It has been a while since I’ve even attempted anything as large as this and because of that I will be taking baby steps in this mod’s development. This is my attempt at taking said baby steps. This beta is meant to be a huge learning experience as, to be quite honest, I have zero idea what I’m doing and while I can keep mashing away at the mod in secret, I won’t learn anything if I don’t release even a small demo.
What does this Beta offer?
• 8 Missions
• 6 new playable ships (only 3 of which are available in the 8 missions)
• 11 new weapons
• 3 new factions
• A new home for the Earth Defense Team’s beautiful creations (soundtrack and interface)
• A chance to tell me how bad I am at modding and how to improve
• Fury AI
• Realistic point values for ships (let there be RANKS!)
• The campaign was tested on Insane
• The writing is not final, suggestions/tips/black magic on how to get good is most welcomed.
• There are some pieces here and there that are missing (no intel tech descriptions relevant to Cataclysm, for example.) I opted not to include any as they’re presently not relevant.
• As a Beta, bugs are expected. I have not had any CTDs or noticeable performance issues while testing but I speak for myself, and only myself. Guaranteed I missed something, somewhere. Or just vagrantly ignored/forgot/insert excuse here to fix something.
• Latest Stable FSO Release Version (Tested on 22.2.0)
• Latest MediaVPs
• Your strongest drink
Credits and Special Thanks:
• See credit list.txt for a breakdown on assets used. PM if you see something of yours and you're not listed.
• Nyctaeus for his contributions and unique ideas, I am forever grateful
• Kiloku for his ideas, contributions, and being a proverbial wall for me to throw ideas at
• DamnDirtyCat for not yet seen contributions (check out his Stellaris fan art on Reddit if you haven't already)
• HLP for their continued contributions to Freespace and the entertainment their Discord has brought me every day
Find it on Knossos under "Cataclysm"