Author Topic: Activision would like to raise game prices further!  (Read 9557 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Activision would like to raise game prices further!
Title says it all, link to article http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=220926&site=cvg
What are your thoughts on this? Mine are how can they be this stupid, in the middle of one of the worst recessions and people losing jobs left right and center how can they think that raising prices from the average £29.99 up to £54.99 even to £100 will get them more sales? What planet is Activision living on?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Activision would like to raise game prices further!
ONE HUNDRED POUNDS? I'm reading that correctly, right? Not some kind of American nubbery?

That's insane. That's unconscionable.

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
Sick... :eek: I guess they might be doing it since they know that the public wants it and some will do anything to get it... But your right, this could have been the worst time to do it. That's around $80-$100 bucks in the US and $85-$120 in Canada. Better be a pretty darn good game to charge that much.:hopping:
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
People will just stop buying them, and then Activision will scream that it's all piracies fault.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Thats what i thought, that this will just turn more people going for the piracy option which is bad. I still don't get the reasoning behind this other that guys at activision are idoits. I just hope other publishers don't go down this path.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I could see buying a game for $100... but only if it was an insanely wicked-cool game with tons of content. I could also see it being a popular option for MMOs as an alternative to monthly subscriptions: spend $100 or so to buy a "lifetime" subscription instead.

Other than that, though, they're nuts. :)

Offline Mika

Odd. I thought there was an interview of a developer who just recently said the game prices are too high.

I have had my price cap at 25 € for a long time. Above that, that's no sales for me. I only buy PC games in any case, so anything console related doesn't bother me.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
Sick... :eek: I guess they might be doing it since they know that the public wants it and some will do anything to get it... But your right, this could have been the worst time to do it. That's around $80-$100 bucks in the US and $85-$120 in Canada. Better be a pretty darn good game to charge that much.:hopping:

welcome to the country known as europe (LOL) anyways, all the new games in estonia cost 120$ or so, older ones go for about 60 - 70 $ welcome to leveled out pricing :)
I hate My signature!

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
They'll do this so they can sell the consoles for a fiver!  :rolleyes:

Just like printers these days, the actual printers are dirt cheap, but the ink refills are pricey and only last like five minutes!  :hopping:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

This would be worth $200. But nothing else comes to mind.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie

This thing actually went for 200$.... and is awesome!
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Damn, that does look cool.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Should there ever be an FS2 capship simulator... we need that interface...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
People will just stop buying them, and then Activision will scream that it's all piracies fault.

I dunno. At one point in time, they'll have to realize blaming piracy and ladening on more DRM doesn't help, and they'll have to realize that raising the price to compensate for the lack of sales just decreases sales more and increases piracy.

Price is the main reason that I don't buy games these days. I bought a $200 MP3 player that I'll be using for a few years. I'm not going to spend a quarter of that price on a game that I'll play for a week.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I would like to point out that 50 USD games come to Australia at 100-110 AUD (83-92 USD at current exchange rates). It's great to see more people failing basic economics.

The price is increased because developers have to cater to Australia's ****ed-up game ratings system :p .
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Thing is, it's already got record pre-orders.

Y'See this is why I think capitalism is broken, and I'm just as guilty as everyone else in it. Capitalism works whilst customers have the strength of will to live without something they want, but don't need, not only have banks got greedy, but the truth is, consumers have got lazy.

I use the term 'more money than sense' with reservation, but the only reason companies try to rip customers off is because the consumer is so desperate to have newest version of everything the moment it is released. Can it really be a rip-off if the punter is walking into it with their eyes open?

Capitalism is a two-way process, it's not just a question of companies choosing what to sell, it's consumers choosing what to buy, and being willing to live without their luxuries to prove a point, that factor of it tends to be disappearing to a large degree.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Boycott pleeez

:nervous:

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hoist the black flag me buckos.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Yes please, Activision deserve it if they go and do that.