Author Topic: Activision would like to raise game prices further!  (Read 9659 times)

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Re: Activision would like to raise game prices further!
The price is increased because developers have to cater to Australia's ****ed-up game ratings system :p .

Part of the extra cost is due to the shipping, I would imagine.

--

Hoist the black flag me buckos.

Oi! We call those Jolly Rogers 'round 'ere!

(Unless you're talking about the Anarchist Flag.)

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
The price is increased because developers have to cater to Australia's ****ed-up game ratings system :p .

Part of the extra cost is due to the shipping, I would imagine.
Even international shipping from the US for individual games is still cheaper.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Oi! We call those Jolly Rogers 'round 'ere!

(Unless you're talking about the Anarchist Flag.)

The Black Flag is traditionally not only symbolic of pirates, but also a signal that no quarter will be offered. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Meanwhile, upcoming releases like Tony Hawk: Ride and DJ Hero, which ship with unique controller peripherals, will likely carry price tags that push £100.

In the latter case, well, okay, fits the grand tradition of Guitar Hero I suppose. In the former case, wtf?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Tony Hawk: Ride apparently comes with a full-size motion-sensing skateboard deck peripheral, so it's kind of in the same league as Guitar Hero and its ilk.

Boy, and everyone knows Steel Battalion and its peripherals did so well.
//end sarcasm
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Yeah, and the limited number of copies they produced helped that so much.
//end sarcasm.

Well, it was around $200.  That couldn't have helped sales all that much.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Quite seriously, neither could the fact that only around 50000 were even produced.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I never even saw a copy of Steel Battalion, or I might have purchased it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Given the massive success of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band franchises, I can't help but think that a game like Steel Battalion would probably go over far better today than it did when it was released.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm not so sure...

Really, why play with giant armored fighting vehicles and an advanced control system when you can instead play a game with untold numbers of assorted releases (of the same game with the same engine...) and engage in various pop-culture related wingdings while playing with your friends? Not to mention that you don't even have to learn a real instrument, just an imitation fake one. I'm not saying there's no skill involved, I'm merely stating that the sound of clicking is just not as fulfilling as... actually really learning three chords and playing "Smoke on the Water."

This is the reason the modern game is usually not up to par. It's not saying it's bad, but it's nothing special. The special, great games tend to have a selective audience, and they appeal to that audience; they also did a great job doing it. I feel the modern title, if super-overgeneralizations are to be made, are meant to appeal to everyone. This results in "meh." Enough said.

Obviosly, it comes down to sales. If it's great but not everyone buys it, then the quota is not met and the project was a "failure." Just look at our friend, Lucas Arts: Since when do TIE Fighters have PROTON TORPEDOES?! :hopping:

On a secondary note, support your small-time developer. They actually do what they feel like doing.

:nervous: Well, rant over then...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I only meant that it would have a better chance in today's market due to the fact that people are fairly used to paying $100+ for a game bundled with some sort of external peripheral now.  Back when Steel Battalion came out, the only comparable purchase was something like DDR.  But in a world of Rock Band instrument packs and Wii Fit boards, that sort of investment isn't unusual anymore.

Offline mxlm

Obviosly, it comes down to sales. If it's great but not everyone buys it, then the quota is not met and the project was a "failure." Just look at our friend, Lucas Arts: Since when do TIE Fighters have PROTON TORPEDOES?! :hopping:
Wait, LA was appealing to the lowest common denominator by giving TIEs missiles?
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Wait, LA was appealing to the lowest common denominator by giving TIEs missiles?
He's talking about SW Battlefront 2
It was a balance issue: The fact is that TIE's aren't supposed to carry proton torps, but X-wings can, since they are better. But TIEs are far more numerous.

In the game's space stages, what lucasarts basically did was create 4 different ships, then made a model for each of those for every faction, to preserve balance.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline mxlm

Ooooh, okay. Never played Battlefront 2, so didn't know that. Thought he was referring to the X/TIE series.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
oh...yeah....fogot abot battlefront2's crappyness
pandemic games CAN NOT MAKE A SINGLE SEQUEL that does not screw up a franchise.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Enstein said stupidity was infinite, turns out greed is as well. :rolleyes:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Activision-2Q-profit-edges-apf-4090148487.html?x=0&.v=2

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Meanwhile, upcoming releases like Tony Hawk: Ride and DJ Hero, which ship with unique controller peripherals, will likely carry price tags that push £100.

In the latter case, well, okay, fits the grand tradition of Guitar Hero I suppose. In the former case, wtf?
Good, I was starting to think everyone was too blind to notice the hundred pound games sold with game-issued components. :P

What's the exchange rate on pounds to dollars?  Isn't it about two pounds equaling one dollar, or is it more?  The dollar is pretty weak right now.