Author Topic: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?  (Read 76514 times)

Re: What Freespace are you (Re)Playing Now?
It's probably a lot of stuff to read though if you just have text. :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
was it because of dl size or the look of fs1 content

Download size.  A not-insignificant number of people still had 56k modems during HLP's early history.  That's why you'll occasionally see "56k users beware" on old threads, especially image-heavy threads.

The download experience these days is leagues better than it was back then.  Back when we were hosted by 3D Action Planet (pre-2006), all public downloads were required to be hosted by FilePlanet.  You would have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to be "added to the download queue", and then once you were at the front of the line you would have to wait another 10 minutes or more for the download to complete.  (The ST:R trailer gives a wink and a nod to this with "Not Distributed by FilePlanet" in the fine print.)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Oh lord, FilePlanet.  No nostalgia there.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
They were OEM discs included if you bought a computer with a DVD player.  That is, in fact, how I originally found out about FreeSpace.

Here are some screenshots, and here is an old thread on the subject.

Curses, Galemp's comparison screenshots have become dust in the wind.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I looked for the screenshots on the current FSPort FTP, but they aren't there either.

However, we still have the hi-res maps.  Download them here.  You'll need to use the registry tweak if you want to see them in FS1.

Oh lord, FilePlanet.  No nostalgia there.

I was actually able to reclaim some of HLPs old stuff from there while the stuff that was linked elsewhere was already down.

Offline CKid

Just noticed "Into the Depths of Hell" on Knossos the other day. Haven't played that campaign since 2012 and was my all time favorite until BP:AoA came out. Already into the second half of Chapter 2. It may not have aged well but I'am still having a blast with it.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Just noticed "Into the Depths of Hell" on Knossos the other day. Haven't played that campaign since 2012 and was my all time favorite until BP:AoA came out. Already into the second half of Chapter 2. It may not have aged well but I'am still having a blast with it.
I have good memories about it, so I decided to give it a spin too. It has some bugs, writing is dated, lots of old models, but it's still good classic. I don't know who uploaded it but he apparently forgot to attach it to MediaVPs... Which means really classic vibe.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline ShivanSpS

Re-playing FS2 with original graphics, i started playing trying to figureout the issues in Debian Buster with RPI 4 and fs2_open. Now i'm halfway through.

Offline Sutehp

It's been 15 years since I was last here on HLP up until a few days ago. I haven't played Freespace 1 or 2 in almost that long despite having reacquired both games through GOG last year. Now that I found Knossos, I've finally rep[laying FS1 with the FS2 engine and I'm having a blast! Discovering the complete (or at least not totally unfinished as to be unplayable) Freespace mods like Wings of Dawn, Blue Planet and the Ancient-Shivan War is like finding a bunch of good space sim games for free as well!

Once I finish the FS1 port, I'm gonna replay FS2 again and then move on to the Wings of Dawn, Blue Planet and the Ancient-Shivan War mods (not necessarily in that order).

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I just finished my four-day playthrough of FreeSpace 2 on Easy. Got 2B ending because I forgot Capella is timed. I sadly exploded.

I recently replayed Episode 2 of WoD, actually only the 2nd as I learned everything there is to learn about 1 by now.

JAD 2.21 and 2 also. :)

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
I finished the FSPort Campaign on Easy for a two-day run. Not sure what's next. Probably ST:R naturally but I don't know if I'll start tonight, tomorrow, or a while from now.

Offline SypheDMar

• Minecraft
I just finished ST:R. The Hades suddenly went from 10% to 0% at the end, though. Dialogue implies that the Hades was supposed to reactivate its engines but instead it self-destructed. Maybe because I was constantly lobbing harbingers at the engine subsystem anyway?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The Hades is scripted to self-destruct if it's disabled; you must have disabled it immediately after it repaired its engines.  There's no wait for the dialogue before it does the check.

I completed my medium no-death runs of FS1, FS2 Blue and Demo with all the new shinies (only restarts were due to beams as usual, though the Aquitaine only survived with 2% hull on Argonautica). I'm starting on the best fan campaigns now. I'll likely end with WoD, BP and Solaris. 

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Scroll of Atankharzim. bloody fantastic campaign. Just wish I knew how to pronounce it  :lol:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Ah-tan-car-zim?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Scroll of Atankharzim. bloody fantastic campaign. Just wish I knew how to pronounce it  :lol:
Ah-tan-car-zim?

But which syllable is given emphasis? Is it AH-tan-car-zim, Ah-TAN-car-zim or Ah-tan-CAR-zim or even Ah-tan-car-ZIM? :confused: :confused: :confused:

(I think it's the third one, but that's just me.) :p
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast