Author Topic: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within  (Read 190335 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Re: [WIP] Shattered Stars: A Deepness Within
Why are you all doing this. Stop. Just let the wonderful things happen.
you trying to convince him to write a plot that obeys the logic of this dimension are ruining everything

Maybe It's because Hard-light should have standards?

Maybe It's because we are sick of seeing this nonsense in the Recent Posts?  EDIT: I'm pretty sure I only have two posts in here.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:33:36 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Then stop posting in it!

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think I use the different name for this faction: the Unknown Intellectual Mechanized Species, or UIMS.

As Strygon pointed out, you cannot use this name because its already in another incompatable franchise.  Please choose another one to describe the faction of sentient humanoid machines.

First, the Cylon/UIMS attack on the now desolate Earth happens, despite Vasudans intervention, after the very last scene of the 2018 mortal engines film.

No, you can not use Mortal Engines as a prequel, it is in a completely different fictional universe and has no place within the FreeSpace universe.
The Mortal Engines movie (a self-contained story) is local, only on planet Earth. The Terrans nearly wiped out sometime in the 21st and 22nd century in a cataclysmic global conflict, and scientific and technological level have gone down as progress were lost during the war.

No, you can not use Mortal Engines as a prequel.  In addition to my earlier objection, the Mortal Engines universe history is in direct contradiction to FreeSpace's due to the loss of "scientific and technological level" during Mortal Engines.

No, you can not name your conflict "The Great War," as it is used to describe all of the events happening within the first FreeSpace game.
I think it will be called the war to end the universe.

"The War to End The Universe" isn't a very good name, but I suppose we can work with it for now.

I haven't released Act 1 and beyond, I think I may have an idea for a sequel. This sequel would focus on the far future GTVA in its own universe. That GTVA will be the protagonist of the sequel.

Please focus on only one story at a time.

Since we're still having problems defining what the sentient machines be, we should only focus on one faction for the protagonists (the Shivans) and one faction for the antagonists.  I recommend the antagonists be the Battura since that seems to be the most original group you've created thus far.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Let Bryan be Bryan

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Let Bryan be Bryan
In slavic countries, people would say "Someone pour this man a round!".
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

In slavic countries, people would say "Someone pour this man a round!".

But here it's inverted, just think about what Spoon and Strygon already have been through by now. Spoons health is declining to the point he will have a cirrhosis before he can release WoD and Strygon can't work on Operation Cloak and Dagger due to dying from excessive alcoholism.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Let Bryan be Bryan

There is a difference between the posts that are trying (and failing) to help Bryan develop a story he wants to tell, and those shepherding his ideas in a particular for direction.  If Bryan wants to make a crazy mod with a dozen different factions by throwing six different sci-fi universes into a blender and baking a metaphorical cake with the paste, more power to him.  But I think it's perfectly valid for people to try to help him craft something with at least a vague notion of narrative that's actually bloody playable.

Besides, given the way Bryan is responding to posts and backtracking all over, I doubt virtually any of the advice is being followed.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Let Bryan be Bryan

There is a difference between the posts that are trying (and failing) to help Bryan develop a story he wants to tell, and those shepherding his ideas in a particular for direction.  If Bryan wants to make a crazy mod with a dozen different factions by throwing six different sci-fi universes into a blender and baking a metaphorical cake with the paste, more power to him.  But I think it's perfectly valid for people to try to help him craft something with at least a vague notion of narrative that's actually bloody playable.

Besides, given the way Bryan is responding to posts and backtracking all over, I doubt virtually any of the advice is being followed.

Bryan has already attempted this and failed to make a working campaign.  He has an interest in stories, as it is apparent with his wide references to a diverse range of fictional works.  He does not, however, understand the structure of those works and because of this is unable to convey his ideas in a method that others can understand.

Bryan also seems to be unable understand how self-criticism works, making it impossible for him to refine and form works on his own.

But perhaps most importantly, he has been going out beyond our little confines of this website and has us running around embarrassed trying to undo the mess he causes.  We should at least teach him how to be clean about things.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Mine Eyes Have Bryan Seen The Glory Of The Coming Of The Lord
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

We should at least teach him how to be clean about things.

Please read. It says everything there is to say, and the chances for success.
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94941.msg1877636#msg1877636

not my fault is hes

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam

Since we're still having problems defining what the sentient machines be, we should only focus on one faction for the protagonists (the Shivans) and one faction for the antagonists.  I recommend the antagonists be the Battura since that seems to be the most original group you've created thus far.

that's gonna be a negative from me boss, the Battura were straight ripped from Star Ixiom, some rather unknown PS1 game
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter

that's gonna be a negative from me boss, the Battura were straight ripped from Star Ixiom, some rather unknown PS1 game
These models are temporary. They'll be replaced by high-poly models. I liked the recommendation the mod's antagonists be the Battura since that seems to be the most original group I've created thus far. What of the Bosconians and Sadeen?

I've decided to post some progress of my fixing of the bugs.

Mission 1 has been reworked. Added more UIMS and Battura ships to increase challenge.

I've started working on tech room intelligence data for the mod for the factions to flesh out the story.

Note that the screenshot of the FRED editor lack the skybox model rendered. Debug builds should have this skybox rendered along with the TrueType text.

EDIT: One of the screenshots contain spoilers. Proceed with caution.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Soo... Earth is a pure Vasudan colony that is then attacked by UIMS?

Did you actually replace ships in mission 1 or did you add even more? I couldn't play that mission because it crashed, probably because there was too much stuff to load.

Offline Strygon

• Steam

These models are temporary. They'll be replaced by high-poly models. I liked the recommendation the mod's antagonists be the Battura since that seems to be the most original group I've created thus far.
EDIT: One of the screenshots contain spoilers. Proceed with caution.

Didn't I literally just say that this isn't a good idea because the Battura were flat out stolen from Star Ixiom, and are therefore the exact opposite of an original group. Bryan. You did not create the Battura, therefore you CANNOT claim that they're an original group created by you.

And the last thing Mission 1 needs is more ships. Delete some ships for christ's sake, my computer lags when I have the mission loaded in ****ing FRED. This is the first time I've ever had Freespace lag, and that's a pretty clear indicator that you put way too many ships in there.

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Soo... Earth is a pure Vasudan colony that is then attacked by UIMS?

Did you actually replace ships in mission 1 or did you add even more? I couldn't play that mission because it crashed, probably because there was too much stuff to load.
Earth isn't a pure Vasudan colony. Earth is the homeworld of humanity/Terrans.

Spoiler:
The Vasudans happen to be here and has been surveying the planet ever since their arrival. They appear to be witnessing events, the same events that happen in the 2018 Mortal Engines film, which sadly bombed so badly. Until the UIMS attacked. They witness the destruction of Airhaven, the attack on the Shield Wall and the annihilation of most of the airship fleet, and the air raid. Later, in the ensuing attack, the Jenny Haniver was shot down by Vasudan forces while trying to fend off UIMS fighters, and Tom and Hester aboard are killed. Humanity is wiped out to the last individual, and the Earth is ground to dust. It is one of the events that, along with the Battura, may have caused the Shivans to appear.

For Mission 1, I replace ships. It may be caused by a number of ships, but it may be something to do with your outdated graphics card and drivers.

As for the Battura being flat out stolen from Star Ixiom, they are merely temporary models, and that they WILL be replaced by high-poly ones. This is the case for Bosconians and Sadeen. And the UIMS (save for Cylon-based ones).
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Strygon

• Steam
I wasn't talking about the damn ships you dolt, I was talking about the faction.
Replacing the low-poly with High-poly ships just means you're replacing ship models, but in the end, unless you rewrite the story itself (which you really should do), it's still gonna be the bloody Battura. Unless you intend to also change the faction from the Battura to something new and original along the change from low to high poly, in which case you should've said that in the first place anyway.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I wasn't talking about the damn ships you dolt, I was talking about the faction.
Replacing the low-poly with High-poly ships just means you're replacing ship models, but in the end, unless you rewrite the story itself (which you really should do), it's still gonna be the bloody Battura. Unless you intend to also change the faction from the Battura to something new and original along the change from low to high poly, in which case you should've said that in the first place anyway.
The point is, that he wants them to be Battura o___O
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Change them to be Battuta imo.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Change them to be Battuta imo.

Mr Battuta deserves a more honorable location for a monument instead of something based on pirated pixel models.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:28:55 pm by Nightmare »