Author Topic: Model Help: Rotational parts  (Read 5491 times)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Model Help: Rotational parts
How exactly does one make a subsystem rotational?

More specifically on a outdated ship like this:

May you the HLP community help?
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Model Help: Rotational parts
In PCS2, add "$dumb_rotate: 1.0" (on its own line, no quotes) to the properties of the submodel which you wish to rotate, and set the rotation axis as well. That should make it spin around the said axis once per second.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
360° degree rotation per second?, that's good if he's looking to build a giant ventilator.

IN SPACE.

said nothing.
el hombre vicio...

Offline NeonShivan

In PCS2, add "$dumb_rotate: 1.0" (on its own line, no quotes) to the properties of the submodel which you wish to rotate, and set the rotation axis as well. That should make it spin around the said axis once per second.

Thanks, it works.

Quote from: Rodo
360° degree rotation per second?, that's good if he's looking to build a giant ventilator.

IN SPACE.

Hmm, or I could be making a Gravity Well generator. The Great Fighter Troll!

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Good ol' HW1 concept art. Doesn't age.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Somehow, HW1 in general simply refuses to age. After all these years, it still looks amazing.

Did they change this?  It used to be "$rotate=4"
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo

Hmm, or I could be making a Gravity Well generator. The Great Fighter Troll!

Suddenly, the Boobship appeared off the port bow. We found ourselves not only stuck in space, but in front of our viewscreens, paralyzed with the wonder of how such shapely masses could project their power over us...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Dude, fix the UV alignment on those tiles or pick a different model.
It makes me want to go out and murder someone.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?

Did they change this?  It used to be "$rotate=4"

$rotate also works, but it works only on subsystems, whereas $dumb_rotate works even on non-subsystem submodels. I don't really remember if there's anything but historical reasons for why there's two options when it seems one should be enough.

Offline NeonShivan

Dude, fix the UV alignment on those tiles or pick a different model.
It makes me want to go out and murder someone.

The murdering reference was not really called for...if you get me another Vasudan corvette sized AWACS model then message me and I'll be happy to replace it.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Droid803

Bad mapping and/or bad smoothing is uncalled for, it shouldn't even exist. Things should have proper smoothing and well aligned-mapping (even if its tile mapped), or they should be locked up in a forbidden part of the internet where people are not allowed to use it for anything until they fix it.

Seriously, do things properly. Have some standards. Don't use outdated with bad mapping unless you're going to fix it.

Go Upscale the AC Malia from ASW or something. Scaling in PCS2 is as easy as a push of a button and plugging in a single number :|
(´・ω・`)

Offline qwadtep

In fairness, if there were any problems with the geometry messing up rotation you'd probably want to fix them before working on the maps.

Offline NeonShivan

Bad mapping and/or bad smoothing is uncalled for, it shouldn't even exist. Things should have proper smoothing and well aligned-mapping (even if its tile mapped), or they should be locked up in a forbidden part of the internet where people are not allowed to use it for anything until they fix it.

Seriously, do things properly. Have some standards. Don't use outdated with bad mapping unless you're going to fix it.

Go Upscale the AC Malia from ASW or something. Scaling in PCS2 is as easy as a push of a button and plugging in a single number :|

I needed a rotational part for a logical sense for a Gravity Well. Plus a large ship capable of housing the Bal'ran's first ever Gravity Warping
device. I don't think the Malia would cut it.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Droid803

Nonsense. Your technoblabble descriptions can always bend to suit whatever you need. Be flexible with your writing.
(´・ω・`)

Offline NeonShivan

Nonsense. Your technoblabble descriptions can always bend to suit whatever you need. Be flexible with your writing.

So? I'm thinking from a logical standpoint. New technological advancements start out big. Like the first cell phone, or first Howitzer (Big Bertha). Or the first Battleship (The Dreadnought). 

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Droid803

Well too bad, make one yourself or change your backstory for it.

If there's absolutely nothing else that would work. FIX IT.

If you don't know how. LEARN. It's not hard to make something better.

You know what? If you want to defend your choice you using that model I doubt you'll bother quality checking anything else. Use it. Don't fix it. See if I care. It'll just affect your campaign's overall level of quality. Negatively.
(´・ω・`)

Offline NeonShivan

Well too bad, make one yourself or change your backstory for it.

If there's absolutely nothing else that would work. FIX IT.

If you don't know how. LEARN. It's not hard to make something better.

You know what? If you want to defend your choice you using that model I doubt you'll bother quality checking anything else. Use it. Don't fix it. See if I care. It'll just affect your campaign's overall level of quality. Negatively.

Why don't you help me instead of bashing me. Cause clearly thats all your good at.

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Or maybe telling you not to use that ugly model is helping you.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Is the model ugly? Yes.

Is your commentary very insightful? No.

BTA, I commend you on trying to expand upon your skillset. However, with enhancing the appearance of the ship you're trying to use, you'll need more software knowledge than just FSO. Modeling and texturing are tasks unto themselves, and few master both. If you need to use the ship for your purposes, do so. BUT, you should also invest some time in looking into using 3D modeling software programs and 2D art programs. There are many, many software packages out there that are completely free and very much worth your while looking into using. If you want to use the ship in question here, it's probably a good idea to re-visit the model once your general modding tasks are over. Perhaps Droid will not feel so inclined to murder anyone, then.

:)
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke