Author Topic: RELEASE: Knossos.NET v1.0.0: Making a multiplatform C# launcher with AvaloniaUI  (Read 5978 times)

Re: BETA: Knossos.NET v0.2.0: Making a multiplatform C# launcher with AvaloniaUI
Thank you, I guess I was making this a lot harder than I had to because the only way I'd been able to get the old Knossos 0.15 etc. up and running was by building it locally.  Looks like that was an improper assumption!

Got the Appimage x86 linux version running just fine!  Thank you for your kind assistance!
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Re: BETA: Knossos.NET v0.2.0: Making a multiplatform C# launcher with AvaloniaUI
Indeed, this revamp fixes a lot of headaches that the old Knossos/Newer Knossos had getting to work on linux.    There were times when I simply couldn't get those to run on whatever system I had at the time.    So huge thank you!

So ironic that a .NET app became my savior.  It wasn't that long ago when getting a .NET app to run in wine in linux was a real big pain if it ran at all!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I see the option to compress mods during install to save disk space, is there an option to compress mods that are already installed / retail FS assets?  Makes it easier to justify storing FSO on the SSD instead of the gargantuan spinny disk.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I see the option to compress mods during install to save disk space, is there an option to compress mods that are already installed / retail FS assets?  Makes it easier to justify storing FSO on the SSD instead of the gargantuan spinny disk.

Open settings on an installed mod and at the top is the current disk usage for that mod and a button to compress/decompress it. Quick and easy. I think it does require a somewhat recent FSO build to be able to work with the compressed files though, maybe the last two stable releases or so.

Both compression and decompression work just fine on Linux and Windows. However compression is currently broken on macOS, though decompression works, and it can use already compressed files just fine.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hidden Text: Show

Open settings on an installed mod and at the top is the current disk usage for that mod and a button to compress/decompress it. Quick and easy. I think it does require a somewhat recent FSO build to be able to work with the compressed files though, maybe the last two stable releases or so.

Both compression and decompression work just fine on Linux and Windows. However compression is currently broken on macOS, though decompression works, and it can use already compressed files just fine.

I see it, thanks!

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Heya. I saw some mentions of this launcher so gave it a whirl over December. Seems to be working superbly (quite smooth and fast), but my 'explore' tab seems to only show a few mods compared to the screens posted earlier in the thread (attached a screen below)?

I noticed the update log it shows at the bottom mentions mods that do not appear on the list too, so it may be my Knossos isn't showing them? Felt I should post in case others run into the same and someone may know whether I've done something wrong?

In case it is to do with version, I am running 'v0.2.0-RC9', and IIRC kept settings as-are minus tweaking the folder the library installs to.

Cheers ShivanSpS for an excellent launcher. :yes:
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
That's a known issue where it doesn't properly detect that retail FS2 is installed. The simple fix is to go into the FS2 directory in your library folder, and rename "Root_fs2.vp" to "root_fs2.vp". Basically, just make sure it's all lowercase. The next time you run Knossos it should now show all of the mods properly.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
That's a known issue where it doesn't properly detect that retail FS2 is installed. The simple fix is to go into the FS2 directory in your library folder, and rename "Root_fs2.vp" to "root_fs2.vp". Basically, just make sure it's all lowercase. The next time you run Knossos it should now show all of the mods properly.

Aha! Many thanks for your help Taylor. Thankfully filename was right, but your advice helped me also realise I hadn't guided Knossos to my FS folder in the settings.
All mods now appearing. :yes:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 09:50:57 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Haha, yeah, it's always one of those things  :D

Glad you got it sorted!