Hosted Projects - Standalone > The Babylon Project

A couple FRED Questions

(1/1)

Malderi:
Hey guys, I'm new here; big fan of B5 and FS2. At any rate, I just found out about your project and am working on some FRED missions for Release2 B5 - just for some fun. At any rate, my current project is a Battle of the Line map - from the Minbari side (flying a Nial) At any rate, a couple questions:

1. Is there any way to make an event (like "beam free all") affect ALL capital ships? Because right now, it's getting really annoying having to do all those for the, erm, large amount of them present.

2. Is there a hard maximum cap to the number of units? FRED crashes around 75, but it varies sometime, so it might be poly count, I'm not sure.

3. Any ideas for how to break in the "surrender" part of the story within the mission? =)

Thanks guys!

Cyber Phoenix:
Use FSO, it as a option to turn on all the beams for the mission as well as increasing the limits of several things.

SCP

capsfan9803:

--- Quote ---Originally posted by Malderi

3. Any ideas for how to break in the "surrender" part of the story within the mission? =)

Thanks guys!
--- End quote ---

I'd beam-lock and turret-lock all capships (on both sides) and change the IFF of the humans to neutral.  Send a message or two, ordering all the minbari fighters to cease fire and maybe explaining that you have surrendered.  If you don't want to put that part in the mission, be sure to explain it in the debriefing.  Just a few ideas!

Malderi:
One more thing: While adding a few more things (like initial orders for fighters and capships etc) - I seem to have broken the mission. Whenever I open in it FS2 it immediately crashes, doesn't even take me to the loading screen. Been fiddling with it for the past hour trying to undo things but no go. Is there a documented crash bug that might cause this? I haven't been doing any advanced stuff yet, just basic things like ship/wing orders.

karajorma:

2. Is there a hard maximum cap to the number of units? FRED crashes around 75, but it varies sometime, so it might be poly count, I'm not sure.
--- End quote ---

There is a hard limit to the number of ships that can be present in a mission (around 100 If I remember correctly) but it sounds like you're running into the other limit (tota number of subsystems allowed in a mission)

One more thing: While adding a few more things (like initial orders for fighters and capships etc) - I seem to have broken the mission. Whenever I open in it FS2 it immediately crashes, doesn't even take me to the loading screen. Been fiddling with it for the past hour trying to undo things but no go. Is there a documented crash bug that might cause this? I haven't been doing any advanced stuff yet, just basic things like ship/wing orders.
--- End quote ---

It's quite possible for FRED to completely bork a mission for no apparent reason. In these cases it's usually simpler to open a second copy of FRED and just rebuild the mission from scratch.  If you'd caught it the second you made the change you could have used the .bak file in your missions folder to get back the unborked version but since you've probably made edits and saved since then it's probably a backup of the broken version by now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version