Off-Topic Discussion > Programming

Java vrs J#

(1/2) > >>

Topgun:
well, I have to learn one or the other. so, what's better?

karajorma:
J# was designed as a transition language to get Java programmers to convert to programming for .NET. The eventual goal was probably to get them to code in C#.

I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to start off on a transitional language. Especially since Microsoft themselves have basically said that although they'll be supporting it for a while they won't be adding support for it into future Visual Studio programs.

Either learn Java or C#.

Topgun:

--- Quote from: karajorma on August 18, 2008, 02:31:39 pm ---J# was designed as a transition language to get Java programmers to convert to programming for .NET. The eventual goal was probably to get them to code in C#.

--- End quote ---
I didn't know that, I guess java then.

--- Quote from: karajorma on August 18, 2008, 02:31:39 pm ---I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to start off on a transitional language. Especially since Microsoft themselves have basically said that although they'll be supporting it for a while they won't be adding support for it into future Visual Studio programs.

Either learn Java or C#.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't be "starting off", I already know c and am leaning c++.
but anyway C# seems cooler but no one seems to have .net, while everyone has java.

blackhole:
J# is no longer supported by Microsoft (because they got sued over it).

WMCoolmon:
Java's main draw, and what saves it from obviously faster languages like C and C++, is that it can run on practically any platform and in any environment, including a web browser.

J# does not support any of this, although it does apparently have an ActiveX workaround for the internet - so you're locked into people using Internet Explorer.

Go figure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version